SaabCentral Forums banner

9-5 Windshield Availability and Heads-Up Display Question

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  SkiBum1229 
#1 ·
I’m about to pull the trigger on upgrading my 9-3 to a 9-5 (2010 Aero). Vehicle is/was equipped with the technology package including the heads-up display. At some point the windshield was cracked and replaced a stock 9-5 replacement, but the replacement was not equipped with the compatible component of the heads up display.
Question 1: Anyone know if 9-5 windshields are hard to come by, and if so where one cold pick up one compatible with the heads-up display? Ideas on cost?
Question 2: Anyone know how the heads-up display actually works. I test drove a separate car a while ago and thought it was just a projection onto a standard windshield. Apparently I was wrong, but I have no idea how it might work or how I may be able to create a workaround with the existing windshield?

Phil

#3 ·
That is what I thought too, but apparently is not the case. The dealer is telling me the replacement windshield is not compatible. Apparently corvettes have been using a similar unit for a while and have seen the same thing, with HUD windshields costing more than the non HUD units. I'm assuming it's some sort of clear coating that makes the projection readable on the glass.

#4 ·
The HUD windshield has a square section of glass that looks as if it tinted or something in order to project the HUD image.

All NG 9-5 windshields are very scarce. I recommend you join the International NG 9-5 group on Facebook. There's a long discussion about windshields, or lack there of.

#5 ·
I have a 93 and an 06 Grand Prix with HUD (my favorite feature and one of the reasons for purchasing) Anyways, my 93 windshield was replaced with a non-hud windshield. You can still see the image clearly . The image is not as bright and sometimes harder to see/darker when driving into the morning or afternoon sun. Besides that i have had no complaints. I would prefer the HUD specific windshield, but cost was much higher than a regular windshield.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.