Trionic 8 issue: Chip, boost controller etc.? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Trionic 8 issue: Chip, boost controller etc.?

Chizmaniac
23rd March 2004, 08:07 PM
Hello!
the question is: do any brave soul studied a possibility of installing advanced boost controller computers like GRedy or less cool stuff by APexi to T8 systems?

Or it is better not to mess with all that stuff and purchase aprox. 30 hp from ppc?
(both items cost around 1000 usd)

My point is - electronic boost controller allows one to use standard or slightly higher pressure for everyday driving and high values for racing with some bmws m5 for example, while any chiptuning prog. tells turbine to output the same raised pressure all the time (even in heavy traffic jams) so the engine and tirbine components got worn (loose their max. output efficiency) earlier than you would ever whant it to.

SS
23rd March 2004, 08:09 PM
I am not sure that these boost controllers exist for the T8's!!

Chizmaniac
23rd March 2004, 08:18 PM
I`am not sure too, but they exist for any turbo car, a mean they are universal! ;)

the reason of doubt - would Trionic 8 give a freeway for the installers of the device? (does it have any restrictions, chip integrity checks in it self)

p.s. Do not be offended...bsr ppc is just an example of sucessful chiptuning idea !! ;)

joshd2012
23rd March 2004, 08:35 PM
There has been no sucess as of yet to getting a boost controller to work on a T8. On the T5, a simple MBC (manual boost control) was all that was needed. On the T7, it got a little trickier. The MBC had to be placed in series (SMBC). For the T8, none of these have worked. I'm sure someone will figure out how to add a boost control eventually, but there is nothing out there right now.

Javier
24th March 2004, 12:02 AM
hi,

using external boost controller (manual or electronic(HKS,Greddy,Blitz,etc..)) will not work with the T8. You can increase the boost via the controllers, but the T8 will reduce the Throttle opening to achieve the desire airmass. So increase in backpressure. Also this might cause pinging and kill the engine when running on poor conditions and bad fuel as the T8 is not able to reduce the boost.

I believe most Saab tuners not only increase boost to achieve higher torque, but also re-map the timings and the fuel supply to achieve a good A/F.