BSR Exhaust System [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: BSR Exhaust System

SaabAnimal
24-02-04, 08:41 PM
Just wondering if anyone has the BSR exhaust cat-back system and their experiences with it... I'm thinking about ordering it, maybe along with the PPC when I hear the results from all you brave souls who are trying it first. Thanks for your time!

Simon
26-02-04, 07:43 AM
BSR will be releasing a CAT back system for cars with the cut out in the rear bumper within the next few weeks.

joshd2012
26-02-04, 05:07 PM
BSR will be releasing a CAT back system for cars with the cut out in the rear bumper within the next few weeks.

Cut out? You mean the Aero trim?

moz
26-02-04, 05:58 PM

Cut out? You mean the Aero trim?

Correct. Alternatively, if you have the OEM Saab Body Kit fitted.

SaabAnimal
26-02-04, 06:29 PM
I thought it was already out. Isn't it listed on PFS and Genuine Saab? Simon or Moz, you guys no any more info about it? I can't read the swedish web site. Thanks for your help

Simon
26-02-04, 07:24 PM
The system currently offered by BSR will only fit cars without the bodykit.

CallipNCSUsaab
26-02-04, 08:09 PM
^ so that exhaust system is for say the arcs who dont have the body kit/decor kit? Any idea how that works.. I assumed all other exhausts except the one on the car would require the decor kit at least.

any gains / notice in sound?

Saba
26-02-04, 08:34 PM
BSR Stage 2 consists of the PPC, catback and JR Filter. It gives you 4 bhp more and no torque gain over Stage 1. Good value for the extra $750. :nono; Go with the Saab Sports exhausts, I heard claims that it offers 6-15bhp gains. Although I'm skeptical on those, but its a lot less in price.

SaabAnimal
26-02-04, 11:35 PM
Wow, I agree with you that $750 is a joke for around 4 bhp. Where did you hear about the 6-15 bhp gains for the Saab Sports exhaust? I thought that it just had a more aggressive tone. But if it does offer even a few ponies that is a way better deal than the BSR. Thanks for the info.

Saba
26-02-04, 11:44 PM
Wow, I agree with you that $750 is a joke for around 4 bhp. Where did you hear about the 6-15 bhp gains for the Saab Sports exhaust? I thought that it just had a more aggressive tone. But if it does offer even a few ponies that is a way better deal than the BSR. Thanks for the info.Just anecdotal stuff on here. Mikej has a 2.0t with Saab Sports Exhaust and his was dynoed at 190bhp (rather than the 175bhp) and somebody posted an email from someone selling the Saab Sports Exhaust and they claimed it gave a 6hp gain. I also have the Saab Sports Exhaust and my dealer also claims that to. Although I have come to learn that my dealer doesn't know what he is talking about most of the time. :cheesy:

SaabAnimal
27-02-04, 01:15 AM
Saba, how's the exhaust note on the Saab Sport exhaust? Also, do you have the single or the dual tip(s)? That is mostly what I'm concerned about since a few bhp gain isn't going to make all that big of a difference...that's why you get the PPC! :D

CallipNCSUsaab
27-02-04, 05:50 AM
http://www.genuinesaab.com/detail.asp?product_id=B63-H this is the saab sport exhaust with dual tips, I could not find the single tipped one.

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?currency=USD&cPath=104_279_282&products_id=1533 This is the BSR exhaust.. looks the exact same, costs a little more. It states it is made of a combo of chrome steel and stainless steel, think it would rust easy?

Both are cat-back, I didnt see any "claims" as to how much horsepower/tone we would expect.

quick question.. I know these are cat back and what that means, but arent our pipes already 2.5'', so if you pay for a cat-back, what are you really getting, new pipes.. are they angled differently to be straighter and with the mendel (not spelled right I know) bending?

