SaabCentral Forums banner

Anyone try different fuels?

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Imspace2 
#1 ·
From what I understand, the "Biopower" 9-5 (such as the one I have) allow you to use any grade gasoline and even E85. I have thus far just been using Premium, but am curious to try E85 (it's a good measure cheaper).

Has anyone tried different grades of gas or E85 on their similar 9-5? If so, what were the results? Would you recommend it? Any words of caution or things to watch out for?

#2 ·
You can run less than 91 octane, but you might see less power under very warm/heavy load conditions. The lower octane number will force the car to reduce ignition timing advance to avoid detonation, but shouldn't cause any problems. I tried 89 for a couple of tanks to see and didn't notice any changes. I run 91+ for peace of mind anyway. :)

I just found a place off the Mass Pike (I-90) that has E85 and can't wait to try it! My Saab is not a daily driver, so I have to come up with some excuse to drive 40 minutes one way just to try different gas... :lol:

#4 ·
Typical gains of 2-3 MPG with premium are normal. Typical 9-5 4cyl gains with the Hirsch are about the same. Although on my 9-3 with the tune Hirsch I see as much as 37 highway mpg.

E85 will return about 20% less mpg due to the low specific output of ethanol. But the octane is much higher which will allow you to run even more boost.

Well as much boost as we let you..........

#6 ·
He needs to have a registered iPro from Hirsch. Anyone can own the tool, only a registered user with Hirsch can perform the upgrade. As far as I am aware the Hirsch license agreement is only with Saab AB which includes Saab Parts NA and not individuals or independent shops.

#9 ·
That is a pretty steep drop, the only other E85 car I've driven is an '05 Chevy Impala and yeah when full of the stuff it was averaging 22 instead of 27MPGs.

Remember though the "idea" of ethanol is that regardless of how much it costs it is better for the environment. I actually think it's kinda wierd having a car smell like popcorn but so be it.

I plan on topping off with E85 before I drive the 9-5 for the first time all the way back to San Diego from Phoenix. I'd like to get a baseline for myself as there are two E85 stations near my home in SD. Sure with less than 600miles on the clock its not even broken in yet, but I think I'll give it a try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.