lpg conversion [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: lpg conversion

my 900
16-06-02, 05:24 PM
converted last year 900s lpt 1992 had a few teething troubles but i can now keep my eyes on the road instead of the petrol gauge. its only 32p a ltr so i can boot it and not lose my smile

Ruby
17-06-02, 11:11 AM
Any loss of performance? What were the teething troubles?

my 900
18-06-02, 03:17 PM
had trouble tuning to a happy medium. either used too much gas trying to keep maximum power output. or tune it to "grandad" mode for best fuel consumption. it also developed a "flat spot" if you floored the pedal in too high a gear so labouring the engine.i have had an electrics upgrade since as STARGAS went out of business. all ok now. lpg has a lower octane than petrol so there is a negligable power loss. but it has been the best money i have spent as it means i can drive how i like without checking for th e dreaded orange fuel light.

Fakie
19-06-02, 07:31 AM
How did it cost you to get it done ??

my 900
19-06-02, 02:25 PM
when i originally had it done over two years ago it cost me 1300 as this was with an installer that had not touched a turbo system. this did not work as saab's have to be tuned on the move as the ecu needs to be remapped so they took the gas kit out, refunded my money. i then went to SARBKAR IN LIVERPOOL as they had converted a turbo before but with quality comes cost so it cost me 1350 plus vat.12 months later they discovered an electrical upgrade that cost 200 but it was well worth it. they should now have a price for this upgrade include in the gas kit, but to hazard a guess i'd say 1600 but give tony a ring and he has probably got a demonstator to show you the conversion but failing that iwill give you a spin in mine. SARBKAR TEL NO 0151 448 1184

Fan-TC
21-06-02, 08:18 PM
lpg has a lower octane than petrol so there is a negligable power loss.
UM, don't you mean that the octane rating of LPG is higher than petrol, hence no performance loss.....

Thats the way it is here in AUS where 98ron is the best we get....

It would also not make any sense to say lower octane so no power loss... LOWER OCTANE = POWER LOSS

Keith
21-06-02, 09:43 PM
Octane rating of LPG is higher than petrol, but it's calorific value is less.

So...

You can squeeze it harder (run higher boost) but you have to burn more of it to get the same power (doesn't matter cos it's cheap).

However because it's octane rating is that much higher and so flame speed is lower, the only thing I would be concerned about is setting the timing correctly to keep EGT down.

Keith

Alex
22-06-02, 06:20 AM
LPG has an octane rating of 110! But as Keith says calorific value is less.

What is the electrical upgrade that you have had done, is it too the timing or the fueling.

my 900
22-06-02, 04:48 PM
sorry about misquote but there is still a slight power loss but hardly noticable. As car is dual fuel when i have flicked it over from gas to petrol it is negligable the difference in performance. i have lost a lot of space in back as i have had a 90 ltr tank fitted but in hind sight i would have had a do-nut tank fitted in spare wheel well. i am also on 215/45/17 so when i have a full gas tank and 4 passengers i rub the arches and speed humps are a nightmare.

zibello
25-12-04, 06:14 PM
Hi, I have a 900s LPT and am interested in a LPG conversion too. I wonder how it works and how you are getting on after some more miles on the clock? What is the average gas consumption?
Thank you and best wishes.
Zibello

unkleG'sif
27-12-04, 07:49 PM
SarbKar Rock

Ive thought about the practicalities and obvious environmental benefits of lpg (saabs hardly hug trees and stroke bunnies), but whats out me off is losing the space in the cave at the rear (boot).... where's your tank?

G
Sunny Tocky
Liverpool

uberfast
28-12-04, 09:57 AM
How well does lpg mix with turbocharging at around 15 psi?