More Saabarus to come... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: More Saabarus to come...

20Ted
29-02-04, 04:36 PM
I just read in some car magazine (I can't remember which one!)...

Subaru is in the process of developing a new platform to create an all new crossover SUV, and that it will more than likely also be the platform for the 2nd generation 9-7X...

SPG900
29-02-04, 04:53 PM
Now that could be some good news at last. As long as it's just platform sharing, I'm not complaining. Certainly not if they share with Subaru (after all, they make quality cars). Let's see how many other parts they carry over though.

CosmicSaab
29-02-04, 06:25 PM
If they are jointly developed, like the Touareg and the Cyanne, then this could be a good thing. The Porsche and the VW are both very different in personality.

fabric
02-03-04, 12:16 PM
What I read was the Subaru SUV was to be based on an Outback/Legacy chassis. And the new Legacy is supposed to be a really nice car. They had one at the Chicago Auto show. The interior quality was leaps and bounds ahead of the last gen Legacy, and was very well designed.

E715, you are right about platform sharing. When done right, there is nothing wrong with it.

Now, the 9-2x and 9-7? That's another story. GM still lives more by badge-engineering than platform sharing. Ford, Daimler-Chrysler and VW have this stuff well sorted out.

CosmicSaab
02-03-04, 03:40 PM
From what I hear, the 9-7x should be pretty different from the other TBlazer variations.

Dan1
02-03-04, 03:54 PM
If they are jointly developed, like the Touareg and the Cyanne, then this could be a good thing. The Porsche and the VW are both very different in personality.
namely one is almost impossible to pronounce and the other would cost $50,000 USD less if you removed the company moniker :wink:

i personally am against any saab suv, but considering they are owned by GM, it's inevitable. that having been said, i'm glad they are at least using another quality car as the base for it.

CosmicSaab
02-03-04, 04:03 PM
They need an SUV, Saabs in the red right now, and there's no quicker way to make a buck in the U.S. than with an SUV. The TBlazer platform is a very good one, as you mentioned. The quality overall of them is questionable, but I expect the Saab to be built to a higher standard (God help Saab if it is not).

squishmann
07-03-04, 08:09 AM
i don't mind platform sharing either. i just don't like when they get lazy and everything begins to looke the same

Ford/Mazda/Volvo may have done the best job yet with their new cars.

it is pretty obvious to me that the Touareg and the Cayenne are the same vehicle. the only real difference is the price and engines

now i am assuming that this new subaru crossover is a replacement to the Forester. if so then saab would have two SUVs and it would be a replacement for the 9-7X. unless subaru is planning a bigger SUV. i like suv's as a secondary vehicle they have a nice ride and you can utilize them when needed

as long as they don't have similiar layouts, share engines,and share tech stuff then it's okay with me.

Toreador93
14-03-04, 04:46 PM
i don't mind platform sharing either. i just don't like when they get lazy and everything begins to looke the same

as long as they don't have similiar layouts, share engines,and share tech stuff then it's okay with me.

GM get lazy? NEVER!! GM share parts NO WAY!! </sarcasm>

This is what's scaring me away from GM-Saab. After the CTS stole the Saab Vents, then the 9-2 and 9-7...I'm going to end up owning a GM. Some GM's might be nice cars, but I went European for a reason. GM doesn't have anything to do with that reason.

At least if I buy a Volvo or Jaguar, it'll be a Volvo or Jaguar. Sadly, this might be my first/last Saab.

CosmicSaab
14-03-04, 04:53 PM

GM get lazy? NEVER!! GM share parts NO WAY!! </sarcasm>

This is what's scaring me away from GM-Saab. After the CTS stole the Saab Vents, then the 9-2 and 9-7...I'm going to end up owning a GM. Some GM's might be nice cars, but I went European for a reason. GM doesn't have anything to do with that reason.

At least if I buy a Volvo or Jaguar, it'll be a Volvo or Jaguar. Sadly, this might be my first/last Saab.

Yeah, cuse the Jaguar X-Type and S-Type do't share parts with any Ford models. Same with the Volvo S40. :roll: </sarcasm>

Oh wait that's right, the X-Type is a glorified Contour and even shares engines (the 3 liter) with the Ford Taurus and several other models (Mazda6, Lincoln LS) and the S-Type shares the platform and mechanicals (including basic engine, tranny, etc.) with the Lincoln LS.

And then the Volve S40 shares many parts with the Ford Focus and Mazda3. And Ford has said that Volvo will be sharing more parts in the future, you know, to cut costs.

And the 9-7x is supposed to be very different from the GMT360 SUVs, it will be smaller than any of them too. GMT360 is the name of the platform for the Tblazer, et al.

If you want a "pure" European, get a BMW or a Mercedes-Benz (they pass down parts, not the other way around)

squishmann
15-03-04, 12:56 AM
at least the jags and volvos still look like jags and volvos inside and out

saab has never been the one to come up with their own mechanics anyway right?

CosmicSaab
15-03-04, 10:03 AM

saab has never been the one to come up with their own mechanics anyway right?

And Saabs still look like Saabs (the 9-2x is not a Saab). And have you seen the Jaguar concepts??? If you had you would not be saying that Jags still look like Jags. I have no comment on Volvo.

Well, Saab has done some of their own mechanical work. Generally though they start out with something someone already has and then build from there, like with the 9-3SS. They started with a GM block and built form there.

fabric
15-03-04, 04:36 PM

The Jag, i'll agree.

Volvo, well, look at a 240 and look at the new S40; the only common theme is the grill. I wonder how long they'll stick with this current look.

SPG900
15-03-04, 10:10 PM
And Saabs still look like Saabs (the 9-2x is not a Saab).

It's badged and marketed as one though, isn't it? Indeed it's not a Saab, basically, but that's exactly the whole problem!

CosmicSaab
17-03-04, 06:19 PM
And Saabs still look like Saabs (the 9-2x is not a Saab).

It's badged and marketed as one though, isn't it? Indeed it's not a Saab, basically, but that's exactly the whole problem!

Yes it will be badged and marketed as a Saab. It still does not count, not different enough.

The rest of the Saabs, including the 9-7x still look like Saabs and drive like them too. The 9-7x will be significanlty fifferent from the other GMT360s, it will not be a rebadge, so it counts.