More on 9-7X... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: More on 9-7X...

20Ted
17-03-04, 09:39 PM
A GM executive has finally confirmed a few more details on the 9-7X...

- it WILL have a center ignition :cheesy:

- it WILL have a totally different suspension setup than the other Trailblazer derivitives (including front and rear dampers, front and rear sway bars, and steering rack!)

- the standard GM architecture has been shortened for the Saab variant for stiffer, sportier handling

- Although the initial engines aren't any different, the Saab model will get engine "enhancements" before the others

- 18" wheels will be the standard at introduction, and they are working on 20" rims for later introduction

- GM is insisting that it is NOT an exercise in badge engineering, that from the A-pillars forward is an all new vehicle

Now - where is that ever elusive spy picture??? Amazing that GM has been able to keep this under wraps...

CosmicSaab
18-03-04, 11:14 AM
A GM executive has finally confirmed a few more details on the 9-7X...

- it WILL have a center ignition :cheesy:

- it WILL have a totally different suspension setup than the other Trailblazer derivitives (including front and rear dampers, front and rear sway bars, and steering rack!)

- the standard GM architecture has been shortened for the Saab variant for stiffer, sportier handling

- Although the initial engines aren't any different, the Saab model will get engine "enhancements" before the others

- 18" wheels will be the standard at introduction, and they are working on 20" rims for later introduction

- GM is insisting that it is NOT an exercise in badge engineering, that from the A-pillars forward is an all new vehicle

Now - where is that ever elusive spy picture??? Amazing that GM has been able to keep this under wraps...

I have been trying to tell people this for a while now, maybe they will listen to you, they sure didn't listen to me.

I am dissapointed that they will be using the V8 in this, the OHV V8 just does not fit in with the Saab image, the I6 works perfectly though IMO.

20Ted
18-03-04, 12:27 PM

I just discovered that thte official photos of the 9-7X will be released to the public on April 7th. GM has embargoed the photos and much more information until that date...

squishmann
19-03-04, 10:54 PM
i am a happy person. i thnik i may go to N.Y. to see it in person.

i just hope it has a lot of goodies and can make me like it more than the T-Reg/Cayenne

CosmicSaab
20-03-04, 09:21 AM

I just discovered that thte official photos of the 9-7X will be released to the public on April 7th. GM has embargoed the photos and much more information until that date...

Your talking to yourself. :cheesy:

But really, I wonder why the 7th.

20Ted
20-03-04, 09:31 AM
I think they picked April 7th because they will be transporting and setting up for the NY show which opens April 9th, and during that setup, someone's going to get a spy pic finally...

fabric
23-03-04, 11:07 AM

Take a look at all the existing SUV's based on this platform. Cosmetically, they are all fairly different. GM's doing a pretty good job there.

But this thing is still a body-on-frame SUV competing against a field of unit body SUV's. You really think it's going to be better than the Volvo XC90 or Touareg? Or the X3 or X5? Hell, even the Caddy SRX? What about the Acura MDX or Lexus RS330? Those are the Saab's competition.

Putting the V8 in their at a price point that beats these playeres is the best move these guys could make, because it will be faster than all of these, and that will be a big selling point. But if the V8 costs as much as the Touareg V8 or BMW X5, GM is not going to have done itself any favors.

CosmicSaab
23-03-04, 11:13 AM
The GMT360 is a very good platform. Chevy did a biturbo version (of the I6) of the TrailBlazer a while back and one of the big car mags tested it. They got numbers that were better than the X5 from it. It was also crazy fast, but that's not the point. This platform is very flexible and will work just fine. Plus is will make it a true SUV, not a hybrid, which will give it more credibility with some. Besides this is only the first generation, it will get better as time passes.

fabric
24-03-04, 02:16 PM
The GMT360 is a very good platform. Chevy did a biturbo version (of the I6) of the TrailBlazer a while back and one of the big car mags tested it. They got numbers that were better than the X5 from it. It was also crazy fast, but that's not the point. This platform is very flexible and will work just fine. Plus is will make it a true SUV, not a hybrid, which will give it more credibility with some. Besides this is only the first generation, it will get better as time passes.

The fast argument is good. I've already said that's going to be one of the strong points with the V8.

What do you mean by a "true SUV?" This is a very fuzzy distincation anymore. the Touareg and X5 perform as well off road as a Land Rover Discovery, and significantly better on road.

Without some sort of major feature to set the 9-7 apart, I don't see what's going to get customers into Saab showrooms to look at it.

CosmicSaab
24-03-04, 07:18 PM

The fast argument is good. I've already said that's going to be one of the strong points with the V8.

What do you mean by a "true SUV?" This is a very fuzzy distincation anymore. the Touareg and X5 perform as well off road as a Land Rover Discovery, and significantly better on road.

Without some sort of major feature to set the 9-7 apart, I don't see what's going to get customers into Saab showrooms to look at it.

Not just fast but it will handle well too. And by a true SUV I mean body on frame. And the X5 does not perform well off road. Touareg does but the X5 is like the MDX and RX330, it is meant for on road use only.

fabric
25-03-04, 02:40 PM
Not just fast but it will handle well too. And by a true SUV I mean body on frame. And the X5 does not perform well off road. Touareg does but the X5 is like the MDX and RX330, it is meant for on road use only.

Body on frame does not automatically mean better performance off road.

The X5 didn't do well because it frequently had 20 inch, high-performance road tires on for these tests. Which is one of things the 9-7 may have. Doesn't matter what the frame type is, you'll get horrible off-road performance.

Put the right wheel/tire combo on an X5, and it will be right up there with the Touareg and Land Rovers.

And the 9-7 is getting suspension mods and tires for optimal on road performance. It is going to be stiffly sprung with low profile tires. The 9-7 will not be a good off-road performer even with body on frame construction.

CosmicSaab
25-03-04, 07:46 PM

Body on frame does not automatically mean better performance off road.

The X5 didn't do well because it frequently had 20 inch, high-performance road tires on for these tests. Which is one of things the 9-7 may have. Doesn't matter what the frame type is, you'll get horrible off-road performance.

Put the right wheel/tire combo on an X5, and it will be right up there with the Touareg and Land Rovers.

And the 9-7 is getting suspension mods and tires for optimal on road performance. It is going to be stiffly sprung with low profile tires. The 9-7 will not be a good off-road performer even with body on frame construction.

No the X5 will be stuck at the bottom of the hill because it has not low range gearing or any locking differentials, something both the Touareg and the Disco have.

And I never said that body on frame meant better off road ability, but some people do see it that way. And yes, the 9-7x will be like the X5 in that it will be designed for on road performance, not off roading. I also imagine that like the X5 it will just have an AWD system with now low range, etc.

fabric
26-03-04, 10:34 AM
No the X5 will be stuck at the bottom of the hill because it has not low range gearing or any locking differentials, something both the Touareg and the Disco have.

And I never said that body on frame meant better off road ability, but some people do see it that way. And yes, the 9-7x will be like the X5 in that it will be designed for on road performance, not off roading. I also imagine that like the X5 it will just have an AWD system with now low range, etc.

You're right. I can't believe I forgot about that. ALthough I'm going to guess the 9-7 will have low range, since the platform it's based on does, although they could get rid of it.

You may have never said anything about the body on frame off road performance, but you definitely implied it. Thanks for clearing up your stance on that. Body on frame does usually give better towing numbers, that's one place it does have an advantage.