THOUSAND ISLANDS MEET !!!!!!!!!! (Canada, US) [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: THOUSAND ISLANDS MEET !!!!!!!!!! (Canada, US)

SS
21st March 2004, 10:23 PM
You guys!!! After talking to SaabScott and Brunp (Paul), we decided to attempt to organize a meet for all Saab owners. The place is the Thousand Islands (i dont know where that is) and the time is yet to be decided. We chose this place because it would be somewhere in between Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto. According to the guys, the place is very nice and has beautiful scenery and good places where we can all have lunch. Please let us know what you think of this idea and PLEASE propose any ideas of your own (time, place, anything that comes to mind!!! Thanks!!!

Wesam 8)

brunp
21st March 2004, 10:34 PM
Please note, there is also a border crossing with New York not to far North from this location (HWY 81, leading to/from Watertown) so any nearby New Yorkers are welcome as well....

If there will be enough interest, we will begin to list a few dates. I was thinking of the May/June timeframe when the weather is nice and warm.

Thanks
Paul

SaabScott
22nd March 2004, 08:08 PM
We have to remember that Cleve is having a gathering the weekend of May 22, 23 (and I am going to that :wink: ).

How about early June?
Depending on the dates, a cruise around the Thousand Islands might be a good way to spend the afternoon ... although, if it is too early in June, the wind off the water will be quite chilly!

jetman
22nd March 2004, 08:12 PM
I would be in, but I will be out of the country for the last two weeks of June.

maallen40
22nd March 2004, 08:18 PM
Sounds good Scott. I never say no to a party.

Have you guys just started talking about this meet? 1000 islands is a beautiful place for a meet.

I'll be watching this thread.

Michael

DeLorean
22nd March 2004, 08:21 PM
Me was well, always up for a saabmeet :)

http://69.161.50.228:90/gallery/albums/saab-sightings/IMG_0229.jpg :cheesy:

SS
22nd March 2004, 08:25 PM
Early june sounds perfect to me. I will also be out of the country at the end of June!!!

MonkeyMan
22nd March 2004, 09:14 PM
Would one of you folks mind sending me a case of salad dressing? It's a bit of a drive for me. :lol: :lol:

BEN

brunp
22nd March 2004, 09:49 PM
Glad to hear there there is interest.....early June is good to me. Are we thinking of the first weekend or second weekend? I am assuming it would be a one-dayer???

A) Weekend of June 5/6
b) Weekend of June 12/13

I am still undecided on whether I will attend the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal on June 13th or not....however, pending on the day that most will probably like to meet, I may sway myself in favor for a Saab meet?

By the way...I noticed on Mapquest there is a street that connects the islands together? Can anyone confirm that?

Paul

brunp
22nd March 2004, 09:51 PM
Would one of you folks mind sending me a case of salad dressing? It's a bit of a drive for me. :lol: :lol:

BEN

You can even take some with you across the border on your way back!! :lol: :P

SS
23rd March 2004, 01:01 AM
A) Weekend of June 5/6
b) Weekend of June 12/13

If its option A, then i will make it, but if its option B i wont be able to attend as it is the grandprix weekend!!!

brunp
23rd March 2004, 07:55 AM
So far, we have:

A) Weekend of June 5/6 (2 people)
- BrunP, SS

B) Weekend of June 12/13

SaabScott
23rd March 2004, 08:50 AM
So far, we have:

- BrunP, SS

B) Weekend of June 12/13

Option A works for me ... count me and mine (wife and 2 kids - at least for now) in.

Perhaps Jetman might be able to make it now ... :wink: :wink:

As for a road connecting the islands ... not that I am aware of. :nono; :roll:

brunp
23rd March 2004, 10:52 AM
- BrunP, SS, Saabscott

B) Weekend of June 12/13

As for a road connecting the islands ... not that I am aware of. :nono; :roll:

I saw this on mapquest...just east of Kingston (around the area where you see Treasure Island on the map)...or, am I looking at an incorrect area???

http://www.pbrun.net/saabcentral/1000island.jpg

Paul

SS
23rd March 2004, 01:58 PM
So you are saying that the thousand islands is somewhere aroung the area if treasure island?

brunp
23rd March 2004, 02:05 PM
So you are saying that the thousand islands is somewhere aroung the area if treasure island?

