2.3 TURBO CHANGE? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 2.3 TURBO CHANGE?

TSRAGE
30th March 2004, 10:51 AM
I AM GOING TO CHANGE THE TURBO ON MY 99 9-5 2.3L TO THE LARGER "AERO" MODEL MITSU. MY QUESTION IS DO I NEED TO CHANGE THE PCM PROGRAMING RIGHT AWAY OR CAN I DO THAT WHEN I MAKE OTHER MODS (I.E. EXHAUST AND INTAKE CHANGES). I KNOW I WILL NOT SEE THE TURBO'S TRUE POTENTIAL UNTIL THE OTHER CHANGES ARE MADE BUT WHILE I HAVE THE ENGINE OUT IT IS A LOT EASIER TO MAKE THE SWAP NOW? THANKS TOM.

Toreador93
8th April 2004, 10:24 PM
#1 - Please turn caps lock off.

I think you can put the new turbo in without reprogramming the ECU.

Of course, I don't know what kind of performance you'll get with the new turbo. If you go that route, you'll probably want to beef your intercooler up, among other things. The Aero engine is different than the '99 engine, and to get an increase large enough to see the difference, engine mods will be a must. I think the new turbo is needed for stage 4. So unless you're going that route, I don't see a need for it.

TSRAGE
8th April 2004, 10:33 PM
Caps lock off, bad habit. The deal is this, my engine is/was blown and is at the machine shop, which is doing some headwork to improve the flow properties and some lower end work as well. I will eventually get to the stage four set up, for now I was going to set up the engine internally, install the larger turbo and larger downpipe and catalyst and larger intake pipe while it is apart. i just don't want want to end up with any drivability concerns. i will end up close to the four thousand dollar mark with upgrading the pcm, so if i can hold off for a month or so that would be great. Thanks for the reply. Tom.

Toreador93
9th April 2004, 02:08 AM
Since you're modding the engine itself, you might want to find those weak areas and see if you can improve them. I don't recall what they are, but perhaps someone else can fill you in. You might find something in searching this forum. I think I might take a look around later, too.

Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?

TSRAGE
10th April 2004, 07:57 AM
I have an auto trans, I would rather have a stick but I picked the car up at the right price so I really have no right to complain. In fact the trans is my only fear I have once the car starts making some higher torque and horsepower.

Toreador93
11th April 2004, 03:38 AM
The TCM in the auto will/should limit the torque to 229 lbft. I guess it doesn't affect hp at all, since even stage one has more torque than the auto can handle, and everyone with the upgrades have around the specified hp.

As for the weak points on the engine, other than the DI Cassette (not much you can do with that), turbo, and hoses, I couldn't find anything.
I remember reading somewhere, though, that the vavles or something were stronger in the Aero. Maybe the guy working on your engine has some suggestions.

Let us know how it turns out, though. I don't think anyone here has taken their 9-5 past Stage II.