Mods to fit super aeros [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Mods to fit super aeros

smael
31st May 2002, 11:37 AM
Anyone here who have fitted super aeros on their pre `88 Saab 900?Which mods did you have to do and is it worth it,seen from an economical point of view?

Eric van Spelde
31st May 2002, 12:36 PM
I did, by transferring the complete '88-on braking system to Saabine ('85 900T). Expensive, but well worth it if only for the vastly more reliable brakes. No sticking front calipers anymore. But if you go this route, go the whole hog - fit late-style 9000 calipers ('88- Turbo, 90- all) and discs at the front. As you have to get new calipers and discs anyway, and the only modification needed is trimming the backplates on the front hubs in order to clear the calipers, this won't add much (if anything) to the bill and makes for far better braking from high speeds.
But unless you have a pristine example or do it all yourself using a later donor vehicle, it will cost you the same or more as the book value of your car...

Look here:

http://geocities.com/turboteameurope/brake_conversion.htm

Good luck,
Eric

Fan-TC
1st June 2002, 08:15 AM
Just leave the back plate off when refitting the new brakes. It is totally uneseccary and just restricts vital cooling airflow...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fan-TC on Jun 1, 2002 12:17pm ]</font>

Eric van Spelde
1st June 2002, 08:45 AM
Not in a country where it rains 210 days a year - IIRC the first NG900s did not come with backing plates which were retrofitted after complaints of intially non-functioning brakes in heavy rain or just after going through water...

smael
1st June 2002, 01:12 PM
Thanks alot for the help,now I just gotta find the parts,which I really don`t look at as a big problem.
I might just need some of your help along the conversion,so I`ll probably keep in touch and letting you know how it goes.

Cheers