PPC Review [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: PPC Review

jmcorsi1172
26th February 2004, 10:48 PM
I'm new to the site but have been reading this site since I bought my 2003 Linear in November of '02. While I love my car, I have to admit that I wish it had a little more horsepower. However, when I purchased my car, the Vector (Aero) and Arc had not yet been released. But I wanted the car and figured I could upgrade the ECU and customize for the extra 5,000 the other models cost.

Well, I ordered the PPC from Genuine Saab and it arrived today at work. I couldn't wait to leave to try it out. I loaded the software in the parking garage in under 10 minutes as promised. Upon hitting the gas there was an immediate difference. The car lacked power in the lower gears but it's there now. Apparently, it may take a few days for the ECU to adapt to get the full effect. A follow up report to come next week. Regards.

WallySaab
26th February 2004, 10:59 PM
I got the PPC this afternoon and couldn't wait until tommorrow to try it. Installed in 6 minutes as advertised and made an immediate difference. I just took it down my neighbor hood vacant stretch of hiway, no slope at all, dead calm, and I just buried the speedo past 160 :o :o :o The combination of the PPC, ITG filter, and the Magnaflow SS exhaust has made a significant difference :cheesy: I will drive it through the weekend and give more impressions next week :P

03_Saab 9-3
26th February 2004, 11:10 PM
This is awesome news!! Im so glad some ppl have tried it, honestly ive been a bit scared to try it out, do you know if you can restore it back to factory settings before getting warranty work done?

Sweet! Keep us posted... do you mind telling how much it costs and where you got it?

WallySaab
26th February 2004, 11:20 PM
The manuel says it is the same procedure to restore the original programing ~ 6 minutes :D Very easy :wink: I paid $1007 from Genuine Saab, this includes everything including shipping. The car is definitely virging on rocket status :o 8) :lol: :cheesy: I usually always turn the ESP off when I get in the car if the roads are dry, but I can tell you that the Dunlop M3 winter sports which I really like are nothing but tire smoke in 1st and 2nd gears now :o :! I really didn't think I would ever have to worry about feathering the throtle in this car but guess again :roll: I can't wait to do a little road trip this weekend to get a better feel :P

Saba
26th February 2004, 11:30 PM
I'm new to the site but have been reading this site since I bought my 2003 Linear in November of '02. While I love my car, I have to admit that I wish it had a little more horsepower. However, when I purchased my car, the Vector (Aero) and Arc had not yet been released. But I wanted the car and figured I could upgrade the ECU and customize for the extra 5,000 the other models cost.

Well, I ordered the PPC from Genuine Saab and it arrived today at work. I couldn't wait to leave to try it out. I loaded the software in the parking garage in under 10 minutes as promised. Upon hitting the gas there was an immediate difference. The car lacked power in the lower gears but it's there now. Apparently, it may take a few days for the ECU to adapt to get the full effect. A follow up report to come next week. Regards.So I gather you got the 2.0t upgrade. This is what I want to get. Looking forward to what you have to say.

ChadJ99
27th February 2004, 02:54 PM
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about working on testing the difference "chip" upgrades for our cars (well my car ('04 9-3 aero). I'm trying to work out the details to "borrow" both the BSR PPC upgrade,and the Superchip upgrade . I plan on using the same dyno shop and tech for all the tesing. (and of course the same car)

here's my plan:

1. Dyno the car "as is" (stock)
2. install j/r or ITG filter (which ever I can get "donated") and drive the car for a weekn (300-400 mi.)
3. Dyno again (w/ filter only)
4.Have the BSR PPC upgrade installed, and drive the car for a week
5. Dyno again
6. Remove the BSR PPC, and inistall the Superchips upgrade, and drive the car for a week.
7. Dyno again.
8. Post results

This should give us an idea of how the upgrades differ. I will report on both the dyno results as well the how the car perform during daily driving.

If any one has a connection to a air filter dealer/ or a BSR dealer, please let me know. (chad 310-345-5975) I have the Superchip dealer working a deal with me, as he seems confident his upgrade will win out.

