Magnaflow MPG [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Magnaflow MPG

Jet 9-3
20th March 2004, 02:41 PM
I don't want to jump to conclusions after one tank, but since installing the Magnaflow, my average mileage went from arounf 24 MPG to around 22 MPG. Anyone else who installed one notice a reduction? I certainly don't feel an added performace boost to warrant such a decrease...

moz
20th March 2004, 06:04 PM
Jet: That doesn't seem right at all. If anything the Magnaflow should be more efficient than the OEM muffler it replaced.

Did the installer add any additional pipe? (which would have needed to be bent). I would double check the pipe work and the welds to make sure you don't have a leak. Other than that I don't think it would contribute to a decrease as significant as that. Recheck your calculations again to be sure.

Jet 9-3
20th March 2004, 10:52 PM
Jet: That doesn't seem right at all. If anything the Magnaflow should be more efficient than the OEM muffler it replaced.

Did the installer add any additional pipe? (which would have needed to be bent). I would double check the pipe work and the welds to make sure you don't have a leak. Other than that I don't think it would contribute to a decrease as significant as that. Recheck your calculations again to be sure.

The did add small piece of pipe. I'll check tomorrow.

I'll wait until I have more mileage before seeing if anything really changed

CallipNCSUsaab
22nd March 2004, 12:45 AM
wow, yeah something seems odd there. I want to say mine has gone up.. not much, just like 1-2 mpg.

mav238
22nd March 2004, 02:30 PM

The did add small piece of pipe. I'll check tomorrow.

I'll wait until I have more mileage before seeing if anything really changed

Jet 9-3:

How long have you had the muffler put in?

I have had mine in close to a year now. Initially when it was installed, gas mileage remained the same. Lately I achieved 10% improvement in fuel consumption by using Chevron fuel system cleaner, and I don't think the muffler has anything to do with the difference you are seeing. There is not too much the muffler installer can change in the piping, unless he really does not know what he is doing.

Jet 9-3
22nd March 2004, 03:25 PM
Jet 9-3:

I have had mine in close to a year now. Initially when it was installed, gas mileage remained the same. Lately I achieved 10% improvement in fuel consumption by using Chevron fuel system cleaner, and I don't think the muffler has anything to do with the difference you are seeing. There is not too much the muffler installer can change in the piping, unless he really does not know what he is doing.

It's only been in a week and a half, but it was just weird to see the SID read 21.8 when I first filled up the tank a wek after the install- when it ALWAYS says 23 minimum, and usually 24.5. This was also confirmed by the 21 MPG I got when figuring at the pump (I normally get 1 MPPG less than what the SID says)

I reset it this morning and I 'll monitor it(and get a real sample the next time I fill up as well)

mav238
22nd March 2004, 05:40 PM
Jet 9-3:

It's only been in a week and a half, but it was just weird to see the SID read 21.8 when I first filled up the tank a wek after the install- when it ALWAYS says 23 minimum, and usually 24.5. This was also confirmed by the 21 MPG I got when figuring at the pump (I normally get 1 MPPG less than what the SID says)

I reset it this morning and I 'll monitor it(and get a real sample the next time I fill up as well)

Hey, maybe the more aggressive exhaust sound made you a little heavier on the gas pedal :cheesy:

But seriously, even with my more agressive driving pattern following installation of the Magnaflow and JR filter, overall avg gas mileage remained the same. Only thing that impacts the gas mileage is when I find myself driving more in heavy congested traffic, which sends my consumption from 10.2L/100km to as high as 10.7L/100 km.

Jet 9-3
22nd March 2004, 11:46 PM
Hey, maybe the more aggressive exhaust sound made you a little heavier on the gas pedal :cheesy:

You may have something there. :lol:

It is nice to pass people with the car rumblin, ain't it?

mav238
23rd March 2004, 12:15 AM

You may have something there. :lol:

It is nice to pass people with the car rumblin, ain't it?

yup, did just that this afternoon on my way to home. Saw this older 1996 RX7, with a serious dual exhaust "dunk" type muffler, rumbling along the hwy, cutting in and out of the traffic. So I thought, what the heck... why not... :D
So putting my sentronic into manual, I had my 9-3 in 4th and simply tailed the RX7 at a distance of only half a car behind. Boy, that deep exhaust note during acceleration was totally intoxicating! :cheesy: Came to a light, stopped behind him. His engine revving... and the light goes green, road is totally clear ahead, accelerating from 1st gear, came up close behind him (boy, I sure love the crazy pull of the turbo in 1st and 2nd), squirted to the left and push the car to 4000 rpm in 2nd, gear up quickly to 3rd and then 4th, and push the car to 5500 rpm in both gears and I was coming up 100 km/h real quick. Heard the raucaus of the RX7 exhaust, but he was about 6 cars behind me, when I came to the next light, put it back into 3rd --> 2nd, rumble down, and saw him coming up behind me real fast... But I kind of wonder why did he bother to race up behind me when I am slowing down??? :o

Anyways, always a joy to push that turbocharged engine with the magnaflow barking, turbo whistling and the JR whooshing!
:cheesy: