SaabCentral Forums banner

Falling in love with the new 9-5

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Imspace2 
#1 ·
So, I have owned a 2003 saab 9-3 for 6 years now and absolutely love the car. However, I have 165,000 miles on the car and other than a little leaking oil and 6-disc cd changer that my 2 year old daughter thought was a piggy bank (yep she pushed a penny in there as hard as she could :) the car has been amazing. I am thinking about trying to sell my 9-3 and purchase a new 2010/11 9-5. My question is, what kind of incentives are out there for saab owners and would it be better for me to trade in my 9-3 instead of selling it myself? Are there certain models that are better for the $$$. Obviously, I'd like to have the fully loaded aero with nav/dvd, but I haven't been able to find one for less than 40k and that one is on ebay. Wow, these things are hard to find!!!!

#4 ·
I fell in love with the new 9-5 Aero this past November when I drove one at a local dealer here in the Twin Cities. I loved the power of the v-6 and wanted the xwd for Minnesota's winters. I was watching the prices pre-banruptcy closely to try to find a deal I could live with. Fortunately, post bankruptcy I found a dealer near you in Green Bay that was liquidating its Saab inventory. I picked up a 2011 Saab 9-5 Aero with 222 miles, upgraded stereo and ventilated seats for about 40% below msrp. I knew the inventory would sell out fast and made arrangements to get to Green Bay just a few days after finding the liquidation. By the time I got there, the car I bought was the only remaining one and the dealer was willing to hold it for me until I got there. I also followed a liquidation of a dealership in Ohio and New Hampshire that was offering similar discounts and their inventory went equally as quick. I guess the moral is to check cars.com daily and be willing to travel on very short notice. If you've aready test drove the 9-5 and are certain of what you want, you could purchase a vehicle and have it shipped to you if you find a deal you can live with. Before I bought the car I did, I was talking to True Saab in the Chicago area about a couple of used 2010 9-5 Aeros and could have had one of the cars shipped to me in the twin cities for $350.00. True Saab still has the used 2010 9-5 Aeros with low miles and now has them below $29,000.00. There is a dealer in the Brainerd MN area that has a 2011 Turbo 6 in java metallic with about 3,000 miles. This car has nav and the technology package. They're asking about $30,000.00. Good luck in your quest. The new 9-5 is an amazing car and I absolutely love to drive it!

#5 ·
I have a 2010 and am extremely proud to drive it every day. There are a few things the 2011 Aero has that would be very nice and might be worth considering. A lot of people will mention the sunroof -- I actually don't care much about that. I would like the remote start and the proximity unlock which is where the car auto unlocks when it senses the remote very nearby. This could be turned off too. Also, I believe the 2011 has better integration with OnStar which may include remote start via a smart phone. Not sure about that except my 2011 9-4x has it.

Remote start is not available anywhere for the 2010. If anyone has figured that one out, LET ME KNOW.

By the way, I bought mine from True Saab. TS hadn't really changed their pricing when I checked a couple weeks ago, or I would have bought their white 9-4x from the showroom -- they still seemed to think they could get much more for it. I hope they're right.

PL

#6 ·
Just point of reference My '11 9-5 cannot be started with the Onstar smart phone. App said it won't work with the9-5.

But the proximity unlocking and remote start from the fob is a nice feature. There is a setup for having the seats heat or cool with a remote start but that doesn't work on mine, however, despite being set that way.

#7 · (Edited)
Just point of reference My '11 9-5 cannot be started with the Onstar smart phone. App said it won't work with the9-5.

But the proximity unlocking and remote start from the fob is a nice feature. There is a setup for having the seats heat or cool with a remote start but that doesn't work on mine, however, despite being set that way.
Ah, interesting. I just activated the 9-4x and found that it does not work with the smart phone app - at least that's what the app says. It's hard to figure out because OnStar still acts like it only works on GM-only vehicles. The reason the remote start app is appealing to me is because we added aftermarket remote start to a 9-7x we had and the remote would provide feedback on a successful start - you didn't need to see the car to confirm.

Also, I could never figure out why my 2009 9-3 would automatically turn on the seat heater based on outside temperature but the 9-5 does not. Seemed like a great feature. 9-4x doesn't do it either.

PL

#9 ·
2010-11 9-5 or 9-3?

I used to use autotrader.com but I find for new cars cars.com to be more complete.

I was anticipating buying a used SAAB in the next few months. I currently have a 2004 9-3 Aero SS. I am interested in the 9-5 because I love the looks. Sure, I'd like an Aero 9-5 but since I can see 9-5 Turbo 4s for around $26K I actually can consider it over a 9-3 for $22 (SS)-24K (Combi). Seems like a no brainer compared to a 2008 9-3 SS for $11-13K.

Question to you 2010-2011 9-5 owners, especially if any of you have had a 9-3 2.0T before. Does the Turbo 4 move the much heavier 9-5 adequately? Does it handle like anything close to a 9-3? I last drove a 9-5 in late 2004 ( a 2005 9-5). It felt more like a big US car than a SAAB. I am sure the one or two redesigns since then have improved the breed but I shudder when I hear the 9-5 is built on a Buick Lacrosse platform.

My wife recently got a Honda Crosstour which has really good interior space including the backseat and it has a hatch. So I can get by with a 9-3 as i don't need the space as much.

Also, everyone on the 9-3 SS forum is concerned about part availability. I'm not so much for 9-3 since the it has been in produciton since 2003 with little change. Are you worried about this part avaiability for the 2010-11 9-5 as it has been in production so short a timme with few sold?

#10 ·
I Are you worried about this part avaiability for the 2010-11 9-5 as it has been in production so short a timme with few sold?
In a word....yes. My car has been waiting on a rear windshield (defroster issue) for over 3 months - that's back when I had a warranty, now I think it will be waiting for forever.

As for 4 or 6 cylinder, I didn't like the wood interior trim on the 4 cylinders I looked at and if I was going to get the 4 cylinder I'd also want the stick shift. The 6 is adequate but I can imagine a 4 will have to be worked in order to get the car to really move, a stick would make that much more fun. In fact I'd love a stick on the 6 cylinder AWD but...well that's not going to materialize.

The 9-5 AWD Aero handles as good or better than my 9-3 Aero convertible, especially in sport mode. The car really carries its heft very well, but the Aero has a different suspension setup than the 4 cylinder so I can't say how the FWD 4 is.

There are lots of reviews online of the 9-5 in various configurations. Google is your friend.

#11 ·
I moved from an '03 9-3 Vector to a new 9-5 Turbo4 Premium about 3 weeks ago. My new one is 6 speed manual.

Yes, the feel is different then the 9-3. Much smoother ride. Much quieter. It doesn't feel like it is going as fast, but then I look down and don't realize how fast I am really going (due to the ride).

Note -- I did the Hirsch upgrade, and so now it is 260HP, and the torque at lower RPM's is very nice.

Is it as sporty as the 9-3? No. But it is a much more refined car then the one I had before, and have zero regrets about it (Well, maybe 2 small ones: I really wanted Nav, and prices have dropped a bit since I bought).

#12 ·
I just got a black 2011 turbo4 premium with 6spd manual, tech, and nav. It is black on black and completely gorgeous ... I love it! Also got the Hirsch upgrade, rubber mats, and mud flaps. Buying the car was bittersweet. The dealership was so empty and quiet. All the employees seemed subdued. It was all kinda sad.

Sure hope nothing breaks. And, please let the Chinese buy Saab. And how the f**k can Sweden allow this to happen?

On the fence about the 3rd party warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.