I imagine it will be a few weeks before I begin, and I welcome any suuestions/comments. (the dealer siad the superchip programming for our cars should be done by and of March)

Looking forward to contributing more to this forum..
Chad
'04 9-3 Aero
Espresso Black

moz
27th February 2004, 02:55 PM
Chad, sounds excellent - I look forward to your results.

Nice color btw, also good to see another SS in Southern Cal (I'm in Irvine).

ChadJ99
27th February 2004, 03:05 PM
Let me add I have NO affiliation with any Auto parts manufatcurer, tuning company, repair shop of anything of the like.

I am just a "normal" guy looking for reasons to go messing around with and spending even more money on a perfectly good car. (in fact a great car!!!)

Chad
'04 9-3 Aero
Espresso Black

jmcorsi1172
28th February 2004, 07:59 PM
I'll try to reply to a few of the questions posed:

1. I purchased the BSR PPC from Talafiero genuinesaab.com.
2. Cost with rechargeable filter. USD 1,000. Best money I have spent in a long time.
3. PPC was for the 2.0t (175 h.p.).

I have had the chip in for a couple of days now and I absolutley love the results - much more pick up in the lower gears. Have fun driving! By the way, has anyone heard/read that this resets the "oil life" in the computer? Let me know. Thanks.

hsinbridge
29th February 2004, 11:37 AM
Hi guys,

I am from Taiwan. My car is a SAAB9-3SS Arc. I am considering to purchase the BSR PPC tuning device to upgrade the performance of my SAAB.

From the forum of this excellent Website, I do learn something about the issue of the BSR and have more confidence to buy one device from PartsforSaabs. Many thanks!!

SS
29th February 2004, 02:37 PM
You guys, BSR stated once that you will be able to always have the latest software on your PPC by downloading the software off the internet. What do they mean, and every when will they have this upgraded software available?

Thomthor
29th February 2004, 03:42 PM
jmcorsi1172-

You can check the oil life monitor yourself. Its in the profiler under system settings. Let us know.

joshd2012
29th February 2004, 03:59 PM
You guys, BSR stated once that you will be able to always have the latest software on your PPC by downloading the software off the internet. What do they mean, and every when will they have this upgraded software available?

The upgraded software should come out as they work on it. Currently, the Aero only has a Stage 1 upgrade, so expect a Stage 2 and Stage 3 upgrade to become available over the internet (for a small fee). I doubt you will see any upgrades to the current software until after they get all the stages out.

Pelle
29th February 2004, 05:29 PM
BSR continues develpoing tuning for SS. This BSR car was recently seen at a exhibition in Gothenburg. It is said to contain 300 hp and is based on a 1,8t, i dont know what they have done with it, there is no official infor from BSR about that for the moment. As you could see from the picture they have added som race styling :)
http://www.x40nordic.com/Gallery/Upload/BSR_Saab_93SS.jpg

joshd2012
29th February 2004, 06:00 PM
They actually painted the dyno results on the hood. That is cool. 8)

doodler
29th February 2004, 07:38 PM
300hp from a 1.8t? Ahem, please put me on the waiting list!

Hope they're not serious about that carbonfibre-looking rear wing though.

jmcorsi1172
29th February 2004, 08:53 PM
Thomthor,
Thanks. Actually, today ironically enough, the SID said it was time for my to get my car serviced. I checked the service data and the oil quality/life was at 1%. That is about right as my car has just about 10,000 miles and I am in traffic a lot. The manual said the car should be serviced between 10-15K miles so I am right on schedule. Apparently the upgrade does not erase the "oil life"!

SS,
When you get the unit, which is nothing more than a handheld, you get a username and password to the BSR website. If they come out with a new version of the product you purchased (Stage I or II or III), you can download it to your handheld. You are suppose to get an email if/when this is available.

Like Pelle, I did hear the BSR has a lot more in the works (per Taliaferro Imports).

CrankCase
1st March 2004, 05:33 AM
Pelle,
Is there a BSR dealer in Malmo? I travel to Copenhagen sometimes, so it might be worth a visit. Thanks.

