2002 9-5 problems here/there [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 2002 9-5 problems here/there

Schermer
22nd June 2012, 12:00 PM
So I'm trying to fix a few problems that I luckily have with the Saab before I head back up to campus:

First off is the Secondary air injection system. Is there a simulator system for this? I've seen it on other cars (BMW) but not on the Saab. Some way to fix the system efficiently without replacing all the valves and pumps. Preferably something that completely removes this terribe system...

second is the heated seats: They suck. it takes about 10-15 min to get luke warm so it basically has no use. Anyone know what I could do about that?

3rd: there's no A/C. The condenser is fine/nothing needs to be recharged so I'm basically out of ideas

4th: Sweet jesus which simpleton designed the headlights? My right one endlessly flickers, I can't afford to replace them, and replacing them before didnt fix that problem anyways.

I'm sure I'll think of more but that's all I got for now.

Schermer
24th June 2012, 08:44 PM
herro?

TankTak
24th June 2012, 09:37 PM
For the heated seats you can replace the thermo pads which probably is shot since U said it takes ages to heat up. Mine turn on right away so something is definately amiss with yours.

as for the AC, hit the off and auto button at the same time and report back whatever codes you find. Willing to bet your blend door is jammed or the broken and needs to be fixed

for the headlight flickering issues, check your fuse box under the hood and tap the orange relay. you can even take it apart and check the soldering job as it tends to go bad and either replace it or resolder it. should fix the flickering issue

Schermer
24th June 2012, 10:40 PM
Hey thanks for the help man, but I'm still not seeing any problem with the Headlight Fuse. You mean the larger orange one with a 40 on it? What am I supposed to do to check it. I can remove it tomorrow and see if there's anything noticeable wrong, but not too sure what i should be looking for in general.

oh and the A/C only read the number zero. Is that supposed to mean anything?

do you know of a good source for thermo pads? Or do you know generally how much those are and how difficult to replace?

TankTak
24th June 2012, 11:14 PM
Hey thanks for the help man, but I'm still not seeing any problem with the Headlight Fuse. You mean the larger orange one with a 40 on it? What am I supposed to do to check it. I can remove it tomorrow and see if there's anything noticeable wrong, but not too sure what i should be looking for in general.

do you know of a good source for thermo pads? Or do you know generally how much those are and how difficult to replace?
you can do a search for orange headlight relay and see what others have done. Some notably took it apart and resoldered the pins to the circuit board.
if your ac is reading "0" then I would take it to a professional and have them evac the system and refill it.....cost should range from 80+

heated seats are a different story, you can go oe and spend a fortune or replace with aftermarket carbon pads, which can be sourced from ebay. all you have to do is take the seat covers off and replace. I never done it, but have seen others do it and while it takes time it can be done

Schermer
25th June 2012, 03:09 AM
What are the pads called because "thermal pads saab 95 seats" "seat heaters saab 95" "2002 saab 95 heater seat heater find me god damn pads" etc... aren't finding me anything....

oh and as far as I know everything has been refilled/recharged and it didn't do anything at all. I dont know what else could be failing.

TankTak
25th June 2012, 08:22 AM
search ebay, carbon heated seats

swedishmercedes
25th June 2012, 03:53 PM
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225481

http://www.customsaab.com/Custom_Saab_NG900_OG9-3_Performance_Articles/p2_articleid/24

swedishmercedes
25th June 2012, 04:01 PM
Since the error code is 0 on your A/C unit you are going to have to be a little more descriptive when you say "there's no A/C". Does the blower work? Is it hot on the drivers side and cold on the passenger side? Does the compressor come on when you switch it to LO and let it run full on? If your r134 is a little low your compressor may not be working.

[QUOTE=Schermer;2214195]So I'm trying to fix a few problems that I luckily have with the Saab before I head back up to campus:

3rd: there's no A/C. The condenser is fine/nothing needs to be recharged so I'm basically out of ideas

Schermer
26th June 2012, 12:18 AM
The blower is definitely working, heat works, but alas no cold air anywhere.

Schermer
27th June 2012, 10:58 PM
I found out a little more information on the A/C, and according to the stealership's look at it a while ago, it's the pump? I assume this refers to the compressor. What say the interwebs? Could my problems be sign of the compressor being kicked?

Just to repeat: blower works, I have heat, I just have no cold air.

Schermer
2nd July 2012, 11:23 PM
Surprise! more problems.

Went to get the car aligned and it resulted in pulling to the left and vibrating more than it did before. After bringing the car back and making them try again, it was discovered that my rear left camber is somehow messed up. Luckily this isn't adjustable on the Saab. Any idea on what to do now?

TankTak
3rd July 2012, 12:18 AM
Surprise! more problems.

