PPC Upgrade question: Is there a time stamp [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: PPC Upgrade question: Is there a time stamp

pjku79
9th March 2004, 01:58 PM
OK guys i dont think this has been asked before, sorry if it has. i have been debating the PPC upgrade for some time now. i also work at gm so i have some connections in the electrical world. however since saab designed this themselves i dont have any connections there.

i know that on some vehicles, such as the chevy colorado/gmc canyon (product i work on), every time the computer is flashed (reprogrammed) it puts a time stamp in its memory. if this is the case even if you reprogram it back to the origional settings before you take it to the dealer they will still know. so, if something happens to the engine or anything that has to do with the computer the dealer will be able to void the warrenty. can anyone varify if this is the case for saabs? preferably someone that works at a dealer. if you dont know for sure please dont bother saying i dont THINK. i know that most dealers will not be smart enough to look for this but i want to be sure. because, you know they will be looking for anyway to get out of paying the money if the motor blows.

thanks guys.

Saba
9th March 2004, 07:06 PM
Where would the time stamp come from? The clock in the car? or the PPC unit? or has it an inbuilt clock?

oslowley
9th March 2004, 08:42 PM
the computer in the car. BMW's do it when you do a firmware update but won't for a performance chip, not sure if the PPC elicits this from the ss.

SS
10th March 2004, 01:03 AM
Very interesting point you made there. I would email BSR and ask them but they dont really reply to any emails!

Viscouse
10th March 2004, 09:21 PM
Where would the time stamp come from? The clock in the car? or the PPC unit? or has it an inbuilt clock?

Interesting. Clocks/calendars need power. Just like a PC, it'll still keep ticking cause of the CMOS battery, it's pretty much independant. There'd have to be some sort of system like this cause of battery disconnects (unless it's hooked up to the atomic clock, haha).

So where's the CMOS battery in our car?

pjku79
11th March 2004, 09:07 AM

Interesting. Clocks/calendars need power. Just like a PC, it'll still keep ticking cause of the CMOS battery, it's pretty much independant. There'd have to be some sort of system like this cause of battery disconnects (unless it's hooked up to the atomic clock, haha).

So where's the CMOS battery in our car?

Not sure about all of that cause im not a computer guy, but i think its similar to a computer harddrive. How even after you format you can still get some data from it. By the way, i talked to my EE friend and he said he isnt sure exactly how its done.