Vent to atmosphere [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Vent to atmosphere

socal1200r
18-12-11, 10:56 PM
So who makes a blow-off valve for our cars that vents excess boost to atmosphere, instead of recirculating it? Asked this question in a couple of other threads, but no response.

gustavm
18-12-11, 11:05 PM
The bosch one will vent to atmosphere if you want . Would that messup the air mass sensor though? Ive been debating this simply because the rubber elbow just after the turbo is in a sad state, much easier to fabricate without the BOV hole .

dmgb5
18-12-11, 11:24 PM
No one in particular does. You could use a universal one if you wanted. Be aware that a BOV can cause stalling and drivability problems on cars that use a MAF... such as the Bosch LH system.

1quickbeater
19-12-11, 10:54 AM
I second that. I'm running an HKS BOV currently. Sounds and looks great but on the very first drive nearly stalled every time I let off the gas(shifting coasting etc). Sometimes completely stall Which was embarrassing . Give it a try if you want but without a T5 conversion and a few other upgrades its not easy running a BOV correctly. I'm about to go back to my Bosch DV just for drivability.

nickid
28-12-11, 05:13 PM
U need a twin piston dump valve. Been running them on cars for years and yes they sound great but the after market ones to replace the bosh are better. They close and open sharp between gears

socal1200r
28-12-11, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the replies. Guess that's an idea I'll move way down on my wish list for my '91 T16 'vert. I've got other things I can do to her that will make her more confortable as a sunny day driver (i.e. getting the power seat tilt back cables replaced). Will probably put that after new tires too (215/60-15s), we'll see...I just thought that "ppsssshhhh" sound was cool when I had the Mopar BOV on my SRT-4.

If it's not a simple bolt-on to achieve the same thing with my T16, then I probably won't end up doing it, especially if it affects the driveability.

wbrook_ford
28-12-11, 09:28 PM
I bought the saab site aluminum recirculating diverter valve, and with the open filter on the MAF, it whistles and hoots like a beast! :cheesy:

socal1200r
29-12-11, 12:20 AM
I bought the saab site aluminum recirculating diverter valve, and with the open filter on the MAF, it whistles and hoots like a beast! :cheesy:

Any chance you have weblinks and/or part numbers for these things? Pics of them on your car would help too!

Thanks

robcourson1
29-12-11, 10:35 AM
http://www.thesaabsite.com/900old/c900turbo.htm

socal1200r
29-12-11, 03:44 PM
http://www.thesaabsite.com/900old/c900turbo.htm

So which one out of the three listed did you buy? Looks like the after-market part has two large and one small hose fitting? If the stock one has the same number/type of hose fittings, how does the after-market one vent to atmosphere? Was yours a simple direct bolt-on, or did you have to get new hoses, clamps, etc? How did it run after you put it on? Could you tell any difference, other than the sound? I'm hesitant to install anything that will make the car run worse than before, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda thing...

wbrook_ford
29-12-11, 04:24 PM
So which one out of the three listed did you buy? Looks like the after-market part has two large and one small hose fitting? If the stock one has the same number/type of hose fittings, how does the after-market one vent to atmosphere? Was yours a simple direct bolt-on, or did you have to get new hoses, clamps, etc? How did it run after you put it on? Could you tell any difference, other than the sound? I'm hesitant to install anything that will make the car run worse than before, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda thing...

The shiny aftermarket one is a direct replacement for the black plastic ones. It doesn't vent to atmosphere but it does make the distinctive pssh at shift, due to the different springs and valve.
Since it opperates the same as the old one it won't hurt your car at all.
It might make it run slightly better if your old valve was worn out, though!

socal1200r
29-12-11, 08:56 PM
The shiny aftermarket one is a direct replacement for the black plastic ones. It doesn't vent to atmosphere but it does make the distinctive pssh at shift, due to the different springs and valve.
Since it opperates the same as the old one it won't hurt your car at all.
It might make it run slightly better if your old valve was worn out, though!

Cool, that's what I wanted to know...so you're talking about the $99 one, yes? Looks like the other two are plastic, one an OEM part and the other aftermarket, so the $99 metal one is the one you're talking about?

wbrook_ford
29-12-11, 09:09 PM
Cool, that's what I wanted to know...so you're talking about the $99 one, yes? Looks like the other two are plastic, one an OEM part and the other aftermarket, so the $99 metal one is the one you're talking about?

Yep that's it