CrankCase
27-02-04, 09:26 AM
They're one and the same product, from the looks of it. The SAAB sport exhaust can be found in Saab Catalog (http://www.saabcatalog.com/retail/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=Saab+Catalog&category%5Fname=Drive+9395%3A9%2D3+Twin+Sport+Exha ust+System&Page=1)

The single tip one is here (http://www.saabcatalog.com/retail/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=Saab+Catalog&category%5Fname=Drive9395%3ASingle+Pipe+Sport+Exha ust&Page=1)

It's just a replacement muffler with dual tips. I'd be amazed if it can yield a 6-15hp increase!

CallipNCSUsaab
27-02-04, 10:20 AM
double post.

CallipNCSUsaab
27-02-04, 10:22 AM
see, this is where I get confused. you posed just mufflers.. i posted cat back exhausts and they are only like 200 more for instance with the saab sport cat back, the bsr is like 600 something dollars. When pics of them are side by side they look IDENTICAL in every way.. not sure if they are different? Does one just have BSRs name on it and other saab? I realize this is probably wrong, but someone let me know please, ha.

so, what is the difference in ordering JUST the muffler and ordering the cat-back, anyone know for sure? I assume its less bends in the pipes.. different bending... does it remove anything thats on the current exhaust like resonators or something?

I guess the main q. is what warrants the price hike for the catback over just a muffler swap, someone please help me. I feel like being irrational and getting something done ASAP:)

gotta love tax refund deposits :)

finklejag
27-02-04, 02:19 PM
The cat-back on Genuine SAAB is the BSR. That model is made for the Linear and Arc's without a body kit. Simon said BSR is coming out with a cat-back for the Aero soon.

The stock diameter piping on our cars is 2.25. So the BSR is 2.5 inches with a better flow thru muffler. You will probably see gains with the BSR over the SAAB sport exhaust muffler.

loebsta
27-02-04, 03:35 PM
I wrote to Saab Catalog in December regarding performance specs for the Sport Exhaust. They wrote back that it has a 5-7 HP increase over the standard exhaust for the Linear but did not provide any additional information (I posted this on an older thread). For any aftermarket suppliers out there reading this thread, please provide whatever performance specs and details you have :) A lot of us are basing our buying decisions on very scant information. More information=more customers :wink:

For me, I'd like to know what advatages the BSR has over the Sport Exhaust since it is $74 more expensive. Better performance? Better materials? Better warranty? Exhaust sound (subjective for sure)? etc. Thanks!

moz
27-02-04, 03:40 PM
As mentioned, the BSR is a full cat-back system, the Saab Sports Exhaust is nothing more than a muffler with different tips (afaik it's not even stainless steel). Just my 2 cents but it's certainly not worth the money IMHO.

I had a Magnaflow fitted and am very pleased with the looks and sound for the price, but am looking into getting a cat-back system fitted very soon. More room to breath, and I want to get the PPC upgrade soon too so it will help.

HTH

loebsta
27-02-04, 03:45 PM
Thanks Moz! So Saab Catalog is claiming a 5-7 HP increase with just a muffler and tips? Must be a heck of a muffler since it's still blowing through 2.25" pipes.

oslowley
27-02-04, 06:13 PM
the use of internal baffles is what helps reduce exhaust resonance, noise etc. if they remove them you get a throatier sound plus a more unrestricted exhaust flow, but 5-7hp seems a bit on the optimistic side, by the way I have a vector and installed the dual tip exhaust, different sound but no perceivable change in performance.

ChadJ99
01-03-04, 01:55 PM
What a minute... Isn't the SAAB Sprots muffler (the "single tipped" one shown on CrankCases' post) the "stock" muffler on the Aero model? It look exactly like the muffler on my 2004 Aero!!!
I see on the Catalog page that there is no "aero" option listed, only sedan Liner/Arc and Conv. Arc.

What do you think?

joshd2012
01-03-04, 02:00 PM
Yes. The Aero comes with the Saab Sports Exhaust as a standard feature. This is why I will be eager to see what BSR comes out with.

