Saab 9-5 Start up problems found video with same problem! [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Saab 9-5 Start up problems found video with same problem!

acemontv6SE
21st June 2012, 12:12 PM
Can anyone confirm is this means the timing belt snapped on my car and or the valves/head/pistons are smoked...

Saab 9-5 v6 start up problem - YouTube

A prompt reply would be greatly apprecaited. I really need to find out what this issue is, because if its the timing belt, could it have slipped off the teeth? Or just completely snapped? I thought they were like a REAL chain, never heard of one of those just snapping like that.

africansky
21st June 2012, 12:28 PM
I posted this video in one of your earlier posts about your v6's start up problem. Saab/GM's 54 degree V6 is an interference engine, meaning there is almost zero tolerance toward timing slippage. As I suspected earlier, there is a slight chance that broken serpentine belt could be sucked into the timing area via seized water pump and that can cause a lot of damage if timing is correspondingly affected.

If your car sounds like the one in the video, I think damage has already been done to valve/piston etc. I would stop cranking car right now and take the timing cover off to see the condition there before taking everything off to check out the heads.

Saaber95er
21st June 2012, 02:50 PM
Do you have fuel pressure? Can you hear the FP when you turn the ignition to on? Did you check your fuses, relays, and ground connections?

acemontv6SE
21st June 2012, 04:03 PM
I checked everything and have not gotten it to turn over. It happened on the highway. I heard a loud snap and then this happened. Im assuming the timing belt snapped :/

Saaber95er
21st June 2012, 04:17 PM
Pull one of the valve covers; and see if the valves and cams move when you crank it.

acemontv6SE
21st June 2012, 05:26 PM
I took off the serp belt and tensioner pulley engine mounts AGAIN took out the screws for the timing belt cover, got most of it off gotta get off the pulley for the idler in the middle and then its completely removed. The belt doesnt seem to be snapped or even off a tooth, there is complete tension there.... But my alternator pulley seems kind of bound up. Would a dead alternator prevent my car from running and turning over? Im assuming that would most definetally be the cause of my dead battery. Im sorry for the million questions. IM just a DIY single dad mechanic. Trying to get my car back on the road with the limited resources avaiable (fiances). I hope to find out that a bad alternator would be the cause of all of my problems... Is there any way it is possibly the AC compressor or the water pump?

Mike Brennan
22nd June 2012, 08:58 AM
Well, take the alt belt off and see