Saba
1st March 2004, 06:03 AM
BSR continues develpoing tuning for SS. This BSR car was recently seen at a exhibition in Gothenburg. It is said to contain 300 hp and is based on a 1,8t, i dont know what they have done with it, there is no official infor from BSR about that for the moment. As you could see from the picture they have added som race styling :)
http://www.x40nordic.com/Gallery/Upload/BSR_Saab_93SS.jpgSo much for Nordic Tuning's claim that the 2.0 is "too weak" :nono;

Is that "Steg 4" I see on the box on the hood?

Pelle
1st March 2004, 06:43 AM
Pelle,
Is there a BSR dealer in Malmo? I travel to Copenhagen sometimes, so it might be worth a visit. Thanks.

Nope, but Växjö and BSR is only about 150 km from Malmö. So if you have a car for your disposal in Copenhagen you can visit the "Mother-Ship" :D

CrankCase
1st March 2004, 06:46 AM
Thanks, I might just do that the next time I'm in Denmark!

mav238
1st March 2004, 12:38 PM

Well, I ordered the PPC from Genuine Saab and it arrived today at work. I couldn't wait to leave to try it out. I loaded the software in the parking garage in under 10 minutes as promised. Upon hitting the gas there was an immediate difference. The car lacked power in the lower gears but it's there now. Apparently, it may take a few days for the ECU to adapt to get the full effect. A follow up report to come next week. Regards.

Can you provide some feedback on the impact of the PPC tuning on the gas consumption? Sometimes, the tuning, although bumps performance, also impacts negatively on the fuel consumption. But if the tuner knows their stuff, impact is minimal (when you drive normally or non-aggressively).

Thanks.

Congrats on your new PPC installation! :D

jmcorsi1172
2nd March 2004, 12:00 AM
Mav238,
Unfortunately, I can not provide any information about whether there was a change in fuel consumption. This is not something I have ever monitored. If I did, I do not think it would be a very good indication of miles per gallon anyway. I live in the Boston area and there is a great deal of traffic.

However, even if the fuel efficiency did go down, I wouldn't mind. The car is a lot more fun to drive now (when I'm not in traffic)! Sorry I could not have been more helpful.

SS
2nd March 2004, 12:09 AM
I am another victim of ordering the PPC today. I tell you guys i am worried. About what? I dont know, but i was always against fooling around with the engines of expensive cars. I presume it will arrive on friday or monday at the latest. Anyone was a bit worried upon installing the thing?

pjku79
2nd March 2004, 10:30 AM
anyone know the difference between the 175hp upgrade and the 210hp upgrade? i know the difference origionally is the turbo, but why cant you do the 210 upgrade to the 175hp engine. the engines are the same.

Johnken
2nd March 2004, 11:33 AM
The engineblocks are the same but the 210 hp have other camshafts, turbo, fuel injectors and pistons. I think that's about it, except for the software of course.

mav238
2nd March 2004, 01:18 PM
I am another victim of ordering the PPC today. I tell you guys i am worried. About what? I dont know, but i was always against fooling around with the engines of expensive cars. I presume it will arrive on friday or monday at the latest. Anyone was a bit worried upon installing the thing?

Hey SS,

can you tell me how much you actually payed in Canadian dollars for this unit, including shipping?

Mr.Question
2nd March 2004, 03:08 PM
does anyone know where to get that front lip on the bsr car?

sjhudon
2nd March 2004, 04:29 PM

where can i get details on this car? (in english perferably)

SS
2nd March 2004, 06:32 PM

Hey SS,

can you tell me how much you actually payed in Canadian dollars for this unit, including shipping?

You see Mav, we canadians are always screwed. I ordered by credit card. The PPC cost price including shipping is 469.17 english pounds. So i called my credit card company to ask them what the charges would be in canadian and they told me that the credit card will be charged in english pounds, then transfered into US dollars, which makes $909 US (including the rate that the credit card company charges). After that, it is transfered into canadian currency which, according to the CC company is $1227 CAD (including shipping and everything). If thats the only case, then i payed cheaper than anyone else. Although someone said that i have to still pay customs fee, but i dont think so, cause i ordered stuff from the US before and i didnt pay anything, so it shouldnt be any different coming from the UK (i bought mine from parts for saabs). So finally, everything until now has cost me $1227 CAD. If i pay any customs fees or anything, i will let you know!!