I know it is between the border crossing with US-81 and Kingston....

For more information, see:
http://www.visit1000islands.com/

You can learn everything there is to know about this
region.....in the about section, there is a regional map and it takes 2.5 hours from Montreal, 1.5 from Ottawa, and shows other places as well. So, that means, it will probably take less than 2 hours for you and about 1 hours for me. :P

Paul

D. Wolfe
23rd March 2004, 07:07 PM
Did anyone happen to see WOLFE ISLAND on the map??......I OWN IT ALL....IT'S MINE...HAHAHAHA!!!
EVERYONE MEET THERE...FREE...THE ENTIRE ISLAND COMPLIMENTS OF WOLFEMAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Tweek's Turbos
23rd March 2004, 07:57 PM
I vote for the weekend of the 5th. I'm about 2 hours or less away. This will make 3 saab meets in a row for me :cheesy: (I only get every other weekend off)

P.S. I once attended a Professional Car Society meet in Kingston. We toured Boldt Castle, and mirandered around the area. The drive up wasn't that bad.

brunp
23rd March 2004, 08:03 PM
A) Weekend of June 5/6 (4 total):
BrunP, SS, Saabscott, Tweek's Turbos

I guess since we already have 4 so far, and none for the other weekend, we will keep it to the above date.

Remember...all are welcome and we have Wolfe Island all to ourselves too. :wink:

Paul

SS
23rd March 2004, 08:06 PM
Good to hear that there is interest. I really want this to happen as it will be my first saab meet :cheesy: How much enthusiasts do you guys think we need (minimum) so we can make it official ?

SaabScott
23rd March 2004, 08:12 PM
We toured Boldt Castle, and mirandered around the area. The drive up wasn't that bad.

Been there ... it's a great place!
Maybe we will be able to do that if the weather is warm enough for the Thousand Islands cruise. :cheesy:

As for Wolfe Island ... I noticed, but just didn't say anything! :wink: :cheesy:

SS
23rd March 2004, 08:14 PM
How would you guys want to do this. Like what time, what are we going to do there and how much time are we gonna spend together? Any ideas?

brunp
23rd March 2004, 08:31 PM
SS, Saabscott,

Let's move the discussion of what to do, details, etc...offline and then post a plan and move it to the "Events" database....

How does that sound? I will do some digging this week
into various places in and around the Thousand Islands
area....and will send you guys (through PM) some ideas...

Paul

SS
23rd March 2004, 08:35 PM
Sounds good to me. I will try myself to get some more information too!!! Happy hunting :cheesy:

SaabScott
23rd March 2004, 08:47 PM
Perfect plan Brump!

D. Wolfe
23rd March 2004, 10:07 PM
We toured Boldt Castle, and mirandered around the area. The drive up wasn't that bad.

Been there ... it's a great place!
Maybe we will be able to do that if the weather is warm enough for the Thousand Islands cruise. :cheesy:

As for Wolfe Island ... I noticed, but just didn't say anything! :wink: :cheesy:

Gonna go take my humor and the BMW I am going to buy this weekend and leave now...for Wolfe Island!!

SaabScott
23rd March 2004, 10:10 PM
Gonna go take my humor and the BMW I am going to buy this weekend and leave now...for Wolfe Island!!

We've been down this road before ... don't you dare! :cheesy:

Wamphyri
24th March 2004, 01:09 PM
I'm in for sure any date is fine with me! Since it not that far of a drive for me its gonne be a good time for sure!

SQR-900T
24th March 2004, 03:18 PM
Id probably be in, I noticed there is another Montrealer here, maybe we could convoy up there. Now I just have to convince my girlfriend a "bubble car" convention(as she calls SAABs) would be fun. I know...Ill just omit the part about the meet, women love the 1000 Islands lol.

jetman
24th March 2004, 03:48 PM
I'll bring a lady friend for her to hang out with so they dont bother our car time :cheesy:

SS
24th March 2004, 04:43 PM
Id probably be in, I noticed there is another Montrealer here, maybe we could convoy up there. Now I just have to convince my girlfriend a "bubble car" convention(as she calls SAABs) would be fun. I know...Ill just omit the part about the meet, women love the 1000 Islands lol.

Thats exactly what i was thinking. We convoy up there. We have also another montrealer who im trying to get in touch with!!!

