Intercoolers? what size and so on ? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Intercoolers? what size and so on ?

DavisJ
13-12-11, 02:34 PM
im looking into getting an intercooler just wondering size i have an 02 9-5 aero ive found some many good deals just not sure on size would this work?

Overall Size
28" x 7.5" x 2.5"
Core Size
20.5" x 6.25" x 2.25"
Inlet/Outlet
2.5"

if not please let me know your thoughts thank you

ctown95
13-12-11, 02:42 PM
That size works pretty well from what ive heard

ji5mmy
13-12-11, 03:52 PM
That size will work fine. You will have to be careful about bottoming it out because it will sit a bit lower than the bottom of your front lip. Generally it is that size or 28x5.5x2.5.

I would recommend using 2" piping though, as the 2.5" is a tight squeeze in places. At least it was for me.

SaabNineThree
13-12-11, 04:56 PM
its a perfect fit but i have a 7'' and it sticks out drastically even with an aero lip you can see the bottom of the fmic..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/Avenger01/IMG-20111103-00058.jpg

Custom bracket

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/Avenger01/IMG-20111103-00057.jpg

DavisJ
14-12-11, 10:27 AM
That looks pretty awesome tho, I might just have to find something 6" or lower don't really wanna see it stick out abit lol and only reason i was going to go with the size below, i can get a brand new Mishimoto Z line for 100 on clearance lol (do you have any other pics?)

Overall Size
28" x 7.5" x 2.5"
Core Size
20.5" x 6.25" x 2.25"
Inlet/Outlet
2.5"

nathanthepilot
14-12-11, 12:22 PM
So has anyone ever measured out to find what the maximum dimensions that would work are? Is the general consensus that 2.5" piping works the best? I've seen a lot of intercoolers on eBay. Are they all about the same, or would some work better than others due to mounting, shape, included pipes, etc.
@saabninethree: Was that a custom mounting bracket? If so, how would one make something up without any welding equip? I suppose I could ask my neighbor to help out.
I vote to make one of these threads about intercoolers a sticky (Kermit are you lurking?). There needs to be something on the performance/tuning sticky about how to DIY an intercooler. ;ol;

SaabNineThree
14-12-11, 03:59 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/Avenger01/Pics/fmic4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/Avenger01/Pics/fmic2.jpg

Saab 9-5 Aero FMIC - YouTube

Video lol posted this a billion times

nathanthepilot
14-12-11, 04:44 PM
So is a metal bracket required for the instal?

ji5mmy
14-12-11, 05:19 PM
Ivanwakeup had a fairly detailed FMIC DIY thread that is on here. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173704

For the most part, people make custom brackets, or just drill into the crash bumper to install a FMIC. Facelifted models require not only drilling into the bottom of the crash bumper, but also cutting a hole in the front to be able to place the bolts. A dremel made quick work of it for me.

As far as size, 28x5.5x2.5 seems to be the most common. As saabninethree said, a 7.5 will show below an aero lip, and you run the risk of bottoming out and ripping off the FMIC. The 28x5.5x2.5 worked plenty well for me, keeping intake temps roughly 10C above amibent air over the summer, which happened to be in 117F Phoenix weather.

As far as piping sizing is concerned, people have made 2.5" and 2" work. Note, the turbo and delivery pipe are both 2", so if you do 2.5" piping you need reducing couplers. I started with 2.5" and then went to 2" piping because it was easier to route (aka more clearance in the tight spaces).

SaabNineThree
14-12-11, 08:37 PM
So is a metal bracket required for the instal?

Nope but it makes it way better, the first time i installed my fmic ( bottom snow pics) i used metal wire to hold the fmic it was really ghetto...