P.S: I dont know if you have noticed, but PFS took a $100 US off the original price tag, i dont know why!!

WallySaab
2nd March 2004, 07:06 PM
Here are my observations after a 500 miles of the PPC Upgrade in my 03-vector 2.0T. First gear is only used to get started and heavy traffic, with all the torque available it is useless to nail it in first you will experience only wheel spin or the esp is overriding. If you are trying to cut quick laps or blasting through your favorite twisties you will never shift lower than 2nd. I feel response time is similar to before although the rush is so much harder it tends to feel slower(I don't know if that makes sense but it is what I feel) In every day driving you will find yourself shifting less because the extra torque makes using a higher gear desirable. I am hearing occasional turbo whine now that I didn't have before(cool). Gas Mileage is fairly unchanged for every day driving but if you keep your right foot planted a lot you will see a significant drop off. I ran a mormal commute for me with no unusual driving and got 26 mpg which is what I usually get. I filled up for the weekend and had a blast and even after the casual commute this morning I still only got 21mpg. :o My overall impression is that the PPC unit is better than advertised. One word of warning you need to pay attention until you are used to the upgrade. The car achieves 130 mph so effortlessly that you might find your car inpounded. Top end speeds are up about 7-8 mph at truly scary speeds. At 3000' elevation with the light air that is 160 :o This car really makes me yearn for the days when Montana had no speed limit :evil: If I had a negative comment it would be that it is really hard to keep your foot on a leash. I also think that power delivery is not as smooth as before which is just a function of the violent reaction you get when you dip into the turbo. More later.

Viscouse
2nd March 2004, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the great review, WallySaab. So far no one's said anything bad about the upgrade, and in fact it exceeds expectations.

Way incouraging. :cheesy:

Just need to scratch together some dough now.

03_Saab 9-3
2nd March 2004, 08:09 PM
Just need to scratch together some dough now.

Hehe.. yep.. now i am out of the skeptical/nervous phase... moved into "dough scraping" phase haha.

Saba
2nd March 2004, 08:55 PM
does anyone know where to get that front lip on the bsr car?Looks like its just a flat curve of carbon fibre/plastic/fibreglass/whatever bolted to the bottom of the Aero spoiler.

SS
2nd March 2004, 11:59 PM
To anyone who has purchased the PPC:

In the Manual for PPC Upload/Download, one of the steps states:

Press “Upload from PPC” if you have to send the cars original file to BSR for tuning. BSR will tune this file and you can download it when it’s ready. (This can take some days)

What the hell and why the hell would we want to do that. Someone please clarify because i dont understand at all!!

I have another question: How would we know that there is a new update that we can download on the PPC?

Saba
3rd March 2004, 12:17 AM
To anyone who has purchased the PPC:

In the Manual for PPC Upload/Download, one of the steps states:

Press “Upload from PPC” if you have to send the cars original file to BSR for tuning. BSR will tune this file and you can download it when it’s ready. (This can take some days)

What the hell and why the hell would we want to do that. Someone please clarify because i dont understand at all!!

I have another question: How would we know that there is a new update that we can download on the PPC?
Q1, don't know
Q2, by email apparently, they will email you.

Johnken
3rd March 2004, 10:04 AM
If the software in your car is a newer version than the one bsr has sent to you, when uploading the ppc software, the new file from the car will be stored in the ppc as always. Now you can send the newer version of the software that came from your car to BSR and they will tune this software for you and than send it back to you. Then you just move it from your computer to the ppc and upload it to your car.

This feature is for both us who use the cars and for bsr, so that they are up to date on the newest software.

