Anyone fitted a road holding kit? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Anyone fitted a road holding kit?

mickey g
21st February 2004, 02:03 PM
Has anyone fitted the road holding kit for the 95 from parts for saabs. If so is it any good?

Cheers

andy1
23rd February 2004, 06:41 PM
Had the kit fitted this week, very pleased, car seems firmer but not hard, better cornering with less body roll. I was worried about loosing the comfort with anything harder or lower.

Hope this helps

bill moffat
24th February 2004, 01:46 PM
See Simon's account of his Koni equipped 9 5. I've gone down the same route with the adjustable Koni/lowering springs combination allied to poly bushes also.

The car is transformed and I can now corner with greater confidence (and speed).The previous rear end wander (9-5s are prone to premature wear of their rear shocks) has disappeared and I'm a very happy man.

The added bonus is that the car now "sits" very purposefully on its 17" alloys and gathers much favourable comment. Go for it !

Chris 9-5
19th March 2004, 02:09 PM
I have the Saab Roadholding Kit fitted too! Very pleased, a better more composed ride but still comfortable, and with less drop than an after market kit. I'm sure the inclusion of the front and rear upgraded anti roll bars help too. The bonus is the kit is Saab, and painted black and looks standard, if you see my point :wink:

mickey g
23rd March 2004, 05:09 AM
Im going to order it soon and see what happens.
cheers guys

3PinFever
27th March 2004, 01:08 PM
Would I order this through a dealer?

Simon
28th March 2004, 09:15 AM
You could get it through a dealer or here...

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/default.php?cPath=2_189_207

Mattlach
2nd April 2004, 11:40 AM
You could get it through a dealer or here...

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/default.php?cPath=2_189_207

I know that the Aero suspension is already firmer than the standard 9-5's. Will this kit benefit the Aero as well, or am I better off leaving the Aero suspension untouched?

Oh.. And how manu standard labor hours should it be to have this installed?

Thanks,
Matt

Simon
2nd April 2004, 01:12 PM
This kit is effectively the Aero suspension set up. Book time is around 4 hours.

Mattlach
2nd April 2004, 03:27 PM
This kit is effectively the Aero suspension set up. Book time is around 4 hours.

Ok, So there would be no point in doing this on an Aero, correct?

The reason I ask is that my 2001 Aero doesnt feel as "tight" on hard corenring as I'd like...

Simon
2nd April 2004, 04:30 PM
Probably not, but I know someone who recently fitted a Koni kit to their 9-5 Aero and were very impressed with the improvement.

Mattlach
2nd April 2004, 06:11 PM
Probably not, but I know someone who recently fitted a Koni kit to their 9-5 Aero and were very impressed with the improvement.

Interesting.

Where can I find more information on this KONI kit?

Thanks,
Matt

3PinFever
13th April 2004, 02:34 PM
Would an 04 arc benefit from uprated springs , dampeners , and sway bars? Which parts on an 04 may already be aero rated?

Simon
13th April 2004, 03:12 PM

Interesting.

Where can I find more information on this KONI kit?

Thanks,
Matt

www.partsforsaabs.com

nengland
22nd April 2004, 01:09 PM
I have the Saab Roadholding Kit fitted too! Very pleased, a better more composed ride but still comfortable, and with less drop than an after market kit. I'm sure the inclusion of the front and rear upgraded anti roll bars help too. The bonus is the kit is Saab, and painted black and looks standard, if you see my point :wink:

Very cool. :)

Parts for Saabs (http://www.partsforsaabs.com/default.php?cPath=2_189_207) lists four different kits and now I'm confused. My Saab is a '99 9-5 SE... What's a Saloon/Estate? There's both an A and B kit?

Sorry in advance for the overly simplistic question...

Simon
22nd April 2004, 01:15 PM
Sedan = Saloon
Wagon = Estate

Which kit you choose depends on your cars current strut code which can be found on the VIN plate.

nengland
22nd April 2004, 01:18 PM
And a simple answer! Thanks Simon :D

-neil

Maverickvii
23rd April 2004, 01:32 AM
mattlach,
Since you're from the US SHOX.COM might be a better,or at least easier source for the Konis than Partsforsaabs.com.
They also have a wide variety of good shock/spring packages for decent prices.

Mattlach
28th April 2004, 04:04 PM
mattlach,
Since you're from the US SHOX.COM might be a better,or at least easier source for the Konis than Partsforsaabs.com.
They also have a wide variety of good shock/spring packages for decent prices.

Thank you very much. I'll have to look into them!

dip
17th June 2004, 12:27 AM
In case anyone's still interested, here's the contents of the roadholding kit. It consists of the current production Aero parts -- springs, dampers, anti-roll bars, new lock nuts, bushings and other misc parts (plus the upper strut mounts in the top left corner of the picture, I ordered those separately). The cost from a Saab dealer was approximately $550 US.
http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/20040616.Saab_9-5_Roadholding_Kit/20040616a.The_Kit.jpg

thxguy
13th January 2008, 08:22 PM
In case anyone's still interested, here's the contents of the roadholding kit. It consists of the current production Aero parts -- springs, dampers, anti-roll bars, new lock nuts, bushings and other misc parts (plus the upper strut mounts in the top left corner of the picture, I ordered those separately). The cost from a Saab dealer was approximately $550 US.
http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/20040616.Saab_9-5_Roadholding_Kit/20040616a.The_Kit.jpg

I have been looking into this as well- did you get it from a dealer in Toronto? If so would you mind letting me know which one?
THanks-

MacNoob
13th January 2008, 10:35 PM

Actually I believe they are 2001 spec Aero parts - if you have a newer Arc you already have this; if you have a newer Aero you already have better!

thxguy
14th January 2008, 09:52 AM
Actually I believe they are 2001 spec Aero parts - if you have a newer Arc you already have this; if you have a newer Aero you already have better!

