SaabCentral Forums banner

Calling all 2010-2011 9-5 Owners!

78K views 140 replies 66 participants last post by  Supertroll 
#1 ·
Since I am about to purchase one, I want to know the general ownership experience you've had. Reliable? What issues if any? Ability to get service/parts? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
I bought my 2011 9-5 last September. The Onstar has never worked and it took me forever to find a lousy taillight bulb (it burned out after a couple of months).

That being said, I love it. Its so great to have a car that I never see anywhere else. I get tons of compliments from people wondering what it is. Needless to say I would highly recommend it. :)

I would say owning this car is similar to owning a modified/performance car. There is no warranty. If that is a deal breaker for you, then don't buy it. I'm willing to live with it since I don't drive the car much (2012 Murano SV AWD for company car/daily driver) and think the car will be reliable. That's the decision you'll have to weigh.

#3 ·
I'd say it is reliable up to a point but I don't think anyone has 80000 miles on one yet. It's a great car albeit a little dated in some areas but unless you are really really in love with it go buy something from a manufacturer that is still in business. Spare parts, even things like windshields are going to be spooky in terms of availability as is the tech support. I got the car as a daily driver, If I had it to do over again I'd have not gotten mine, or at least I'd have short term leased it instead. But it is a great car nonetheless.

#4 ·
30000 miles and happy as I can be

I have a 2010 Saab 9-5 aero in silver with black vented seats, HUD, HK, and the 19 turbo wheels. About 3 months in a rear strut "broke". It was ordered and replaced under wty. Saab went out of business a year later. My NAV unit stopped working(took forever to locate satellite and clock was set to GMT, so 5 hours ahead of eastern time). I took it in, paid 100 for the software upgrade and that fixed the sat problem, but not the clock.

The car is flat out unbelievable. This is my 7th Saab(3 900's, 9-3, 9-5mk1, 9-7x), and is flat out the best ever. It is also better than my BMW 7 series I owned late 90s. It is solid, switchgear is high quality, fast as heck(dont believe people saying it isnt. (I have raced everything on the road once moving, and it runs with anything). The handling is world class. And most of all, it is GORGEOUS.

I love the car. Ill probably keep it past 120k.

#129 ·
I have a 2010 Saab 9-5 aero in silver with black vented seats, HUD, HK, and the 19 turbo wheels. About 3 months in a rear strut "broke". It was ordered and replaced under wty. Saab went out of business a year later. My NAV unit stopped working(took forever to locate satellite and clock was set to GMT, so 5 hours ahead of eastern time). I took it in, paid 100 for the software upgrade and that fixed the sat problem, but not the clock.

The car is flat out unbelievable. This is my 7th Saab(3 900's, 9-3, 9-5mk1, 9-7x), and is flat out the best ever. It is also better than my BMW 7 series I owned late 90s. It is solid, switchgear is high quality, fast as heck(dont believe people saying it isnt. (I have raced everything on the road once moving, and it runs with anything). The handling is world class. And most of all, it is GORGEOUS.

I love the car. Ill probably keep it past 120k.
I picked up a 2010 Aero in Black with Black interior three months ago. Higher miles than I would have liked (102k), but got a killer deal ($7800), was a one-owner pampered car, and I absolutely LOVE it! Had some of the same known problems as the other 9-5NG owners - one of them (the fast-blinking tail light bulb) I was able to fix by opening the steel tabs on the bulb socket a bit more so they are tighter when they get inserted, and the issue went away. If it comes back, I saw the bulb sockets online for $22.

The other issue mine has is the bad driver's heated seat. I found it from esaabparts.com for $125, now I just have to pep talk myself into doing it. It doesn't seem like rocket science, but I'd be more comfortable if someone had a video tutorial.

Those things aside, I have not seen another 9-5NG in three months! I get stares from Bimmer drivers, MB drivers, etc. The road is full of the others, mine is pretty rare (one of 175 to be exact - https://www.esaabparts.com/saab/production/data/9-5_2010_2011.php).

#5 ·
I had the pleasure of driving one for a weekend (long story).

I have driven a jaguar XFR, an M5, an E63 Amg, a Porsch 911 Turbo, and I honestly have to say, sitting in the SAAB was an emotional experience. It's the benchmark car of SAAB's long history... It is truly an amazing car and I I'd take it over the cars I just listed. Sure, it'll haul (not like an M5 or an E63) but everything about it just puts a smile on your face. Especially when you roll by a group of people and they're heads turn in confusion as to what just drove by ;)

If you can, go for the SAAB. It's a unique opportunity as these cars are literally the purple back gorillas of the consumer automotive world. Sounds cheesy, but I love this car.

