SaabCentral Forums banner

Decided to buy a 2011 9-5 Aero

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Imspace2 
#1 ·
Well folks, after a long thinking effort I've decide to take a plunge and buy a 2011 9-5 Aero. The deal was too good to pass up. I believe there are only a handful of these left in the country. Currently I have a 2002 9-5 Aero and have been eyeing something new. I looked at BMW 328 M-Sport X-drive, Volvo S60 R-Design and Audi S4. All in the $50k range. In the end I went for the 9-5. The Saab has all the things that I've been looking for: four wheel drive, great steering wheel, great steering feel, phenomenal seats, paddle shifters, unique styling. All the things that the journalists did not like about this car, I actually prefer: the egg crate vents, the dash with sea of black and the simple monochromatic display scheme are all positives for me. The big question around service and parts I have put to rest. I know that some on this board have left the car for this reason, but I feel this is worthwhile risk. Questions for the folks here:
-am I crazy by making this purchase?
-any watch outs or areas of concern with the car?

thx
Poluski

#2 ·
I understand you completely. Let me tell you my story. I purchased a new 2011 Volvo S60 T6 AWD in June 2012. It had been sitting on the lot so I got a pretty darn good deal which was roughly 8,000 off of the 41K MSRP. Don't get me wrong the Volvo is nice, fast, and a comfortable ride but that is where it ended. I did not have this face when I got into the Volvo :D. But rather had this face :roll: which basically says why am I spending all of this money for something that I do not get excited about driving. So about 2 weeks ago, I left the Volvo with 10,000 miles on it with its full factory warranty for 5/50 and full maintenance program for 5/50 for a 2010 9-5 with 20,000 miles with no manufacturer's warranty and no maintenance program. I personally said screw it since this might be my last chance to own a newer Saab. I put down an extra $1800 bucks for a very comprehensive service contract for 3/36. Now each morning I get into the 9-5 and this is my face :D:lol:;ol;.

Now on to what you were saying. Since you are not loosing a bunch of money by trading in a newer vehicle like I did then I would have to say you are clearly less crazy than me. But here might be the difference or not. I actually prefer to work on my own vehicle as much as I possibly can conducting all maintenance myself. I also have a pickup truck used to pull our camper that I can use in the case that my car might have to sit for a few days for a part. Then again I am in New Orleans in which Saabs are few and far between where you are in MN which appears to have many more Saabs and shops to service them.

I personally think great for you! If you had bought the BMW or Audi I would have been upset. The Volvo S60 R-Design is quick and a very nice car and if you really liked it I would have been go for it! I think the 9-5 is better for me and seems to be better for you. Remember it is your money and you get to spend it the way you like.

Just curious what 2011 Aero did you purchase. There were only about 15 or so listed around and I searched the entire US when I was looking for mine. I decided on the 2010 due to rather not have the sunroof and price (remember I traded in my 2011 Volvo that also enjoys depreciation).

Good Luck and post some pics. Also make sure to join http://www.facebook.com/groups/162858857140881/ which is a group for NG 9-5 owners!

#5 ·
Shbiv, wow I think you did a crazier thing than I did. That gives me more confidence. I got the car Saab of Memphis. It's still there actually. It will be transported in next couple of weeks. It's a base Aero in silver. I actually prefer not having a nav system or heads up display. Also I'll be sticking with 18" rims. Based on a recent article in a car mag, it seems that larger wheels actually slow you down in acceleration. Yes I'll be getting a warranty through a local Saab/Cadilac dealer. 6yrs /100k miles. The only mod I'd like to do is to add a rear lp spoiler just for a little unique touch. Thx for the replies.

#6 ·
Good for you! That is a nice vehicle - I did keep an eye on that one. It was originally in Iowa with some other inventory from a dealer in Iowa. It looks like Saab of Memphis bought that dealers inventory since they were not able to move the inventory. Saab of Memphis is being regarded as one of the best Saab shops around - I am glad they are only about 400 miles from me! I really wanted the NAV system which was extremely hard to find. I agree with you about not getting the HUD especially since you can't get replacement HUD windshields at this time and no one knows if you ever will. Good job on getting the service contract also. Sounds like you have all basis covered and are just in the waiting phase - Don't want to fly to Memphis and pick the car up and drive it back?

#7 ·
I looked into driving it back but in the end it is not worth it. Cost of flight, hotel and my time would be more than the cost of transport.

Also I have another question for the owners. What is the typical gas mileage folks get with the V6? I talked to one owner and he said he gets mid 20s MPG. Others?

#9 ·
I've got 50k on my 2010 9-5 Aero and I agree

I do a combination of highway and city driving around 55-60 miles a day and get 20-21 mpg. I have got closer to 25-26 on highway with the cruise set around 70 mph.

Congrats on the new car ;ol;, I have loved driving it every day I have had it.:D

JTMav

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.