So, I have a 2003 Linear ? I think that means not this kit??

stipud
14th January 2008, 11:41 AM
Did the Arcs get the Aero suspension as well? I thought they still retained the wallowy base-model setup.

MacNoob
14th January 2008, 11:55 AM
So, I have a 2003 Linear ? I think that means not this kit??

Right, 2002 and newer have completely different suspensions. Even shocks and things are different. (This is what I understand from reading here.... since I have an '01 I of course have no personal experience with this one). The Saab Roadholding Kit/Saab Sport Chassis Kit (same thing) upgrades 99-01 non-Aero cars to '01 Aero specs.

Saab sport chassis @ Genuinesaab.com:

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_51&products_id=359

MacNoob
14th January 2008, 12:02 PM
Did the Arcs get the Aero suspension as well? I thought they still retained the wallowy base-model setup.

My understanding is that newer Arcs (2002+) got essentially the 2001 Aero suspension treatment, while the Aero in '02 went one step stiffer.

The Genuinesaab upgrade sway bar kit implies that at least the sway bars worked this way:

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_51&products_id=47

Reading that, even the Linears got '01 spec Aero sway bars that year. Can't tell anything about the springs.

stipud
14th January 2008, 12:30 PM
I think they just upped the Aero ARB size, and gave the former Aero ARBs to the LPT suspension. The struts were also changed to incorporate a longer arm for the anti-roll bar end links, needed to clear the bigger hubs in '02. Other than that I don't think anything drastic was changed.

MacNoob
14th January 2008, 12:41 PM
I think they just upped the Aero ARB size, and gave the former Aero ARBs to the LPT suspension. The struts were also changed to incorporate a longer arm for the anti-roll bar end links, needed to clear the bigger hubs in '02. Other than that I don't think anything drastic was changed.

Lots of little things....

http://saabnet.com/tsn/models/2002/pr8.html

HonzaSaab95
20th December 2008, 10:11 PM
I have recently taken an interest in fitting this to my 03.

'Talked to the dealer and there are apparently 2 variants of the kit:

One costs ~$650 CDN
The other is ~$940 CDN.

'Dealer's parts guy says version depends on what struts my car has.

I am going to check the appropriate plate on the car.

Anyone else have experience putting this kit on a newer than '01 car?

Raven18940
21st December 2008, 08:36 AM
I've driven an 03 aero, it's pretty good. If you want more sporty, it's ok, but it's better with Bilstein's on it.

HonzaSaab95
21st December 2008, 10:08 AM
My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that what Bilstein offers is not as comprehensive an upgrade as the roadholding kit - i.e. the roadholding kit replaces more parts.

Maybe this is a too simplistic way of looking at this?

MacNoob
21st December 2008, 11:10 AM
Unless you're talking about a completely different 'roadholding kit' that I'm not aware of, the install of the Saab Sport Chassis Kit (aka Roadholding Kit) would be a downgrade for you. The Saab Sport Chassis upgrades a pre-02 LPT to '01 Aero specs, and won't even fit on an '02+ car due to all the suspension upgrades that your '03 already has.

I installed it on my '01 wagon with mixed results. The shocks that came with it are complete crap, I replaced them after a year. My rear ride height was low enough that I added 1cm spring spacers to bring it back to something reasonable. It's still too soft on the rear but better than the LPT suspension was.

djrpowell
21st December 2008, 11:57 AM
My vector sport was bought due to aero suspension but cheapness of other cars!

Also my arc is much better with 17" wheels. to be fair although not impressive on the corners at speed but its a great balance of comfort v handling. I really enjoy the ride on this car now but give the estate vector sport the thrash around if I want a more sporty drive.

HonzaSaab95
21st December 2008, 06:30 PM
Unless you're talking about a completely different 'roadholding kit' that I'm not aware of, the install of the Saab Sport Chassis Kit (aka Roadholding Kit) would be a downgrade for you. The Saab Sport Chassis upgrades a pre-02 LPT to '01 Aero specs, and won't even fit on an '02+ car due to all the suspension upgrades that your '03 already has.

From my research on the web, there are two variants of this kit out there - one for the pre '02 cars and one for the post '02 cars.

My Linear's suspension is pretty darn soft so almost anything would be an improvement at this point.

BTW, I bought the car knowing full well what I was getting - it belonged to a friend of mine and he turned it back from a lease. I got a sweet deal so I am not too concerned about spending a few $$ to get the suspension (and other bits) up to my liking.

Jssaab
21st December 2008, 07:47 PM
From my research on the web, there are two variants of this kit out there - one for the pre '02 cars and one for the post '02 cars.

My Linear's suspension is pretty darn soft so almost anything would be an improvement at this point.

BTW, I bought the car knowing full well what I was getting - it belonged to a friend of mine and he turned it back from a lease. I got a sweet deal so I am not too concerned about spending a few $$ to get the suspension (and other bits) up to my liking.

I have a roadholding kit on my 00 LPT 9-5 The Kit comes with front and rear sways. As you have heard here the newer cars share more compnents so I think the shocks and sways may be the same check the epc to see.

I would, as others are recomending, just buy better sways ( if the newer ones are even any diferent at all from Saab and upgrade to Eibach springs and bilsten shocks...

I think what you need is this:

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_51&products_id=47

SaabBlackMan
22nd December 2008, 10:58 PM
The kit is cheaper on http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/Home.aspx (http://www.eeuropart.com)