#6 ·
I have 42,000 miles on my 2010 9-5 Aero, it will be two years old next month. My 5th and best Saab by far. It has been very reliable. Certainly the biggest Saab ever built but with the XWD and suspension it drives much smaller. I love the Heads up display and the 3 different drive settings. All in all the first Saab that I think can compete with the Germans in power and handling. Lastly I really love the look of the car and get many compliments on it. I don't regret buying it and still look forward to driving it every day. It's a shame that this car, maybe their best effort in years, will be their swan song.

YMMV

JTMav

#7 ·
I have a 2011 Turbo4 Manual. It has 23K miles on it now a little over a year later.

The heated seat stopped working in may; my local Saab dealer said they didn't know how to fix it, and that they would ask Saab USA - but don't expect a response. Recently, the turn signals have started flashing fast - none have burned out, but it's annoying. Seat trim on the back of the front-passenger seat fell off and cannot be re-installed properly without superglue.

The car drives amazing, though the manual unit isn't the best I've driven. It is incredibly unique and fun to drive. It's been a great long-distance cruiser too - very comfortable seats.

I love this car very much, but if I knew then what I know now, I might not have sprung for it.

#9 ·
A couple of observations. Are both of your seat heaters not working? If they both stopped working it may be the battery voltage is too low and the car, when the voltage is too low will start to shut down non essential electrical options with the seats being first. The directional is a socket problem and can be fixed. Not sure on your seat trim except it sounds like it could be reattached.
Good Luck
JTMav

#14 ·
What's the other choice? I almost bought a Mercedes c300 that was 3 yrs older that had 65,000 miles and it was $1,000usd more. The benz did not have panaramic roof (had no sunroof), no remote start/passive entry, no push button start, no power fold mirrors, no iPod interface!!!, no 18" wheels, no LED lighting, no turbo, smaller, and lastly NO WARRANTY!. My Saab 9-5 has 12,000 miles vs 65,000 but is far more loaded, and is almost new. It was not a difficult decision considering what I was gettng when comparing the two (even though I used to be a big fan of Mercedes by owning 3 at once). You are taking a gamble with the 65k car with no warranty and not know how it was driven or cared for.

#10 ·
Hey JTMav!

It's just the driver seat. I will turn it on, the button will stay lit for exactly 60 seconds, and turn off. No heat is produced. Passenger seat works great o-O

Socket problem, you say? I've been trying like heck to figure out what it could be, but can you refer me to more information? Thanks!!

The seat trim I've just lived with. Out of sight, out of mind... :)

#13 ·
Hey JTMav!
It's just the driver seat. I will turn it on, the button will stay lit for exactly 60 seconds, and turn off. No heat is produced. Passenger seat works great o-O
We had to pay for the heated seat pad to be replaced on the drivers seat (exactly the same problem). It used to like blowing sidelights, but that seems to have gone away. Cruise control won't hold it's speed going uphill and I think the engine (2.0 diesel) is badly matched to the gearbox. Ratios are badly spaced and we often have to leave it in 2nd or 3rd round town as it won't cope with anything higher. SatNav software out of date (by about 3-4 years).
I told the wife to go for the Mazda 6 estate, but she wouldn't listen !! :nono;

#12 ·
Love the write ups, sadly I don't think we will ever see any of these here in NZ.

So what do I replace my 97 9000CD with. Not sure. So for now I will keep driving what is really a great car.

Smooth, quiet, and a stage 1 tune means it goes very nicely.

#17 ·
My '11 9-5 Aero has been completely and totally problem free. One year old, and about 22k miles. The Saab USA parts organization is up and running and the parts/service situation improves daily. So far, the only parts-related issue I am aware of is the HUD/Lane Departure-equipped windshield. It is being worked on. There is a update to the NAV system the solves virtually all of the issues ... mine was applied in September and it's been flawless ever since. I suppose there is some level of "risk" involved ... but as I see it I have a unique car, that's an absolute joy to drive, that is well engineered and safe, and carries our family with tons of room, comfort and convenience. In other words, a winner.

Consider the fact you are getting a $65k car for the price of a Camry ...

