ride height? pretty urgent [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: ride height? pretty urgent

900 spg
10-03-04, 05:01 AM
Hello,

I was wondering what the perfect/recommended height for a 900 hatchback would be? I have a spg with a sagging back and I am going to get springs and shocks. having heard that shocks might actually get the car back onto it's back feet (get the back side height to it's previous level) again I am starting to wonder what the right/best/recommended height would be and measured from where? and also whether I really need new springs or should I just get shocks.

I want a daily driver useable on normal roads as well as highways and do not want to have to get another set of springs/shocks again after I find out that the ones I got are just not adequate (for example too low).

suggestions/ideas/no-no's/etc. more than welcome.

thanks in advance

best regards

dusan

Oil_Eater
11-03-04, 12:10 AM
Typically, in order to raise or restore ride height, you will need springs.

There are a few who will tell you that changing shocks will raise the vehicle, but in actuality, the shock absorber is a means of restricting movement.

Your springs hold the car up, while the shocks augment gravity to slow the rebound every time you hit a bump.

If someone tells you to change the shocks to restore ride height, you will not be happy with the results.

Jay

DeLorean
11-03-04, 12:18 AM
new shocks will restore ride height to a degree, but if your tail and is sagging bad, the only fix is a facelift. this goes for the rears of cars too. new springs will take care of it...

GearHead
11-03-04, 10:51 AM
2" higher than the front :lol:

Alex
11-03-04, 12:08 PM
We need Pete to measure the height of his 36K 2dr. Probably the height of the forward pivot for the trailing arms would be sensible, or the top of the wheel arch.

Most other T16S's that I know of aren't running standard suspension.

900 spg
11-03-04, 02:23 PM
Hi,
Yes any figures would help. Standard spg or aero with sport chassis measurements. I wanna check the height of my car and then determine whether or not I need new springs or just shocks and how much off standard my car is at the moment.

Thanks to everyone.
best regards

dusan

rally900
13-03-04, 10:49 PM
Hi,
Yes any figures would help. Standard spg or aero with sport chassis measurements. I wanna check the height of my car and then determine whether or not I need new springs or just shocks and how much off standard my car is at the moment.

Thanks to everyone.
best regards

dusan

unfortunately the factory seems to only give specs for front ride height.

as measured from the top of the rim to the seam of the hood/fender:
standard chassis: 243mm
sport chassis:
.....w/ 15" rims: 230mm
.....w/ 16" rims: 217mm

james
saabworks

ejenner
14-03-04, 07:36 AM
The manual says 120 ~ 135 mm ride height. Does not say where they measured from - lowest point - I guess.