New to me 86 900, Help its a Slug! [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: New to me 86 900, Help its a Slug!

nozzlenut77
22nd May 2002, 11:01 PM
I have just got this beast and it moves like a slug. Its a 2.0L, no turbo, four door, trunk, and a 3 speed automatic with only 52k miles on the clock. What simple mod can I do to give a little boost to the power output. I have a budget and a wife, that should tell you how small the budget is.

Smackrazor
22nd May 2002, 11:51 PM
Sell it quickly and get a manual turbo.

bohtak
23rd May 2002, 03:39 AM
hahaha.. good one smackrazor.
nozzle their plenty of options there. is either you want to stick to NA or turbo. For the NA, cams, valves springs, throttle body, intake manifold are just some parts where would be able to get you 20 -30 hp. for me..Im currently driving the 8 valver twin carbs, and the power sucks. well would be transplating the 900 LPT engine in August. and it'll be tweaked.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bohtak on May 23, 2002 7:40am ]</font>

93Saab900s
23rd May 2002, 09:00 PM
with that low of milage, i would keep it. i would say that adding turbo and maybe some mods at http://www.saabperformanceparts.com would get it goin. I would also reccommend transferring over to manual, but that would be expensive

Smackrazor
23rd May 2002, 09:06 PM
Actually if you convert to manual yourself it wouldn't be too expensive, just the price of the manual tranny (probably around $600). you just need to find a shop willing to lend you tools or else you could rent the equipment at Kragen (or whatever else that store is called on the east coast).

nozzlenut77
23rd May 2002, 11:54 PM
Thanks to you that replied. I know the turbo manual is more powerful. My other car is a VW Passat with the 1.8l TURBO. I wish this 86 900 had one. I figure I will start with the intake side (K&amp;N style filter) then move to the Exhaust side. The tranny is the vacuum of power, but we won't be adressing that unless it starts to fail since the hole engine will need to be pulled. Saab seems to design things a little different than other European manufacturers. I had to replace the water pump in February, it is like everything is backwards on the Saab.
Thanks again for the posts....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nozzlenut77 on May 24, 2002 3:56am ]</font>

Eric van Spelde
24th May 2002, 10:40 AM
No, no, no, you got it all wrong. Everything is in backwards on all the other cars... :wink:

But seriously, those with manual transmissions will bless the Saab engineers the day they need their clutch repaired or replaced (even I can get it out in 30 mins).