Ken

#35 ·
2010 new 9-5 Tid Vector Sat Nav issues

Hi Missileman, I've had problems since purchase with the Nav on my '10 9-5 Vector, but not been able to find any recent updates to it here in the UK. The symptoms are not remembering recent locations, losing address book entries, losing destination, defaulting country to Belgium(!) and also the clock forgets any change to the time setting. This is anytime after the car's been left for more than a few minutes, parked up and switched off. Were any of these the things you had problems with and is your update still working/no problems since? Does anyone have any idea how I could get the software release or a fix over here in England?

Otherwise it's a great car and highly recommended for the drive, comfort, equipment and performance.

Thanks ...

#18 ·
I've never seen a $65K 9-5, at least not stickered in the USA. I think upper $50's was the ceiling and that would have had rear seat entertainment option and an Aero with all the other options.

I unfortunately didn't pay a camry price for mine, I paid a retail kind of price, though it was pre bankruptcy when I made the decision to get mine and they still have warranties and free maintenance. My car has 20000 miles on it, it's been a decent car but it was sidelined for 4 weeks at the dealer trying to fix the Nav / Radio system and the reflash went way awry taking out the air bag module and nobody either in the US or Sweden could figure out how to fix it. When I had a warranty the back window was going to be replaced due to faulty radio reception and defroster, however the part was not available at the time. Now I'd have to pay for that fix, probably several hundred dollars, assuming I can even get the part. The facebook page for the 9-5 has glowing reviews and love stories from other NG 9-5 owners but also some accounts of nagging problems and electrical issues, most seem to resolve by "rebooting" the car but not all. Nobody knows if we will ever see a map update for those of use with Nav equipped cars (and what it might cost).

It's a neat car, it's a unique car and in Aero form a beautiful car inside and out, but even a 2011 is a little outdated compared to cars in the same class (for example no adaptive cruise, no blind spot alert, no HD radio...). The was so much potential lost when Saab went belly up but that's just the way it is. The NG 9-5 "community" though small is there but that isn't enough by itself to make it a wise purchase decision. IMO if someone wants a daily driver that they need to rely on, able to get serviced and are going to keep for more than a couple years look at something different from a car maker that is still in business or maybe look at a 9-3. If someone is collector or it is their second/weekend car then the 9-5 could be interesting.

#19 ·
I did not mean to imply that a 9-5 was $65k new, but that similar size & option packages of competition cars such the BMW and Benz (5 series or E class) are at this range or more. A freind recently purchased a similar equipped 3 series for $60k and it is very small car. I have looked at the Buick Lacross with same options and mileage and they cost approx $10k more(add another $5k for similar used Cadillac model)

As for the parts, I thought the Swedish gov bought Saab AB Parts in December2012 and are producing new replacement parts which are being stocked in Michigan warehouse that supposedly sends out 3,000 orders a day. In North America was able to purchase OEM 2011 9-5 carpet floor mats from a Saab dealer(this part used to be unavailable for purchase a couple of months ago) Are they going to stop making parts again?

#21 ·
Tough

I had a 2004 9-3, had major issues but i loved it and warranty protected me. Then a 2008 Turbo X and other than the issues with the coolant tank melting, it had no problems whatsoever until i totaled it 4 months ago. It was a stick :-(

So now i am buying a 2011 Aero 9-5 and you guys are one wide spectrum. I had sworn i wouldn't pay more than 25k for such car but i'm leaping at 35k. Only downside, no Tech Package. Thoughts?

#34 ·
Saab 95

I had a 2004 9-3, had major issues but i loved it and warranty protected me. Then a 2008 Turbo X and other than the issues with the coolant tank melting, it had no problems whatsoever until i totaled it 4 months ago. It was a stick :-(

So now i am buying a 2011 Aero 9-5 and you guys are one wide spectrum. I had sworn i wouldn't pay more than 25k for such car but i'm leaping at 35k. Only downside, no Tech Package. Thoughts?
I have a 2010 9-5 Aero pretty loaded up with everything but the rear seat entertainment. Love love love this car, Problems since purchase tail light bulb socket has bulb installed at angle, socket replaced. Seat heat driver's seat common problem repaired at Saab no warranty. Last problem can't adjust clock for daylight savings time in europe and radio always defaults to the nav screen. I drive it over 150 MPH on the German autobahn. smooth powerful comfortable roomy love it. Paint job could be better have some stone chips

#22 ·
I really wanted an NG9-5 and REALLY wanted HID, HUD, LDW, E85 etc. That and MPG is why I went with a Premium over the AERO although the seats are probably even more spectacular than mine ;0

We have enough fun in my Wife's '08 SC Aero so getting the 2.8T was not a selling point, oh and as you know changing plugs and packs on those things are treacherous.

