SaabCentral Forums banner

Where will the parts come from?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Missileman 
#1 ·
Hi, new guy here. Thanks to all of you for helpful info! I'm very close to buying a new 9-5. I love the car and the 30% discount is nice too. And, thanks to 3rd parties, I am not concerned about a warranty.

What does have me concerned is parts. I'm holding out hope that somebody buys Saab. That seems to be likely. But if not, what happens in three years if I get rear ended and need a new bumper and light assembly? Will there be parts? Does anyone know?

#2 ·
I agree on the NG 9-5, not sure where they will come from. I have considered selling or trading in my 2010 9-5 (obviously at quite a loss), because I travel so often and too some remote areas, where I can not afford to be stranded or can not afford to be without a car waiting for some part.

Last year the heating element on the driver's seat went bad and their was a long delay on that part. They ended up taking it from another NG 9-5 they had in stock. And that was a delay, when Saab was still around.... Obviously a heated seat has nothing to do about being stranded, but just an example of the parts shortage for the NG 9-5

Absolutely love the car though!

#3 ·
I don't think anyone can say for SURE right now what the parts situation will be over the long term, but I do think being left completely high & dry is very unlikely.

First, from what I read, the SAAB parts business in Sweden is not only solvent, it's up and running. It's been taken over by their government and is both producing parts and shipping parts and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. It's a profitable business and a "going concern."

In the USA, importers and manufacturers have a legal responsibility to provide parts availability for at least ten years. Now, here's the problem. SAAB USA has decided to go belly up therefore there is no "importer" to fulfill that responsibility. Something will fill that void ... perhaps GM will take pity on us or some other third party that wants to make money will strike a deal with SAAB Parts in Sweden. Perhaps our mechanics/dealers will need to order directly from Sweden. One way or another, it will work out.

Then again, the most likely scenario is someone buys all of SAAB and restarts all of the support infrastructure in the USA. (And, no - I don't think the new owners would abandon us completely, it would be a PR, and prossibly a legal, nightmare for them).

Finally, if you look around your shiny new "SAAB" you will notice a heck of a lot of GM logo parts. One way or another, a lot of those parts can be sourced through non-SAAB sources - for example, some of them will be available at your local Buick or Cadillac dealer. It may take some ingenuity to figure it all out, but it will work.

I look at it this way ... there are probably about the same number of 2010/2011 9.5 drivers around the USA as there are 2010/2011 Ferrari or Bentley owners. If I'm cruising down the road in Billings, Montana, and my Bentley dies ... I'm on a flat bed for hundreds of miles. In my 9.5, I'm off to the local Buick or Caddy dealer and I'll bet some resourceful mechanic will figure out a way to get me back on the road!!

Cheers!!

Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.