SaabCentral Forums banner

An I crazy buying a 9-5 Aero?

7K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Marcd7 
#1 ·
I currently own a 2002 9-5 but am considering upgrading to a 2010 9-5 Aero (possibly a 2.0T but more likely a 2.8T). My big concern is availability of parts in the future. I'm in Australia and there aren't many 2010-12 Saabs around. Are parts likely to be available in the future, even if I have to order them internationally? Are these engines common to other models, increasing the likelihood of parts supply?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

#2 ·
Are you crazy buying a 9-5 NAW (good Scottish word) get stuck in and buy one. Regarding parts i have a 9-5 Aero 2011 have needed a couple of things (heated seat element and steering column solenoid) whilst you could argue these should not have failed so early in the cars life the parts were readily obtainable through the ex dealer.
Arra best whatever you decide
Beetee

#3 ·
I purchased a 2010 Aero in June 2012 and got rid of it less than 3 months later. A transmission issue ended up taking nearly a month to fix and at considerable cost. Even when it was working I was always afraid some small part would disable my car.

I posed a similar question few months before I purchased the car but was ultimately won over by the looks and performance. I wish I had listened to the original advise I was given and stayed away, it would have saved me a lot of money in the long run.

#4 ·
I'm coming up on 12 months with an 11' Aero and almost 20k miles ... not a single issue other than needing a software update to the NAV system (which fixed a number of minor issues and was accomplished for $60.)

Probably the most trouble free new car I've ever owned.

Ken

#11 ·
Missleman,

I live in Boston and went to an ex-Saab dealer and got a quote of 1150$ for the firmware upgrade on the infotainment system, and was told that it has a 3-4 day turn around. I told them I'll just live with the Washington DC start point and the forgetting everything bug.
Apparently, it can be done for a lot cheaper. What do you suggest I do to get the price in the 60-100$ range?

BY the way, at 95k miles, no significant issues yet. The engine is way more reliable than my 2006 9-5 so far. I love it. The windshield also seems to be of a better quality (my older 9-5s scratched up easily).

The stuff that I have changed so far (2.8 aero):
2 coil packs, 6 plugs, heat element in driver's seat and some ordinary maintenance items, e.g. battery, a bunch of filters, oil.
I'm beginning to wonder if the transmission fluid needs to be changed at some point.

#13 ·
Their $1150 option involves removing your radio/NAV and sending it into United so they can replace the hardware. The good news is, from what I hear, that is a permanent fix. You can contact Julie Gardner at Kelly SAAB in PA for details. If you took it out yourself and shipped it to United, it runs about $650.

Or, you can get the software update. This worked for me. I had it done in Spring 2012 and it is still holding strong. It fixes Washington DC, NAV not holding route when you power off the car, and the clock being one hour off half of the year issue. I think that's about an hour of labor to do. Have your official SAAB Service Center contact Al in Parts at Saab of Memphis for details on how to do it. Good luck.

#15 ·
I drove mine virtually 3 hours in a whiteout in N. Va back in February. It handled great while I counted about 13 other cars slide off the road. There was at least an inch or two of snow accumulated on the highway. (It was a remote part of I-66 so there weren't many places to stop).

I had a 1999 9-5 which I loved and still kind of miss, but this new 9-5 is amazing and semi-exclusive.

I fixed the seat heater myself, and got the saab secure bumper to bumper warranty which fixed the navi for me.

After the first couple of quirks, it has been a joy to drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.