Good, yeah :)

Vector-SS
3rd March 2004, 11:40 AM
hey Johnken,

I just realized that your nickname was 18" BBS. Do you have any pictures of your car with the 18's? If so, can you please post some. Thanks

mav238
3rd March 2004, 11:43 AM

Hey SS,

You see Mav, we canadians are always screwed. I ordered by credit card. The PPC cost price including shipping is 469.17 english pounds. So i called my credit card company to ask them what the charges would be in canadian and they told me that the credit card will be charged in english pounds, then transfered into US dollars, which makes $909 US (including the rate that the credit card company charges). After that, it is transfered into canadian currency which, according to the CC company is $1227 CAD (including shipping and everything). If thats the only case, then i payed cheaper than anyone else. Although someone said that i have to still pay customs fee, but i dont think so, cause i ordered stuff from the US before and i didnt pay anything, so it shouldnt be any different coming from the UK (i bought mine from parts for saabs). So finally, everything until now has cost me $1227 CAD. If i pay any customs fees or anything, i will let you know!!

P.S: I dont know if you have noticed, but PFS took a $100 US off the original price tag, i dont know why!!

The USD100 discount was for the VAT taxes added to customers who are in Europe.

Thanks for the update on the actual cost in Canadian funds, and also please let me know if there were any canadian custom fees/duties.

brucec32
3rd March 2004, 02:22 PM
I know it's crazy, but I think I'm gonna spring for this thing too.

Again to the users of it, are you noticing an improvement in the slow "lag" when starting out from a stop? I know the engine has to get up to rpms, but I also thought I noticed that the curves showed better power at low rpm's. I want to be able to dart accross or onto a road in heavy traffic again.

Johnken
3rd March 2004, 02:31 PM
hey Johnken,

I just realized that your nickname was 18" BBS. Do you have any pictures of your car with the 18's? If so, can you please post some. Thanks

There is snow lying on the ground in sweden, which makes us saab-drivers and all others for that matter, "style" our cars with wintertyres. Not very pleasing. Waiting to get my hands on a set of 19" BBS Challenge to put on when summer arives.

Got a PS picture that I can post till summer gets here

moz
3rd March 2004, 03:08 PM
It is very encouraging that the PPC upgrade seems to be performing so well. I do want to wait a little more, only because of the initial findings Nordic published about the stability of the engine on the new SS.

Almost immediately afterward BSR came out with significantly higher power gains so I will wait and see what the long-term effects are if any. Nordic have been working with Saab for a long time, so I wonder if there is any weight to these concerns.

Saba
3rd March 2004, 06:05 PM
It is very encouraging that the PPC upgrade seems to be performing so well. I do want to wait a little more, only because of the initial findings Nordic published about the stability of the engine on the new SS.

Almost immediately afterward BSR came out with significantly higher power gains so I will wait and see what the long-term effects are if any. Nordic have been working with Saab for a long time, so I wonder if there is any weight to these concerns.My thoughts too.

chico_85
3rd March 2004, 06:44 PM

I guess with 300HP the car is so fast the front plate almost fell off. :cheesy:

WASAAB
4th March 2004, 04:41 PM

I guess with 300HP the car is so fast the front plate almost fell off. :cheesy:
nonono :nono; Blown up Pistons knocked out that front plate :wink: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Mr.Question
5th March 2004, 09:35 PM
My Question is if they send you this little thing you plug into your computer then why the hell are we all buying it? Can't just one of us buy it then everyone chips in money and all us the product I mean it is nice to have your own tools in your garage but dang if my friend next door has more why not use his right? :roll:

TheKomoman
5th March 2004, 10:13 PM
My Question is if they send you this little thing you plug into your computer then why the hell are we all buying it? Can't just one of us buy it then everyone chips in money and all us the product I mean it is nice to have your own tools in your garage but dang if my friend next door has more why not use his right? :roll:

The PPC "marries" itself to your car's ID. It can then only be used on that car.

Thomthor
5th March 2004, 11:32 PM
How long do you think they would stay in business if everyone did this? Then one day you would be crying about how you cant find any performance upgrades for your 2008 Saab.