Who are you looking at buying from? Schemlz or CBB? Additionally, there are still a few more elsewhere.

#25 ·
Man I've only had the car since Saturday so I couldn't tell you about reliability and I never thought that I would be buying a brand new car nearly two years after it was built, but here we are and I love the thing. I didn't buy a warranty, its a risk but one that I was willing to take for such a special car. SPNA should be selling warrantees soon as well so I'm looking forward to that.

#26 ·
2011 Saab 95 Aero

I've been driving this car since August 2012. I driven nothing but Saabs since 1982. This is the best one of the bunch, but I've felt that way about everyone of them as I've moved from the '79 900, to an '86 900S, to a '92 9000, to a 2002 9-5. I think Saab outdid themselves with this car. Too bad they did survive long after it hit the market. I'm glad I bought even though it has no warranty; it is most likely the last Saab I will ever drive. I looked into a 3rd party warranty, which the dealer directed me too, but was scared off by too many negative comments posted by users. I decided it was better to go it alone. I am fortunate to have an independent Saab mechanic in my area. They have been terrific in the past and they know Saabs. This is a big plus and worth checking out if you are new to Saab. I wouldn't rely on the former Saab dealer to keep up with service issues. The only problems (minor) it the passage-side front door lock doesn't work. The work-around is to manually lock the door before I leave the car. It opens from the outside with the remote. I've also had a bad rear tail-light unit. The bulb kept popping out the socket. I found the receptable was cracked and wouldn't hold the bulb firm. I fixed it with a small zip tie. I cross my fingers most days that nothing major fails, as getting parts may be difficult. Still, I don't and won't regret my decision.

#43 ·
I've been driving this car since August 2012. I driven nothing but Saabs since 1982. This is the best one of the bunch, but I've felt that way about everyone of them as I've moved from the '79 900, to an '86 900S, to a '92 9000, to a 2002 9-5. I think Saab outdid themselves with this car. Too bad they did survive long after it hit the market. I'm glad I bought even though it has no warranty; it is most likely the last Saab I will ever drive. I looked into a 3rd party warranty, which the dealer directed me too, but was scared off by too many negative comments posted by users. I decided it was better to go it alone. I am fortunate to have an independent Saab mechanic in my area. They have been terrific in the past and they know Saabs. This is a big plus and worth checking out if you are new to Saab. I wouldn't rely on the former Saab dealer to keep up with service issues. The only problems (minor) it the passage-side front door lock doesn't work. The work-around is to manually lock the door before I leave the car. It opens from the outside with the remote. I've also had a bad rear tail-light unit. The bulb kept popping out the socket. I found the receptable was cracked and wouldn't hold the bulb firm. I fixed it with a small zip tie. I cross my fingers most days that nothing major fails, as getting parts may be difficult. Still, I don't and won't regret my decision.
The only thing I will say regarding the "independent Saab mechanic" is that I also thought I could do that in Ann Arbor with the mechanics on South Industrial Road. However, they told me the "GM built Saabs" required a computer and drawings that they cannot obtain. He basically said, "I wouldn't even bring it here--because I cannot hook up to the computer on your car and determine anything"...so for now I'm stuck going to authorized Saab repair (former Saab dealerships) in Southfield (Glassman) or Ann Arbor (Suburban). Really hoped to have the local "independent mechanic" as well.

#27 ·
Bought one

I just bought one myself. Guess that tells you my vote. Where/when else you gonna get a car originally priced at 40-50K for the same price as a loaded Corolla or Cobalt? Couldn't resist. I think manny may have bought the black Aero I wanted at Schmelz. No hard feelings, hope you got a good deal. After having a few Aeros go, I went ahead and bought a 4 in Atlanta. Had it almost a week. Still figuring out all of the gizmos. Maybe not as hot off the line as the 2.8L V6 turbo, but does not feel underpowered and certainly will hold both more people and more cargo. It's my grownup car. Kept the vert as my fun car. Bought the warranty for $1995, but thinking it might not have been such a good idea. It does cover everything (including electronics) that isn't normal maintenance (like tires, brakes, and oil) for 5 years and 60K miles, but has a $250 deductible. Dunno. Guess we'll see...

