Saab 95 Performance Upgrade [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Saab 95 Performance Upgrade

tmcafee
15th March 2004, 06:53 PM
I just bought a 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero and would like to add on some performance upgrades. These cars are so complicated these days that I don't wknow here to start. Eventually I want to upgrade the ECU but that's a little expensive for now. Air filters, intake, exhaust, dump valves, delivery pipes, intercoolers..., where do I start? I would like to put about $1,000 into to start off with. Any suggestions or do I need a new credit card?

JCarpio
15th March 2004, 07:22 PM
Most of what you've added exhaust, dump valve, intercooler, etc...will have to be upgraded once you upgrade the ECU.
I would start from the ground up...suspension, brakes, tires basically get the car prepped for it's new found power.

My 2 cents.

tmcafee
15th March 2004, 11:54 PM
I haven't added anything yet except the spoiler. I just listed some stuff that all of these web sites are telling me to add. Where do I start? Everything is stock right now.

Simon
16th March 2004, 05:22 AM
The Aero already had larger brakes and a sports suspension set up. Depending on the mileage the suspension might be getting a little tired. If so I recommend Koni's!

tmcafee
16th March 2004, 10:12 AM
Any suggestions for the engine? I've read that saab has some trouble breathing.

Simon
16th March 2004, 07:52 PM
An ECU upgrade is the most effective and easiest way to increase the power.

tmcafee
17th March 2004, 11:41 AM
I agree but I am not ready to blow $950 on one. What other things can I do to the engine for now? Intake, airfilters, dump valves...? Any suggestions. I haven't done anything yet. Thanks for the replies. :cheesy:

Chris 9-5
19th March 2004, 01:51 PM
The forge type dump valve are more reliable than the plastic bosch ones and the sports air filters are helpfull too. Try www.partsforsaabs.com Neither will make a massive transformation but will get you ready for more power, and help her breathe. The Aero has a larger intake pipe already. You could increase your stopping power with fast road pads, spend less time on the brakes and increase your speed that way :cheesy:

Mattlach
23rd March 2004, 06:19 PM
I haven't added anything yet except the spoiler. I just listed some stuff that all of these web sites are telling me to add. Where do I start? Everything is stock right now.

You do realize that a rear spoiler is more or less pointless on a FWD car? The reason they put them there on some cars is to give you more downforce on the rear wheels (if these are the driving wheels)

DriverEd
23rd March 2004, 07:33 PM
You do realize that a rear spoiler is more or less pointless on a FWD car?
Well, that's not entirely true. If it were then SCCA pro racing teams wouldn't bother putting those huge ugly spoilers on their FWD Mazdas, Hondas, etc.
http://www.mazdadesign.net/Motorsports/Foo%20images/foo04.jpg
For street use, they can add a little downforce to keep the rear a little more stable going into a corner. This would be especially true for stiffer (modded) suspensions.
But really, how many of us would be pushing our cars to those kind of limits on public roads? Hopefully none! So you're right - they're kinda pointless. [Am I talking in circles? :-? ]

Stoffe
26th March 2004, 06:30 PM
Since the 9-5 uses Trionic 7 it won't gain any horsepower at all by changing airfilter, dumpvalves (a dumpvalve never give an increase. It mearly helps to keep up the turbo preassure when shifting gears) racecatalyst, intercooler and so on. The Trionic 7 ECU is working towards toque/power instead of turbo preasure, which means that if the ECU is programmed to produce 230 bhp the ECU would regulate the turbo pressure depending on the surrounding H/W and climate to reach that power. Not like the old Trionic 5 which uses a predefined turbo pressure to gain whatever power it can depending on the surrounding H/W and climate.
In short terms:
You put a sport airfilter and a racecatalyst on a T7 car without upgrading ECU. Powerincrease = 0 bhp
You put a sport airfilter and a racecatalyst on a T5 car without upgrading ECU. Powerincrease = about 10-15 bhp

So, the only thing i can suggest is for you to get an ECU-upgrade. At least if you are aiming for more power.

Mattlach
1st April 2004, 12:52 PM
I agree but I am not ready to blow $950 on one. What other things can I do to the engine for now? Intake, airfilters, dump valves...? Any suggestions. I haven't done anything yet. Thanks for the replies. :cheesy:

The BSR ECU upgrades in an easy DIY software upgrade kit are available from Engstrom now fro $799 with free shipping.

http://www.engstrom.net/

I just ordered mine...

Paul
1st April 2004, 02:12 PM
The BSR ECU upgrades in an easy DIY software upgrade kit are available from Engstrom now fro $799 with free shipping.

http://www.engstrom.net/

I just ordered mine...

Or http://www.partsforsaabs.com shipped at the same price to the US :D

Mattlach
1st April 2004, 04:23 PM
Or http://www.partsforsaabs.com shipped at the same price to the US :D

Hmm...

Sub-Total: 425.52
Euro/Int Delivery: 5-9 working days (Ship to United States : 2.2 Kg): 24.82
Total amount due: 450.34

450.34 * 1.85550 = 835.61

So thats $835.61

Really only $36 more than Engstrom, but then if something goes wrong or you need to return it or whatnot, you have to ship overseas again...

Thats why I picked Engstrom :)