Dave N
7th March 2004, 02:42 AM
I guess all you lucky people who aleady have acquired a PPC upgrade will be too busy enjoying the improved performance, but has anyone tried switching back to the normal software settings on the PPC yet? Just curious.

Cheers Dave N :)

WallySaab
7th March 2004, 03:56 PM
Dave N: I actually plan on going back to the stock programing when I put my winter tires back on next winter. I think it is just easier to drive on crappy roads with less power on tap and if the roads get better it only takes 6 minutes to retrieve those extra fun tickets :wink: I had the Flu much of this week so my baby sat in the garage. I took it out yesterday and had the smile reapplied to my face. I love what the ppc has done for my vector :!

mjm8975
8th March 2004, 02:46 AM
just a quick question - especially to any uk guys - have you informed your insurance company about the upgrade?

jmcorsi1172
9th March 2004, 01:37 AM
I returned the car back to factory settings the other day when it was time to take the car in for servicing. There were no problems in doing so. Later this week, I will pick the car up and switch back to the "tuned" setting.

Once the snow stops her in Boston, I will be installing my lowering sprins and 17" BBS rims. Apparently, it is a good idea to have the ECU recalibrated for the new wheels. Not sure if it really make a difference because I plus sized. We'll see in a few weeks if the snow stops

finklejag
9th March 2004, 01:58 AM
No need to recalibrate your ECU. As long as your tire size 225/45/17, you will be fine.

TheKomoman
9th March 2004, 07:34 AM
just a quick question - especially to any uk guys - have you informed your insurance company about the upgrade?

We generally don't have those issues here in the US. I was exchanging e-mails with a friend in Germany and he told me how were he to do an upgrade of this sort he would have to register the data on his title, have the car re-inspected, get his insurance changed, etc. The upgrade would wind up costing him more than double! :o

Sometimes it's good to be a Yank.

jmcorsi1172
11th March 2004, 11:14 PM
finklejag,

Thanks for the note. Those are the size tires I purchased. I wondered what the tech at my Saab dealership was talking about. The overall diameter of the tire remained the same with the larger rims. Glad I'm not crazy.

suyoungman
17th March 2004, 10:48 PM
I was wondering if anyone can clarify this matter for me.

I want to confirm whether the dealership would find anything out about the PPC unit if I were to take it in for warranty repairs and so forth. I know the unit can be installed and taken back out at the owner's will, but I wanted to confirm if the car's computer might remember the PPC unit having been installed in the car.

Please clarify ASAP cuz I plan on purchasing the unit within the week~

L.A.saaberino
27th March 2004, 11:53 PM
my question is the same as the last guy - when i take my car in for service/repairs will the dealership be able to tell that i had my car tweaked even if i return it to factory settings first? also what is the diff between the ppc talked about in this forum and the individual bsr ones ive seen. they both say bsr on them but i guess one can upgrade to anything and the other has only one upgrade setting??? :roll: im really looking for some hp gains on my linear but am unsure of the best route - also concenerned that the ppc will "overwork" and hurt my engine. is this a legitamite concern?

Paul
28th March 2004, 07:10 AM
also what is the diff between the ppc talked about in this forum and the individual bsr ones ive seen. they both say bsr on them but i guess one can upgrade to anything and the other has only one upgrade setting??? :roll:

?? There is only one PPC, not two......

LinearSLT
28th March 2004, 07:12 PM
Put the 1st 100 kms on my PPC linear with Sport Launch and Touring. Summer tires went on today (17" Rosso's) guaranteeing snow in the next 7 days. What a hoot, the car is to drive now. Lag is reduced in my opinion and the usable torque starts down lower. Scooting across a road with cross-traffic is not a nailbiting experience now. It's a wonderful complement to the Saab suspension.

L.A.saaberino
4th April 2004, 03:48 AM
also what is the diff between the ppc talked about in this forum and the individual bsr ones ive seen. they both say bsr on them but i guess one can upgrade to anything and the other has only one upgrade setting??? :roll:

?? There is only one PPC, not two......

well then what about here where there are two differnt ones for differnt prices and hp boosts here (http://www.partsforsaabs.com/default.php?cPath=28_270_353) for the 2.0t linear and the one here that isnt preloaded (http://www.genuinesaab.com/detail.asp?product_id=PPC)

does PFS just take care of loading the programs ahead of time?

