Needing help with some mods [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Needing help with some mods

eromzek
11-03-04, 02:30 AM
Hey whats up everyone, i just got my 9-3 Arc a couple months ago, and before summer I really want to do some fun mods to make the turbo really wind loud, dump real nice, and maybe even add some boost. I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand on some stuff I can do. I was reading on my engine schematic that i guess there is a turbo silencer I can rip off or something? Also im ordering a JR air filter, i know that much so far. I just really wanna make that turbo sound alive and whine..like i said maybe even add some boost along the way. Anyways, any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks alot

--Erik

SS
11-03-04, 02:55 AM
I dont know about any mods that can enhance the turbo whistling sound, but ever since i got my J&R air filter, i felt like i could hear it even more!

Saba
11-03-04, 06:34 AM
SS

Any noticeable difference with the BSR PPC (on turbo sound that is)?

eromzek
11-03-04, 11:12 AM
what do you mean?

Saba
11-03-04, 11:37 AM
what do you mean?you mean by the BSR PPC??

Check this out...

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/default.php?cPath=28_270_353

oslowley
11-03-04, 02:18 PM
The sound from the turbo is much more pronouced, not only when you shift but you can also hear the turbine spooling up when accellerating. All who are tentative about the upgrade rest assured that it's the best 900 bucks you'll spend on your car. When in doubt just say tax return.

eromzek
14-03-04, 11:36 AM
cool, thanks a bunch. I'm just not sure if i've got the cash to splurge 900 bucks. Do you think there is anything else I can do cheaper? Like fooling around with the wastegate or something?

joshd2012
14-03-04, 12:30 PM
cool, thanks a bunch. I'm just not sure if i've got the cash to splurge 900 bucks. Do you think there is anything else I can do cheaper? Like fooling around with the wastegate or something?

Genuine Saab is working on something to do just that:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23411&highlight=wastegate

adamsonem
14-04-05, 11:16 AM
I'm new to Saab, but removing the silencer, adding a cold-air intake (or at least a higher-flow filter), replacing some of the intake piping with larger pieces, boring out the throttle body inlet should all increase performance slightly and make the turbo whine a little louder.

If you want CHEAP horsepower, make a manual boost controller. If it costs you more than $40-something, then you've spent too much on it, but it's an easy way to add a good amount of hp (for what you get up to 15psi I suppose).

ctrlz
14-04-05, 11:40 AM
If you want CHEAP horsepower, make a manual boost controller. If it costs you more than $40-something, then you've spent too much on it, but it's an easy way to add a good amount of hp (for what you get up to 15psi I suppose).
MBC's will not work with T8 cars.

If your car is a 99 9-3, an MBC can be fitted.
This forum, however, is for 2003 and newer 9-3's.

adamsonem
14-04-05, 12:02 PM
My bad ;oops: :) I figured it would be similar.

CallipNCSUsaab
14-04-05, 12:16 PM
The SS does not have the silencer for the turbo either does it??