ChadJ99
01-03-04, 02:15 PM
OK..If that's the case..and SAAB claims a 6HP gain... Why don't they list the Aero Model with a higher HP rating than the ARC. Or did SAAB "do something" to the Aero engine to nulify the HP gain to keep the HP rating the same?
Seems like SAAB would awnt you to know that info, to justify the more expensive car.

The difference in MSRP from the stock ARC to Aero was $2500.
(SAAB Options pricing)
$1000 for 17in wheels
$699 Onstar
$466 Sports Muffler
$??? Sport suspension
$400 (approx) Metal Trim
That makes up for the differece in price!!!! It's like the suspension was free.

Seems like the Aero was a better deal then I thought.

While I'm thinking about it... Why do you think the Aero Automatic is $100 more then the Arc Auto. Isn't it the Same tranny? Did those 2 extra buttons on the steering wheel really cost $100?

ChadJ99
01-03-04, 02:21 PM
SO maybe I try and find a cat-back system w/o the muffler, and keep the SAAB muffler. I do like the oval tip.

Jet 9-3
01-03-04, 02:57 PM
While I'm thinking about it... Why do you think the Aero Automatic is $100 more then the Arc Auto. Isn't it the Same tranny? Did those 2 extra buttons on the steering wheel really cost $100?

Well, yeah, its an extra way to shift the car manually. You can still do it with the stick if you want, so it's in addition to, not in place of. So hooking up those butttons? $100 sounds right

ChadJ99
01-03-04, 11:51 PM
Thanks jet... I guess $100 isn't much. I love my Aero (although I like the placmentof the steering wheel shifters on the 9-5 better)

Back on track with this thread...

Exhaust... So the Saab Sports muffler claims 6-15hp? Is that written somewhere? Again I would have to ask, if (a BIG if) that claim is true...
why wouldn't/didn't Saab use it to market the Aero?

And is there any date on BSR's exhaust for the Aero?

Does any aftermarket parts company have a larger downpipe availible for the '04 Aero yet?

CrankCase
02-03-04, 12:55 AM
Nope. Seems that the only aftermarket exhaust you can buy right now that's dedicated to the 9-3SS is the BSR cat-back with the standard (ie. no cut-out) rear apron. The Magnaflow mufflers installed by some of the guys on this forum are universal fitments.

I'm also hoping that a full performance exhaust system - downpipe, sport-cat, cat-back - the works - is in the...err..pipeline! :x :x :cheesy:

Vector-SS
02-03-04, 01:04 AM
I thought the Cat-back exhaust provided by BSR is only for linears, not the vectors?

finklejag
02-03-04, 02:27 AM
I thought the Cat-back exhaust provided by BSR is only for linears, not the vectors?

The one out right now is. Its for the Linear and Arc. US and Canada models. The one for the Aero is due out soon. Ferrita has a cat-back for the Aero out right now.

http://www.nordictuning.biz/news/pic/93ss3s.jpg

moz
02-03-04, 02:55 AM
finkle: are you sure that the Ferrita works with the Aeros? I only ask because on the speedparts.se website it has the same designation as the BSR above it, so I was wondering.

http://www.speedparts.se/prod/sp_avg_93_03-.shtml

I will probably be getting the Ferrita pretty soon as long as it works with the Aero body kit without too much hassle and hopefully I can report back.

To everyone else wondering the Ferrita is nearly twice the price of the BSR system, how much better it is anyone's guess but I think it's generally better quality.

