BSR PPC Tuning update [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: BSR PPC Tuning update

jmcorsi1172
18-03-04, 10:25 AM
Well I think I found the problem. It turns out the gas tank was empty although the gas guage said it was full. Now you all might think I am a little bit stupid but here is what happened . . .

During this winter here in Boston, at times the temperatures were very low, 20-30 below zero. One day after one of the cold spells my SID light bled so when it was time for service, I asked the dealer to replace the instrument panel which they did.

I left the car at the dealer with 1/4 of a tank of gas. When I returned to get it, it had 3/4 of a tank. Although I thought it was strange that I had more gas I thought they might have out gas in to check the brakes (they also replaced the break pads). Two days later the gas gauge said the tank was full but I had not put any gas in it. Last year the gauge said it was almost empy although I had a full tank but the car reset itself. I figured this was just another glitch.

However this morning I decided to get a coupl eof gallons of gas and sure enough the car started. I took it to a gas station and put in a total of 16.5 gallons (the tank capacity). Now when I turn the car on, the gas gauge says I am empty and the warning light is on. Essentially the gauge is giving an opposite reading. This is problem was probably related to the new instrument panel. It's going back to the dealer today.

By the way, BSR responded to my email. Here is what they said:

"Itīs impossible for us to say whatīs wrong with your car by mail or telephone.
You must leave the car to the garage for an careful examination, to find out whatīs wrong.
As you explain the symthoms it canīt be anything wrong with the tuning .

Regards BSR"

Looks like this all may have been complete coincidence. I'll let you know.

Saba
18-03-04, 10:31 AM
Great, I'm looking forward to it now. Somebody else had the same problem with the fuel gauge. Can't remember who, mikej I think.

Edit: Yes mikej
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19503&highlight=polarity

joshd2012
18-03-04, 10:44 AM
Well, its good to hear that it was only a gas related issue.

moz
18-03-04, 10:46 AM
I am sure a few people are breathing easier now :), good to hear you have the problem licked.

JHAZ
18-03-04, 10:53 AM
Thats good news. I had the same problem twice with the gas gauge. The really cool thing(or uncool) thing is that if you drive the gauge will now go up indicating more gas is in the tank until it indicates full. Its like the logic somehow inverts the output and shows you the opposite of what is actually there. They reset my ECU and everything works fine again.

jmcorsi1172
18-03-04, 10:59 AM
As soon as this is fixed it's back to the PPC upgrade. I can't wait to have the enhamced performance again. Good to know others have had a similar problem and it is completely unrelated to the tuning.

Also, based on reading a the related note from Mike posted in this thread he had the same problem. It must have had to do with having some options changed, like having the doors lock once moving.

I have to say BSR's response time was excellent. I received an email right away. Still glad I bought it. Best $1000 I have spent.

SS
18-03-04, 12:59 PM
what happened to your other WARNING thread ?

Paul
18-03-04, 01:20 PM
what happened to your other WARNING thread ?

The title and content of the original thread has been shown to have been very misleading/unfounded as well as potentially libelous....

We do have to consider the legal implications to SaabCentral of these types of posts.

Now that the issue has been resolved and shown to be unconnected to the PPC, it was felt that it was in the best interests of all concerned to remove the original thread. This was done with the full knowledge of the original poster.

03_Saab 9-3
18-03-04, 01:30 PM
Hey my neighbor had the same exact issue with the gas guage etc... unfortunately it took them 3 tries to fix it to get it right for them.. he was pissed... had to have the car towed once, him and his wife share the car, he said oh nice she filled it up.. well it was bone dry!

suyoungman
18-03-04, 11:30 PM
Any other problems experienced in the PPC upgrade???

SS
19-03-04, 02:52 AM

We have a bunch of people who purchased the PPC unit and no one has had a single problem related to it!!!

Reds 9-3
19-03-04, 11:05 AM

We have a bunch of people who purchased the PPC unit and no one has had a single problem related to it!!!Saabnut is the gas gauge issue caused by the PPC upgrade or is that a SAAB software glitch? The reason I ask is that I am a day or two away from ordering the BSR upgrade from Genuine SAAB and I want to be sure it's the right purchase.

joshd2012
19-03-04, 03:21 PM
Saabnut is the gas gauge issue caused by the PPC upgrade or is that a SAAB software glitch? The reason I ask is that I am a day or two away from ordering the BSR upgrade from Genuine SAAB and I want to be sure it's the right purchase.

If I remember correctly, he had someone on the dash replaced. It worked fine when he turned the car in (to the dealer), but it was bad when he got the car back. He didn't realize the problem until the car was out of gas. It had nothing to do with the PPC, but rather a fault when the dealer was fixing something.

jmcorsi1172
21-03-04, 11:13 PM
The problem with the guage only occurred after the service. BAsed on another post I read, it may have been due to some additional programming I had performed, like the doors locking automatically once moveing 10 m.p.h. The car is back at the dealer now and I should have it back tomorrow.

Saba
21-03-04, 11:44 PM
jm

You said in a previous post that when you re-installed the PPC you felt it was not quite as good as before. Is that still the case?

jmcorsi1172
26-03-04, 10:15 PM
Saba,

Works like a charm now. I think it had to do with the adaptation. After the first upgrade, I was able to do the "quick" adaptation. Wasn't able to do it the second time. No problems now.

jmcorsi1172
26-03-04, 10:15 PM
Saba,

Works like a charm now. I think it had to do with the adaptation. After the first upgrade, I was able to do the "quick" adaptation. Wasn't able to do it the second time. No problems now.

SS
27-03-04, 04:19 AM
I think its better to take it easy on the car after you install the PPC. When i installed mine, i drove for a bit going max 3500-4000 rpm, then after i thought the adaptation period was over, pedal to the metal :wink:

mbodo
27-03-04, 06:36 PM
I think its better to take it easy on the car after you install the PPC. When i installed mine, i drove for a bit going max 3500-4000 rpm, then after i thought the adaptation period was over, pedal to the metal :wink:

Weird, when I received the latest factory update, the tech said "drive it fast now and it will learn you like to drive that way" .. so I hammered it for about two days straight.

I think I'll try the same method with the aftermarket update and see where it gets me.. (shrug)