intercooler [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: intercooler

automec1062
29th May 2002, 07:39 PM
i hear some people have the intercooler mounted in front of the radiator . HOW??? and what one ???
mike

Simon
30th May 2002, 01:14 PM
There was a website that showed how to do this but can't remember the URL at the moment, anyone else?

Simon.

bohtak
30th May 2002, 01:34 PM
http://www.dave-new.com/Tim/Timthumb.html
here's the site, but i think it's just pictures.. should be enough info there.

bohtak
30th May 2002, 09:21 PM
here's another
http://plaza.powersurfr.com/vtong/spg/spg-performance-engine-turbo.htm

Janne Selinummi
31st May 2002, 05:17 AM
I will soon be able to provide pictures of my IC installment. It's a WRC-type custom made IC that is semi-rigidly installed between front bumper and the radiator. In this setup, the radiator could be kept in the standard position, but the rad support "frame" needed to be cut a little.
It'll take a few days to get the pics ready, but if anyone is interested, please let me know!

Fan-TC
31st May 2002, 06:29 AM
Janne- i wait to hear about you IC install.
Will you be retaining the AC????

Custard
31st May 2002, 08:04 AM
Would A Carlsson front bumper not make the perfect mount for a front mounted intercooler. You could install it in the 'mouth' of the bumper. Any one see a problem with this. Is there anyone who makes carlsson style bumpers?

Thanks

Janne Selinummi
31st May 2002, 09:15 AM
Custard, that is indeed a popular way to mount a FMIC. The only problem is, that with the IC hanging so far in the front, the core would get damaged quite easily if any kind of an impact was to take place up front.
One could, of course, build extensions to the radiator support, so that airflow would be more controlled, and the IC would be a bit safer. Still, a great place to mount the IC, as the airflow is much better that way than it is with the stock bumper.
I think Erebuni do such a bodykit for the c900.

Fan-TC, my car doesn't even have an AC. so this makes things easier as far as the IC installment is concerned. Was AC standard in c900T in Australia? Here in Finland not many 900s have AC, since the system was kind of expensive, and it's only that warm in here for three to four months a year.

Custard
31st May 2002, 12:40 PM
Theres quite a few Evo 6's round my way and apart from the odd ding their intercoolers look okay, I think it would be okay (fingers crossed). Has anybody seen the Erubuni bumper, is it siliar to the Carlsson one? Whats it made of and is the finish good, is the T16 in the Gallery on page 3 (the grey one with lots of nice gauges) wearing one? That looks rather nice.

Cheers

Fan-TC
1st June 2002, 07:13 AM
Most c900t 's i have seen have AC. But in australia we kinda need it......

As far as IC mods go, i am still very undecided what the best option is.....

I still like the water-air idea though, seems very simple and it offers many advantages over AIR-Air (also has its disadvantages)

Janne Selinummi
1st June 2002, 01:04 PM
A water-to-air type of IC could well be the answer if you wnt to retain the AC.
The IC's water radiator can be placed much more freely than a air-to-air core, since you only have to worry about airflow to one direction, as opposed to having to provide a good through-flow fir the compressed air as well.

Also, as the Abbott Racing's chargecooler kit proves, the water radiator part doesn't have to be huge to gain good effect.

How about a thin radiator for IC water right in front of the engine cooling radiator. Surface area could be the same as the cooling radiator while there would still be enough room for the AC rad in front of it.
And you wouldn't even have to make new pressure pipes for the heat exchanger unit, if it was directly in place of the stock IC.
Cool, innit? :smile:

Janne Selinummi
1st June 2002, 01:18 PM
Here's a picture of my on-going IC-installment.
This is a preliminary photo, and much work has been done after this. Picture quality is bad as I had to cut the size up quite heavily to allow posting here on the forum.

Even so, here's the basic idea, some mods have been done to the pipework, and this time there's a real mounting bracket for the upper mounting point, instead of the piece of wood you can (hopefully not) see in the pictures. :smile:

I'll keep you guys posted.
./uploads/IC_small1.jpg

Janne Selinummi
1st June 2002, 01:19 PM
...and from the other side...
./uploads/IC_small2.jpg

Eric van Spelde
2nd June 2002, 01:42 AM
Holy Aardvark Batman!!

Hope you don't mind, but I snatched the pictures for use on the TTE site - at last, another project for the site that has not be done by yours truly!

Looks very, very nice!

Happy Saabing,
Eric

Fan-TC
2nd June 2002, 01:49 AM
nice pics, looks like a nice setup....

ep gio
7th June 2002, 01:54 AM
Janne,
My compliments too on it.

I like it very much but my only concern is how it would behave in hot Italian climate.

Janne Selinummi
7th June 2002, 08:40 AM
Thanks everyone!
The installation is now complete, and I have driven the car for 120 kilometers with the new IC. So far I can't give comparing information, because I'm suffering an APC problem, meaning in driving it as LPT right now.

When I get the APC fault sorted out, I'll be able to tell you how differently the car drives. Even now, with just basic boost, it feels there's noticeably more pull when it goes on boost. Turbo lag has increased a bit, but not so much that it would be a driveability problem. The fact that I used 60mm piping causes some extra lag in my current configuration, but I wanted to build the pipework so that it's going to be enough for my final target of 300+ horsepower.
That's another story, by the way... :smile:

tandino
7th June 2002, 02:49 PM
Janne,
Looks really good, im going down the 9000 intercooler route when my engine gets sorted, ive recently got hold of the pipework from a 9k turbo and i have the choice of a Volvo 760 turbo intercooler or the 9k one, i know the Volvo one fits in a treat with my A/C still in place, ill have to try the 9k one and see what happens re: fit.
More info when its fitted!

Pete.