CrankCase
02-03-04, 03:47 AM
finkle: isn't the Ferrita cat=back for the previous model 9-3? Can you post the link to the Ferrita 9-3 cat-back please, thanks :lol: :lol:

finklejag
02-03-04, 04:10 AM
I will probably be getting the Ferrita pretty soon as long as it works with the Aero body kit

The picture says a thousand words. :wink: I don't know why Speedparts has that on their site. They are way over priced for it anyway. I talked to Magnus Uhr at Nordic about it. 93ssaero has the Ferrita on his car. He said Ferrtia's are hand made, this is why they are more money. The BSR is a great exhaust, but not up to par as the Ferrita.

finkle: isn't the Ferrita cat=back for the previous model 9-3? Can you post the link to the Ferrita 9-3 cat-back please, thanks

Ferrita makes exhaust for all makes. The picture I posted is the one for the SS.

Nordic Tuning (www.nordictuning.com)

Johnken
02-03-04, 07:30 AM
The saab exhaust on the covered models, Arc & Linear is the same as on the aero and their OEM Sport Exhaust regarding performance. The difference is the muffler and the Silencer which is designed for a more powerfull sound, not better flow. NO PERFORMANCE GAIN!!

If you were to mount the BSR cat-back sport exhaust on an Aero you would be able to get the same hp-gain as on an linear or arc, 4 hp.

It's not that it won't fit the 210 hp engine, it's just that it doesn't fit the Exteriorpackage with visable exhaustpipe, thus you can mount it on an Arc (210 hp).

Johnken
02-03-04, 08:12 AM
Ferrita Cat-Back for SS

http://www.ferrita.se/pdf/prislista.pdf

Partno: SAK 60060S
Price: 7495 SEK, about 1000$ + shipping

moz
02-03-04, 11:48 AM
EDIT: I talked to someone at Nordic directly like finkle said and their system does indeed fit the 9-3 aero / cars with body kits.

I will be getting one very soon.

ChadJ99
02-03-04, 12:42 PM
moz, what is the cost?

Perhap we can order them at the same time, and get a break on the price/and or shipping?

finklejag
02-03-04, 01:33 PM
The last time I talked to them. It was $600.00 + $180.00 for shipping. I don't know where the the $ stands against the Kronor. Nordic was $400.00 cheaper then some other places. Maybe they get a better deal because Ferrita is one of their sponsors?

loebsta
02-03-04, 02:45 PM
Question for those with the BSR (or Magnaflow) on their Linear or Arc, does the low muffler/tip have any clearance problems when going up or backing out of steep driveways? I'd prefer not to bother with the Decor Kit but don't want to scrape up the muffler either.

moz
02-03-04, 02:47 PM
Question for those with the BSR (or Magnaflow) on their Linear or Arc, does the low muffler/tip have any clearance problems when going up or backing out of steep driveways? I'd prefer not to bother with the Decor Kit but don't want to scrape up the muffler either.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but noone here seems to have either cat-back system installed on their SS yet. With the exception of 93ssaero who has the Ferrita.

I am almost certainly getting the Ferrita very soon. I was set on getting 18s/tires but I am going to go this route and the PPC instead. The wheels can wait a while :)

joshd2012
02-03-04, 04:34 PM
Does anyone know if these are reversed engineered or not? I want to do the install myself (if possible) and want a simple replacement. The thing that worries me about the Ferrita being hand made, is that it won't match up exactly with the existing system. If the BSR is reversed engineered, I can simply remove the current exhaust and put on the new one using the existing mounts.

So, does anyone know if these are reverse engineered?

Simon
02-03-04, 05:55 PM
The last time I talked to them. It was $600.00 + $180.00 for shipping. I don't know where the the $ stands against the Kronor. Nordic was $400.00 cheaper then some other places. Maybe they get a better deal because Ferrita is one of their sponsors?

The guy who owns Ferrita also owns a large share of Nordic :D

Cattivo
02-03-04, 10:38 PM
Has anybody done any research on Turbo-back exhausts?

finklejag
02-03-04, 10:53 PM
Nobody has a downpipe for the SS yet. It will probably take another 6-12 months for one of the companies to come out with one. Alot more R&D has to go into the downpipe and cat then a cat-back exhaust.