puzzling performance? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: puzzling performance?

bearwolf
13th March 2004, 05:08 PM
hi everyone
had saab9-5 2ltr turbo automatic,since oct03 done6,000 miles
no problem.now on motorway it falters ,misses or jumps ,when climbing even a slight incline,not so noticeable around city but still does it ,just did 70 miles and it faltered maybe 20 times real worrying! last week had air mass meter replaced but still the same. any ideas welcome thank you

JCarpio
14th March 2004, 08:21 AM
Welcome to SaabCentral...BearWolf...

Are you using a high quality gas...? if not a good starting point would be here.

It does sound like you may have a failing DI cassette, but I would first change the spark plugs and then retest...also, look for any vacuum leaks around the throttle body area.

Good luck.

bearwolf
14th March 2004, 03:16 PM
Welcome to SaabCentral...BearWolf...

Are you using a high quality gas...? if not a good starting point would be here.

It does sound like you may have a failing DI cassette, but I would first change the spark plugs and then retest...also, look for any vacuum leaks around the throttle body area.

Good luck.
thanks JCarpio
after reading other peoples similar problems i did try the best quality gas ,but its still happening and getting worse.
my rev counter seems all over the place from 2000 doing 50mph shoots up to 5000 before any acceleration then back down to normal. is it timing?ignition ?really weird! i'm lost.

Chris 9-5
19th March 2004, 12:53 PM
What about the crankshaft position sensor :roll:

Changing mine smoothed the engine and ended the cutting out :)

Mattlach
23rd March 2004, 05:16 PM
thanks JCarpio
after reading other peoples similar problems i did try the best quality gas ,but its still happening and getting worse.
my rev counter seems all over the place from 2000 doing 50mph shoots up to 5000 before any acceleration then back down to normal. is it timing?ignition ?really weird! i'm lost.

I'm no technician or anything, but to me that sounds like a transmission problem.

I know that some automatic transmissions are vacuum modulated, but I am not sure if this is the case on the 2L 9-5 turbo.

If it is, then vacuum leaks could be your issue.

I'm just speculating though, casue I really dont know all that much about it.

bearwolf
14th April 2004, 01:57 PM
finally found the problem, an hairline crack in the sparkplug
a brand new one aswell , no wonder it was behaving strange.
one to watch out for! thanks to all replies. bearwolf

Chris 9-5
3rd May 2004, 08:47 AM
Well done bearwolf :P

There's us looking for the complicated answers, well done :cheesy: