16S - how much does the fuel matter ? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 16S - how much does the fuel matter ?

chris
8th June 2002, 05:53 PM
I am thinking of getting 16s, but have an LPT at the moment

The Form & Function book says that the 16s performance is best with the highest octane fuel (98 Ron), but runs on anything over 91Ron

What difference to bhp does the fuel octane make ?
What about optimax ?

tandino
9th June 2002, 12:53 PM
The use of lower than 98 ron in my experience gives a big difference in performance, ask any of the others into performance on this site- Alex,AlanB,JohnW,Keith and myself and i think i can safely say that we all try to use Optimax.
It feels like youve left the handbrake on without it!!!
I reckon that you lose a good 15 bhp between 98.6 ron of Optimax and normal 95 ron unleaded.

Pete.

Mark P
9th June 2002, 03:13 PM
I agree. Even in NA Saabs, it makes a noticable difference. I use optimax pretty much all the time (I can't afford a turbo!).

Fan-TC
9th June 2002, 10:12 PM
Definitely run optimax in a turbo. For minimal extra cost per tank it makes a huge difference to drivability.

Johann F
10th June 2002, 01:46 AM
Mixed results with Optimax - a bit more power at high speed/boost (not loads) but a sluggishness off boost . That's with my Lucas FI setup though which is a bit more sophistaicated and adaptable than the Bosch - which may respond better. Not worth the extra unless you drive with your foot to the floor all the time IMO.

Matthew
10th June 2002, 10:06 AM
Evo magazine ran an interesting article on the use of Optimax last month. Reported cleaner engines and smoother running, but no mention of power increase.

But 81.9 pence per litre? That's 8 pence per litre more than normal unleaded!

Johann F
10th June 2002, 10:10 AM
Yes - I've heard it does a good cleaning job - I've used it about 1 tank in 5 fillups so far for that reason.

Mark P
10th June 2002, 12:00 PM
Try on run your tank down first so that you've as little regular in the tank before filling up. It seems to take a short while for the engine to realise that it's got higher octane fuel, but I really do think it makes a difference. I'm not sure it's as much as the brochure says (something like a couple of car lengths faster to overtake a standard artic), but pickup is definitely sharper IMHO...

Alex
10th June 2002, 03:15 PM
The difference in boost that the car will hold is very noticable between Optimax and regular. The APC really pulls the boost down.

Mark P
13th June 2002, 11:42 PM
Notice any difference?

brianhanley
24th June 2002, 06:18 PM
waht the hell is optimax??

john-w
24th June 2002, 06:26 PM
It's a slightly higher octane rated fuel sold by Shell in the UK!!

automec1062
24th June 2002, 08:26 PM
for us on the other side of the pond we dont get optimax (that i know of) i'm using NOS octane booster . on just pump permium i get to 19 psi boost and it cuts out ,with nitrous oxide systens street formula (3 point ) octane boost 20psi and strong pull through 5th gear , with NOS race formula (7 point with some nitro )octane boost i'm hitting 24psi of turbo boost in 5th and more traction problems in 1st and 2nd. but boy is it FUN. this is the first octane boost product that i found that actually works .

mike

Alex
25th June 2002, 03:26 PM
The 98RON rating of Optimax is roughly equivalent to 93 sold in the states.

93Saab900s
25th June 2002, 04:43 PM
shell sells 95 around here, i dont bother to buy it tho, too expensive.

Id rather put mobil 1 in, oil at least lasts 3000 miles.