#28 ·
I've had my 2010 9-5 Aero for a couple of years and

it's in for the 50k service today. Like most here longtime Saab owner, this is my fifth. Best of the bunch, only two problems in 50k. NAV needs a firmware upgrade and the right rear directional bulb keeps blowing(bad socket). The car has been and continues to be a blast to drive. I wouldn't spend $2k for a warranty with a deductible, I think most will find the car reliable. Hope the next 50k will be as uneventful. Good luck to the new owners.
JTMav

#29 ·
Ok, I know some of you who bought them when Saab was still around have some second thoughts about buying $40-$50K cars.

What about 2011 turbo 4 models for sale that are loaded (nav, tech, etc) in the mid-upper $20's?

Compare that to a 5 series at double that price. Good deal or mistake? Would be a third car and not get a ton of miles. Pick up and SUV are others, but I'm missing having a sedan. I figure the suspension could be upgraded and possibly even the turbo and it'd be something pretty satisfying for sub $30K.

I have a good independent Saab mechanic we used with our 9-3.

#36 ·
Since I am about to purchase one, I want to know the general ownership experience you've had. Reliable? What issues if any? Ability to get service/parts? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated!
I have a 2006 9-3 aero that I bought CPO in March 2008 with 31k. In Nov 2012 i bought a 2010 9-5 Aero with 19k in brand new condition fully loaded (Nav, rear ent pkg, rear climate control, lane departure, the only thing it doesnt have is the ventilated seats) at a Hyundai dealer for $24,000. I couldn't bring myself to trading in my trusty Fusion Blue 9-3 so I kept it to use as my daily driver since I'm a little worried about parts availability for the 9-5 if I get into an accident. It wasn't the smartest financial decision for me but I couldn't pass up the chance to buy what may be my last Saab as who knows where NEVS will go. I am not worried about reliability issues with the 9-5 since I've only had minor issues with my 9-3 (ignition failed after a few drips of coffee spilled and the common coolant tank/bottle melting that we all know about with the 2.8T). My brother in law bought a 2011 9-5 Turbo4 with 40k mi for $16,000 a month ago and I've driven it a few times and to me the 4 feels a little quicker off the line but the power drops after a while the 6 is better for passing on the highway. Fortunately we have an independent Saab garage here in Chicago that's not far from my home so I've been taking my 9-3 to them since the bankruptcy and I took my 9-5 a few weeks ago for an oil change and they said it was very clean and in great shape. If you have the means to buy one I say go for it but just keep in mind some little things may take a minute to find.
;ol; ;ol; ;ol; ;ol;

#37 ·
My 2010 9-5 Aero just turned 54k. I have had very good luck so far. The most annoying issue is with the NAV. As has been posted several times, most of us have the same problem with it, constant wrong time, Washington DC as default state, and at least in mine, a delay for the unit to make satellite contact. I had a flaky right rear directional bulb socket fixed by my dealership. Other than that pretty much bulletproof. As time goes on however I am getting increasingly nervous about something major breaking down and costing me a bundle. I plan to keep her for a while since the trade-in value isn't worth much.
Good luck with your decision.
JTMav

#38 ·
Auto head lights

Hi 1st time user so here goes
I purchased my12 from a SAAB dealer brand new SAAB 9-5 Turo4 with 3 year servicing & 3 year warranty.
The question is the head light are on all the time not just the day time running light but the main head light, it has a auto setting on the switch when set to this the light are on even when it is very bright sun light the only time they are off is when switch is turned to off but resets in auto position, the lights come on again the next time the engine is started.I had this on a different car(Vauxhall Astra) and the light came on in poor light and off in good light this is what I call auto setting.Is this like this on all mk2 9-5 aero Turbo 4. The dealer they say this is they way they are meant to be ? seems to me they could have saved some money when building them by doing away with the switch ?

#39 ·
Hi 1st time user so here goes
I purchased my12 from a SAAB dealer brand new SAAB 9-5 Turo4 with 3 year servicing & 3 year warranty.
The question is the head light are on all the time not just the day time running light but the main head light, it has a auto setting on the switch when set to this the light are on even when it is very bright sun light the only time they are off is when switch is turned to off but resets in auto position, the lights come on again the next time the engine is started.I had this on a different car(Vauxhall Astra) and the light came on in poor light and off in good light this is what I call auto setting.Is this like this on all mk2 9-5 aero Turbo 4. The dealer they say this is they way they are meant to be ? seems to me they could have saved some money when building them by doing away with the switch ?
Quite normal. They all do that ;ol;

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.