Does the PPC come with a power supply. [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Does the PPC come with a power supply.

Saba
26th March 2004, 02:56 AM
I was trying to connect the BSR PPC to the PC via USB, but no recognition (*** Windows). Tried the COM1 but I think I need power. There is a power input but I don't seem to have a power supply with mine. Anybody know?

USNA '00
26th March 2004, 03:34 AM
I am not sure of the answer, but I thought USB provided power to whatever peripheral was plugged into it...Otherwise, I don't think optical mice would work. Maybe I'm wrong though. :-)

Saba
26th March 2004, 03:51 AM
I am not sure of the answer, but I thought USB provided power to whatever peripheral was plugged into it...Otherwise, I don't think optical mice would work. Maybe I'm wrong though. :-)Yeah I get power via the USB, but the PC wont recognise the PPC. So I thought I would try the COM connection, but I need power for that.

Paul
26th March 2004, 05:31 AM
At present the PPC needs to be connected with the USB & the Serial cable, USB for power, Serial for communications.

However unless there is something you actually need to download/upload via the PPC there should be no need to connect it to your PC. When the PPC is first supplied, the latest software is already ready for use, any updates will be notifed via BSR.

LinearSLT
26th March 2004, 10:33 AM
BSR should do a little more market research. Saab owners have a overwhelming tendancy to own Macs as a group (probably not to surprising really...they are both for the 'Think different' crowd). So they should ensure their upgrades work on both PC and Mac platforms. Currently they must be using USB just for power, but if they can figure out T8, they surely can make the USB the only necessary cable for doing downloads from the web. Then a little java or mac app to do the updates and we're ready to go.

Larakin
26th March 2004, 10:53 AM
BSR should do a little more market research. Saab owners have a overwhelming tendancy to own Macs as a group (probably not to surprising really...they are both for the 'Think different' crowd). So they should ensure their upgrades work on both PC and Mac platforms. Currently they must be using USB just for power, but if they can figure out T8, they surely can make the USB the only necessary cable for doing downloads from the web. Then a little java or mac app to do the updates and we're ready to go.

It takes a lot of development to make drivers for both platforms, I understand that the T8 is a conplicated system but it is nowhere near as complicates as a full computer systems. Currently it is easier to make Drivers and software for the windows platform. Apple is very protective of the inner workings of thier system. Personally I would prefer to keep thier expertise on the engine management than spend too much time trying to make it user frinedly.

On another note, who says Saab owners have an overwhelming tendance to own Macs. I have been a geek for a long time and am a multi-platform user. I see an overwhewlming tendancy to drive linears. :nono; Maybe all the Mac owners drive linears :lol: because they cant handle all the power of the 2.0T!!! :cheesy:

Sorry thats a funny Geek ananlogy!! 8)

93-4ME
26th March 2004, 11:26 AM
2 cables for people that can't figure out 2 mouse buttons? :lol:

Sounds like trouble :wink:

joshd2012
26th March 2004, 02:39 PM
Macs suck! Long live my dying PC!

That is sort of weird that you need both cables to connect it to the PC. Of course, I can see where it would be easier to do it as such. I'm sure they will eventually get it all going through the USB. Look how long it took them to get it so you didn't need to send your ECU to them... what, a couple months?

Castor Troy
26th March 2004, 07:23 PM
yeah err, i know lots of people that own saabs, and i dont know anybody with a mac, other than one of my teachers (he doesnt own any saabs)

LinearSLT
28th March 2004, 08:07 PM
Interesting....didn't mean to start a Mac vs PC war. :oops: I was just asking for Mac support, which should be damn easy. the built in USB driver for Mac is usually enough and I've never had to download USB support for any peripheral (treo, nikon D11, printer, scanner etc). The mac figured out what to do on it's own.

BTW if you want BSR to ignore Macs since they are only 4% of the market, then don't all be so upset when tuners and aftermarket companies ignore Saabs, which hold less than 0.1% of the world market for cars. It's absolutely amazing anybody makes anything for Saab actually, isn't it ?

I prefer to think of it this way...it's not the total percentage who own something that is important. It's who they are. In Apple's case, 68% of Nobel Laureates use Macs, 80+ percent of all news and magazine print is done on macs and I could go on with TV and music and movies. They are a rather influential 4%, and I'd like to think Saab drivers are like that too.

Reds 9-3
30th March 2004, 01:15 PM
Interesting....didn't mean to start a Mac vs PC war. :oops: I was just asking for Mac support, which should be damn easy. the built in USB driver for Mac is usually enough and I've never had to download USB support for any peripheral (treo, nikon D11, printer, scanner etc). The mac figured out what to do on it's own.

BTW if you want BSR to ignore Macs since they are only 4% of the market, then don't all be so upset when tuners and aftermarket companies ignore Saabs, which hold less than 0.1% of the world market for cars. It's absolutely amazing anybody makes anything for Saab actually, isn't it ?

I prefer to think of it this way...it's not the total percentage who own something that is important. It's who they are. In Apple's case, 68% of Nobel Laureates use Macs, 80+ percent of all news and magazine print is done on macs and I could go on with TV and music and movies. They are a rather influential 4%, and I'd like to think Saab drivers are like that too. I second that. PC users are usually narrow minded when it comes to this discussion, I think the foward thinking frightens them, but then again if they drive SAABs they can't be all bad. I do think BSR coul easily give us a version for MAC that really isn`t asking too much by they way LinearSLT I obviously own a MAC and a Linear, am I not able to use the BSR PPC at all? :-??

LinearSLT
30th March 2004, 06:25 PM
You can use a BSR PPC no problem. But if and when BSR has a software upgrade, you can't download it from their site with a Mac and then upload that to the PPC unit.

Actually, that's not quite true. You can download the file from the BSR site, and you can unpack it running Virtual PC or equivalent. But without a com port you can't download that file to the PPC. It would take very little work for BSR to make the communication line be USB and not the com port. Then both Mac and PC users could download from the web site and upload to the PPC controller.