Chargcooler [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Chargcooler

Custard
13th June 2002, 07:39 AM
Does any one have any info on Chargecooler kits available for the 900 T16? Looked at the Abbott kit but it only handles 12PSI of boost. Any one know if abbott will sell the kit minus the core so I can drop a Pace one its place?

Cheers

john-w
13th June 2002, 09:33 AM
Pace manufactor the Abbott charge cooler, but can't sell you one direct as Abbott paid for the development costs! But they could make you a chargecooler as long as it wasn't a copy of the Abbott version!!

Alex
13th June 2002, 11:56 AM
Where did you find the info that it only handles 12psi of boost from, seems rather low. A standard plastic capped intercooler will take more than this without coming apart.

The best bit of the Abbott kit is the core, the water pump is too small as is the additional radiator and the pressure switch only comes in and out with boost. Really needs some additional running time after boosting.

niko
13th June 2002, 02:13 PM
Hi alex.
Well, i'm waiting for the Abbott chargecooler since a month and i'm asking myself about what do you mean when you say "needs some additional running time after boosting" ?

Janne Selinummi
13th June 2002, 04:20 PM
Alex, that 12 psi limit is announced at http://www.twinsaabs.com at least.
The other guy who istalled the Abbott chargecooler told that the core had broken after a short time of use, and that when trying to get use of the unit's warranty, Abbott Racing had stated that there's a limit of 12 psi of boost that's the maximum the chargecooler core can handle. It's a surprise this isn't mentioned on the Abbott website or anything. The guy didn't get anything back from the warranty, because he had ran more boost.
This is a good reason why the chargecooler kit is mentioned as an improve to 900 LPT on the Abbott website.
If 12 psi is enough for you, then the Abbott kit is OK, but above that, it will break. And this is not to say the product is bad, not at all. Only it's designed to be used with lower boost levels.

Alex
13th June 2002, 05:02 PM
The water pump for the charge cooler switches off when coming off boost, leaving warmish water surrounding the core. The pump really needs to keep running to pull the cold water in the front rad into the water jacket ready for the next time on boost.