SS
4th April 2004, 06:41 AM
well then what about here where there are two differnt ones for differnt prices and hp boosts here (http://www.partsforsaabs.com/default.php?cPath=28_270_353) for the 2.0t linear and the one here that isnt preloaded (http://www.genuinesaab.com/detail.asp?product_id=PPC)

There is only ONE PPC and it is from BSR :wink: I dont know where you see Hp boost on the one from genuine saab, but him and parts for saabs are two different distributors in two different countries. So it is reasonable for them to have different pricing. Maybe you saw a comparison of the PPC, one for the 1.8t and one for the 2.0T. PPC did not only come out for the 9-3ss, but it was introduced earlier for earlier models as well!!! Hope that answers your questions!

MikeHart
4th April 2004, 04:15 PM
I was wondering if anyone can clarify this matter for me.

I want to confirm whether the dealership would find anything out about the PPC unit if I were to take it in for warranty repairs and so forth. I know the unit can be installed and taken back out at the owner's will, but I wanted to confirm if the car's computer might remember the PPC unit having been installed in the car.

Please clarify ASAP cuz I plan on purchasing the unit within the week~

It's a difficult question to answer that! I'm not that familiar with Saab servicing (it's my parents that own an Aero :p, I personally have a Seat :D) but TBH it's unlikely that they will ever know as they probably won't be checking the ECU. The only thing is, a lot of car dealers can now tell if a car has ever been chipped, even if the chip/program is no longer installed. I have a few friends who have spoken to service men within the VAG group and they have been told that you can actually see all the details of the engines life when plugged into their computer! This includes things like whether the rev limiter has been hit and also symptoms that are caused by chip tuning such as increased fuel flow and higher boost presures on turbos.

As I said though, it's unlikely that they will ever check ;) It's only if you have to claim on warranty for an engine related problem that they are likely to get ar5ey. But....the dealers would actually have to prove that the chip caused the failure which can be more costly than just fixing it (as it may entail them taking the engine to bits). If you put up a fight like some of my friends have (their turbos went on their VW 1.8t Units due to suggested higher boost pressures) then they will just give in and make a warranty claim.

Hope that hasn't put you off! At the end of the day it's highly unlikely that anything would ever go wrong on your engine with a chip...after all....look at the number of people that do this to their cars successfully!

On a totally different matter. A couple of people said they were impressed if the BSR car was originally a 1.8t. Have a look in the bottom right hand corner of the windscreen. Is that a boost guage I see ;) Of course the 1.8t is the only model that doesn't have a boost guage as standard :D

Johnken
4th April 2004, 05:01 PM
It wouldn't be to difficult mounting a turbo guage afterwords. I don't think BSR would be that stupid to buy a car + speedparts 3 cars when hradware is identical only to end up paying 1000$ xtra/car only to get the turbo guage

Saba
4th April 2004, 06:56 PM
[quote=suyoungman]On a totally different matter. A couple of people said they were impressed if the BSR car was originally a 1.8t. Have a look in the bottom right hand corner of the windscreen. Is that a boost guage I see ;) Of course the 1.8t is the only model that doesn't have a boost guage as standard :DIt was a 2.0t. If you look at the dyno charts painted on the bonnet, the original torque was 265Nm. That is what the 2.0t is. But the 1.8t and 2.0t are identical in every respect except for ECU settings, so its really irrelevant what it was.

MikeHart
4th April 2004, 06:58 PM
That's what I was meaning! :roll: Like you say....no point in spending all that extra green when your gonna mod it anyway. It's likely they may add a boost guage (which is what I'm pretty sure that thing in the window is) as it means they can keep an eye on pressures, especially if the thing is putting out 300bhp. If they start to drop it can indicate a failure of somekind and prevent a rather expensive rebuild!