SS
24th March 2004, 04:47 PM
So BrunP, SS, Saabscott, Tweek's Turbos, wamphyri, SQR-900T and Jetman are in, anyone else i forgot to include ?? (apologies)

SaabScott
24th March 2004, 08:03 PM
I just ran across a snag ... we have a wedding in Guelph on Saturday June 5th ...

The best I can hope for right now is that we hold this gathering on the Sunday and everyone else here feels up to a drive on Sunday. :roll:

Sorry about this guys ... if for whatever reason I can't make it ...

You have to go on without me ....

I'll talk to the wife about it more when she gets back and see what we can come up with.

Tweek's Turbos
24th March 2004, 08:06 PM
I'm clear for Sunday too, So whats up guys? Any day is good.

jetman
24th March 2004, 08:12 PM
I just ran across a snag ... we have a wedding in Guelph on Saturday June 5th ...

The best I can hope for right now is that we hold this gathering on the Sunday and everyone else here feels up to a drive on Sunday. :roll:

Sorry about this guys ... if for whatever reason I can't make it ...

You have to go on without me ....

I'll talk to the wife about it more when she gets back and see what we can come up with.

Your friend or hers? Surely you can get out of a wedding! Just how close are these people? Is it worth going, is the marriage going to last? Four or five years down the road you dont want to be saying "I knew I should have gone to Kingston!"

SaabScott
24th March 2004, 08:20 PM
Your friend or hers? Surely you can get out of a wedding! Just how close are these people? Is it worth going, is the marriage going to last? Four or five years down the road you dont want to be saying "I knew I should have gone to Kingston!"

Hardy har har! :cheesy:

Sorry Jetman ... compromise may be one of the reasons I have been married so long ... :wink: (sorry, I had to say something :roll: )

Actually, Sunday should work (unless we stay over night which I was never planning on anyway :roll: ).
If she doesn't feel like going to Kingston, I'll just bring Dyllan with me instead. :cheesy:

jetman
24th March 2004, 08:26 PM
Is it really comprimise when one person is doing all the comprimising? Now just who wears the pants here? :nono; :cheesy:
And despite what my recent adventures might suggest, it was not my philandering that lead to the end. You have fun at your wedding, if you can make it there with all the stupid traffic lights in that town!

SS
24th March 2004, 08:32 PM
For me, sunday is cool. It doest matter what day as long as its on that specific weekend. I hope that everyone else interested can confirm sunday!!!

jetman
24th March 2004, 08:48 PM
Sundays are out for me. I work and cant get out of Sundays under most every circumstance.

brunp
24th March 2004, 08:59 PM
I am a go for either day.....I am quite sure the day will include a stop at Tim Horton's :o Need that coffee to get going. :cheesy:

So, whether it is Sat. or Sun? It doesn't matter. We lose a person either way. :(

Paul

SaabScott
24th March 2004, 09:21 PM
Sundays are out for me. I work and cant get out of Sundays under most every circumstance.

Jeff, I know that I will feel fine that day, but I'm sensing a cold (or something similarily capacitating) coming on for you ... :wink: :cheesy:

SS
24th March 2004, 09:25 PM
Ok so what you guys gonna decide ?

Tweek's Turbos
24th March 2004, 09:52 PM
Wait wait wait. Guys, Lets have the meet at the wedding reception. :cheesy:

Think about it, how much money could we save. And if the bride is hot, we can all snag a smooch. :wink:

SaabScott
24th March 2004, 09:54 PM
I don't want to say Sunday unless Jeff (Jetman) knows for sure that he is going to be sick ... :wink: :wink:

I just got a note from Hotwiredca .. he is in too! :cheesy:

SS
24th March 2004, 10:01 PM
Wait wait wait. Guys, Lets have the meet at the wedding reception. :cheesy:

Think about it, how much money could we save. And if the bride is hot, we can all snag a smooch. :wink:

HAAHAHAHAHAH, thats a good one tweak !!!

jetman
24th March 2004, 10:08 PM
Forget the bride, I'm sure I'd like to take a run at the bridesmaids. Are we talking open bar here? I look good in a suit!
Sunday's really are totally out. But watch me come in and do fek all all day!

