SaabCentral Forums banner

$30,000 Paperwork (potentially)

3K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  JBiz 
#1 · (Edited)
( I meant $30,000 paperweight)

Oh man, I may have a true Saab story brewing.

Car: 2011 Saab 9-5.

About two weeks ago engine light starting coming on. Last weekend driving back to Philly from Baltimore I get an Engine reduced power message and barely make it off 95. Let car sit for about 20 mins. Checked gas cap, oil levels etc. Car gets me back to Philly.

Monday morning driving to work in Jersey, car does same thing. I take it to Saab mechanic.

Car had 9 error codes that they cleared. None were valid. Next day same thing, take it back to mechanic. It's been sitting in his shop since Tuesday.
Today I talk to them. They tell me that the car has error codes that aren't even listed in the Saab manual! They've had a call into Saab support for past 2 days, and haven't recieved a response.

They think it may be one of 3 parts. They mentioned an EMC and a throttle body part. But get this: THESE PARTS ARE NOT AVAILABLE AT ALL according to GM parts!?!?!

If this is the case, what do I do with an undrivable car? Are there legal options? Parts sources that the dealer may not be aware of?

...if I can get it fixed I may have to seriously consider selling this thing right away. Such a shame, lovely car. :cry:

See less See more
#5 ·
Hi, thanks. I certainly hope you're right. I thought the same thing as well. The dealership told me that they checked with GM Parts and they came back as unavailable.

I did however, call my old Saab mechanic in the DC area. He told me to call him with the exact parts numbers when I find out, and he may be able to track them down.

#6 ·
you have a v6 or a 4 cyl? v6 is a common cadillac cts engine;4 cyl turbo has been around for ever in 2.0 and 2.3 versions. for ever..,
. the GM guys play the same dumbass deal up here. The GM parts computer shows all the saab parts, but only specific GM dealers sell the stuff for huge markup in many cases. I dont know anywhere in NJ specifically but I have folks down there I know that can help if need. BUT the folks on this forum are pretty sharp, so dont worry too much. Facts, trouble codes numbers and part numbers are what you need, for sure. and keep asking here, good luck.

#8 ·
Its sad that GM management have their heads so far up their a**s they cant see that a happy saab customer would be a repeat customer for something else GM. Instead, the folks are keeping their saabs as long as they can, and then buying anything but a GM product.

you cant treat people badly and expect them to come back. even the dealers havent figured that out it seems Good luck keep posting!

#10 ·
Yes! Throttle body it is. Part located and in transit. The hold up was Saab 'support'. They never got back to the dealer. The dealer ended up taking the TB off one of their mechanic's Saab 9-5 to test it on mine to confirm that that was the part I needed.

Be ready either this Friday or Monday. Damn I miss my car, lol.
$1065...ouch...not covered under my warranty. But I just want my car back! Lol.

Happy to know that parts are available. :D

#11 ·
Now I am angry and share your pain that the throttle body was not considered part of powertrain warranty, and I would have been happy to check that part for you, and see what common parts there are out there... but it looks like the deal is done.

I typically see throttle bodies for 2.0 LNF (Cobalt) and LHU (Buick) (Turbo GM/Saab derivative ecotec) engines costing about 300 dollars... sorry to say.

Happy its correct and running well. Curious to know how a Throttle body can screw up, I am sure it happens, but they are pretty darn reliable as far as I know.

#12 ·
Yea, I'm not sure at all. Through my limited research, it seems the Throtle body may be a part of the exhaust system, and thus not powertrain?

Anyway, I'm way too busy to focus on finding parts for a car. I was seriously considering selling this car and getting that new Benz CLA. But, this part availability has kinda extended my faith a bit.

#13 ·
throttle body controls the amount of inlet air pressurized by the turbo, into the engine. It is correlated by the Engine Computer, to fuel, injected into the cylinder head ports.

The throttle body is an electrically triggered device, it has a tiny electric motor that opens and closes a round blade in the inlet tube. It is activated by the gas pedal as it is moved, the gas pedal has an electric "trigger" . There is no physical connection between the gas pedal and the throttle body, hence "drive by wire".

hope this helps. Glad you got your car back, Mercs are soo...u know...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.