Went to get the car aligned and it resulted in pulling to the left and vibrating more than it did before. After bringing the car back and making them try again, it was discovered that my rear left camber is somehow messed up. Luckily this isn't adjustable on the Saab. Any idea on what to do now?
its adjustable with shims, find out how off it is and order these in the proper size... http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_51&products_id=439

J-Rod
3rd July 2012, 01:03 AM
I found out a little more information on the A/C, and according to the stealership's look at it a while ago, it's the pump? I assume this refers to the compressor. What say the interwebs? Could my problems be sign of the compressor being kicked?

Just to repeat: blower works, I have heat, I just have no cold air.
Yes. Have checked to see if the system holds pressure? Meaning, does it have a leak somewhere?

J-Rod
3rd July 2012, 10:29 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEATED-REPLACEMENT-SEAT-20760988-/261053760269?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc804430d

Check the part numbers to make sure it's right.

Jssaab
3rd July 2012, 12:14 PM
Do you hva HID headlights? Teh flicker is bad bulbs

Schermer
4th July 2012, 02:59 PM
I replaced the bulbs before and it did nothing. Honestly if the headlights need to be replaced, you'll the see this car on the classified section of this forum. From what I understand its something poorly designed in the circuits (Can't trust American cars).

Those pads mean I won't be having heated seats ever again. Not worth $400 just to replaced the bottom half

As for the A/C I'm assuming it has pressure? I guess I'll need to check that.

Jssaab
4th July 2012, 10:03 PM
I replaced the bulbs before and it did nothing. Honestly if the headlights need to be replaced, you'll the see this car on the classified section of this forum. From what I understand its something poorly designed in the circuits (Can't trust American cars).

Those pads mean I won't be having heated seats ever again. Not worth $400 just to replaced the bottom half

As for the A/C I'm assuming it has pressure? I guess I'll need to check that.

mm again you have HIDs? did you use the correct OEM bulbs or chinese knock offs?

Schermer
5th July 2012, 08:24 PM
I'm assuming they are OEM bulbs as I had the work done at a certified SAAB dealership. Oh, and yes they're the HID's. They automatically adjust height

Jssaab
6th July 2012, 08:50 AM
OK then its could be the cable from the ballast it tends to get corroded. Its a network type computer cable that controls the light. Try removing it and spraying it with electric connection cleaner.

Schermer
7th July 2012, 03:37 PM
So I went to go check the compressor. All of the pulleys connected to the belt are spinning and working just fine, so from that point of view it should be good. I know when the A/C was checked long ago the dealership said that it would be the compressor, but that sounds like a relatively B/S pay us to completely overhaul your A/C system answer. I heard somewhere that there may be a problem with a fuse or some sort of similar electrical component that could be the problem? Has anyone heard of anything of the like?

AlbaTurbo
8th July 2012, 08:43 AM
I heard somewhere that there may be a problem with a fuse or some sort of similar electrical component that could be the problem? Has anyone heard of anything of the like?

Check to see if you have Fuse 14 installed inside the engine-bay fuse box (I think it's fuse 14). Someone might have pulled this fuse to silence the alarm, but it also affects the AC.

Regarding your heated seats- are you sure they get luke-warm, or is that your imagination playing tricks on you? Reason I ask is because the heated seat switches on the dash are known for failing- try swapping left to right. When I bought my car the previous owner had pulled the fuse- dealer told him he needed new heating elements at a cost of around $400. I swapped the switches and put the fuse back in- the driver's side switch was bad.

Schermer
8th July 2012, 06:26 PM
nah I have the same problem with both front seats. The back seats still work pretty fine though. I wouldnt think its too likely that both switches broke at the same time, and I am pretty damn positive that the seats get luke warm. I'll check that fuses on that too though. Are there fuses hiding anywhere else besides the obvious fuse box under the hood near the battery?

J-Rod
8th July 2012, 07:01 PM
That's where the fuse will be.

swedishmercedes
11th July 2012, 11:23 AM
What I did was find a total crash auto body repair shop that has the ability to straiten frames. They can actually bend the camber back to original factory specifications. the place in Colorado Spring that I used was 80 bucks and it now tracks perfect. if you have a hum at higher speeds that is your wheel bearing most likely the right one which always seems to go out on these cars.

swedishmercedes
11th July 2012, 11:31 AM
I don't know if this will be the same on the 9-5 because my seats work fine. However on my 92 9K i took the seat out and removed the leather seat cover to expose the foam cushion I found that there is a wire/heating element that runs through the foam and in one spot it was actually broken. I guess it got brittle from age and repeated sitting caused it to break. I actually soldered is back to gather and covered it with some electrical tape and it started to work again. The brake was actually easy to find because the was a burn mark where the brake was.

priapism
11th July 2012, 02:03 PM
If the compressor is disconnected, you can test it by turning the spool by hand. Stick your finger in the hole where the hose goes. When you turn it, it should suck your finger in. If it doesn't, your compressor could be bad. They wear out.