SaabCentral Forums banner

HID Conversion on Base 2011 9-5 lights flickering problem???

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Bryce804 
#1 ·
Ok, I recently became an owner of the new 2011 SAAB V4 2.0 AUTO/Turbo and already started my aftermarket upgrade list. I recently purchased the 6K HID kit for both headlights & fogs since I did not buy the technology package model. I noticed later that day the lights were flickering? The lights stay on which is not a problem and work well w/ DRL's
(Day Running Lights) which is pretty cool option to have DRL's and HID fogs lights on at the same time.

But I am faced w/ the only problem when turning my HID lights ON about 1min later the "flickering" (strobbing) begins?? This is becoming an annoying problem, and have Google'd my way through every website w/ no answers yet. I took the car back to the shop later that week where I purchased the HID kit for them to help fix the problem but this has become a nightmare as they are having a tough time trying to figure out the issue really is???? Below are steps they tried and I am scheduled to go back this Friday for an alternate "relay fix option" they will try.

Anyone having a similar issue or have tech knowledge for this fix would be greatly appreciated??

Steps performed so far>

- Disconnected DRL's (no luck)
- Swapped Ballasts from the original thick version to "slim" ones (no luck)
- Rotated/connected light modules from upright/downright position (no luck)
- Checked fuse box under the hood to see if there were any fuses required
(no luck)
- Disconnected fog lights to see if there was a power consumption for running both headlight/fogs (no luck)

Steps to be tested this upcoming Friday>

- Install relay harness??
- Install resistors to even lighting distribution levels??

Again any help is extremely urgent as I am scared my lights are a ticking time B*mb at this point!!!!

Alex - :eek:

See less See more
#2 ·
Search through the 9-3 ss forum, this is a common problem with people upgrading their headlights to hids. Maybe their related enough that its the same kind of problem your experiencing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.