SaabScott
24th March 2004, 10:17 PM
Forget the bride, I'm sure I'd like to take a run at the bridesmaids. Are we talking open bar here? I look good in a suit!
Sunday's really are totally out. But watch me come in and do fek all all day!

Jetman, why don't you make a weekend of it?
Head out there on Saturday, enjoy the peace and quiet.
Join us on Sunday until you have to head back to work ...

I know, it's pushing it, but if we are going to do this on Sunday, we would like you to be there. :wink:

brunp
24th March 2004, 11:15 PM
Jetman....what is it that you do that requires you to be at work? Are you a doctor? Do you work at McDonalds? If you work at McDonalds, I think you could swing a Sunday :lol: but a doctor on the other hand....hmm, that is a tough one.

Where do you live to be exact?

Paul

SS
25th March 2004, 05:22 AM
Jetman, i am also seconding that notion. Ditch work!! :evil:

jetman@home
25th March 2004, 10:00 AM
I live in Hamilton but I work in Toronto. I work for a bank. The investment bankers I work for need 24/7 supervision and there is noone else that will come in on a Sunday. There are are exceptions...or car problems...I can be late. I'm supposed to be there at nooon, but I havent showed up before one in about 2 years. Three wouldnt be too much. Four would be! How long is the drive from Kingston? At the limit? At 150?

viconti
25th March 2004, 10:23 AM
I am new to the board and I would like to attend as well.
Victor
Montreal
PS: I have posted this already, do you guys know where can I buy second-hand (used) parts for my 1988 9000 SAAB in Montreal area? I cannot afford to buy new ones.
Thank you

SaabScott
25th March 2004, 11:13 AM
I am new to the board and I would like to attend as well.
Victor
Montreal
PS: I have posted this already, do you guys know where can I buy second-hand (used) parts for my 1988 9000 SAAB in Montreal area? I cannot afford to buy new ones.
Thank you

Welcome to Saab Central viconti!

We look forward to meeting you in June!
As for parts for your 9000 ... if you have asked that question in the 9000 Workshop forum, then you have hit the right place ... if not, that would be a great place to start! :cheesy:
Good hunting! 8)

brunp
25th March 2004, 01:28 PM
I live in Hamilton but I work in Toronto. I work for a bank. The investment bankers I work for need 24/7 supervision and there is noone else that will come in on a Sunday. There are are exceptions...or car problems...I can be late. I'm supposed to be there at nooon, but I havent showed up before one in about 2 years. Three wouldnt be too much. Four would be! How long is the drive from Kingston? At the limit? At 150?

According to the Weather Network, the distance is about 260 km between Toronto and Kingston. I am not sure how accurate that is, or from what point they are calculating it as Toronto is a very big city. The 1000 islands website indicates that the time to travel is 3 hours....however, I think that is over-stated as I can get to Toronto from Ottaw and 3 and a half or so....and I know that to Kingston is about 1.5 hours....., so @ 150km/h....

I will create a distance map from mapquest detailing information from various points in Ontario to a come place in 1000 islands, like a Tim Hortons....famous landmark.... :-)

Look for that this evening....

Paul

SS
25th March 2004, 06:21 PM
Looks like we have another montrealer who's gonna join in the convoy :cheesy:

SaabScott
31st March 2004, 07:45 AM
For all of those interested, there is now a thread in the Events Forum. (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27361)

SaabScott
30th May 2004, 11:27 AM
Better to bump this one than to start a new thread ...

Ok folks, 1 week today we will all be on the road (or just arriving) at Gananoque for the Thousand Islands meet.
I have checked the travel time from the Tim Horton's at Weston Rd and the 401 and we are looking at approximately 3 hours and 20 mintues to cover the 170 miles ..
I have suggested we bump the Tim time up to 7:00am.
Please respond in the Event forum if you are going to meet up at Tim's ... I don't want to leave anyone behind. :wink:

Looking forward to seeing all of you (and meeting some of you for the first time)!

I know there are a number of people I have conversed with lately that said they would be there ... perhaps we should gather a complete list of folks who will be making the trip ... we can do this in the same thread in the Event forum.

Scott

Tweek's Turbos
30th May 2004, 12:34 PM
I scratched some info down and am checking to see if a post was made about it on TSL. Ok, I just posted about it.

So who is going? Delorean you still going?