So has anyone ever measured out to find what the maximum dimensions that would work are? Is the general consensus that 2.5" piping works the best? I've seen a lot of intercoolers on eBay. Are they all about the same, or would some work better than others due to mounting, shape, included pipes, etc.
@saabninethree: Was that a custom mounting bracket? If so, how would one make something up without any welding equip? I suppose I could ask my neighbor to help out.
I vote to make one of these threads about intercoolers a sticky (Kermit are you lurking?). There needs to be something on the performance/tuning sticky about how to DIY an intercooler. ;ol;

Yes i bought two L shape brackets ( $3 ) with holes in them as seen in the bottom pic then i got my dad to weld the l to a straight metal piece and then we had to re drill the holes a little so they lined up perfectly then the hard part is drilling through the bumper support, also for the bracket to fit flush against the bumper support you need to cut off half of the horn bracket ( the bottom bit that has no screw holding it just a tab it had no effect on the strength of the horn bracket, you can see this in the second pic) also you need to cut off the rest of the bracket you make.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/Avenger01/IMG-20111103-00055.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/Avenger01/IMG-20111103-00063.jpg

I used a long screw plus a bunch of washers to perfectly seat the fmic as far back as i could and with this set up it was still solid. i used some holes that where already in the bumper support from factory but they sit very low so re drilling higher ones is a must.

Hope this helps. :) it takes a lot of time to do it correctly ive had the bumper off 2 times just to mount the fmic i still have not connect the intercooler yet i have just been really lazy..

SaabNineThree
14-12-11, 08:56 PM
Ivanwakeup had a fairly detailed FMIC DIY thread that is on here. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173704

For the most part, people make custom brackets, or just drill into the crash bumper to install a FMIC. Facelifted models require not only drilling into the bottom of the crash bumper, but also cutting a hole in the front to be able to place the bolts. A dremel made quick work of it for me.

As far as size, 28x5.5x2.5 seems to be the most common. As saabninethree said, a 7.5 will show below an aero lip, and you run the risk of bottoming out and ripping off the FMIC. The 28x5.5x2.5 worked plenty well for me, keeping intake temps roughly 10C cooler than amibent air over the summer, which happened to be in 117F Phoenix weather.

As far as piping sizing is concerned, people have made 2.5" and 2" work. Note, the turbo and delivery pipe are both 2", so if you do 2.5" piping you need reducing couplers. I started with 2.5" and then went to 2" piping because it was easier to route (aka more clearance in the tight spaces).

This pretty much sums it up very well, the inlet pipe from the turbo is 2.0 or 2.25 i don't remember exactly, depends how your running the piping on the left side. right side you can just jam 90 degree 2.5'' pipe right into the stock fmic rubber hose and ring clamp it down, the left side takes work and time.

Running a tall fmic 7'' ~ is a risky thing if you do bottom out like i did you can rip the whole fmic out like i did already with my first one ( slid into a ditch last winter )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/Avenger01/Pics/fmicbroke.jpg

01stage295aero
15-12-11, 10:49 AM
just ordered my FMIC i went with the size 28X7X2.5 and a 2.5' pipe kit form cx racing... Going to do probably next week can't wait to see how it comes out going take my time probably 2 days to fab everything up right the first time will post some pics ;ol;

nathanthepilot
15-12-11, 12:05 PM
Nice job guys on the pics. Starting to make sense now with what has to happen to get one in. How hard is the front bumper to take off? I may just order the FMIC now that I know what size to get (I'll go with something around 5.5" tall) and wait til the weather warms up to do the swap. Are you guys leaving the old I/C in for a back up, or are you gutting it to save on weight? This is turning out to be quite the informative thread! ;ol;

nathanthepilot
15-12-11, 12:23 PM
I also noticed in the pics that the plumbing seems to have been inverted before the hoses were hooked up in the video. Are the clearances too tight to make the hoses fit with the input/output of the FMIC at the top?

SaabNineThree
15-12-11, 03:58 PM
I also noticed in the pics that the plumbing seems to have been inverted before the hoses were hooked up in the video. Are the clearances too tight to make the hoses fit with the input/output of the FMIC at the top?
its not connected yet just sitting in there mounted and yes its upside down having the fmic with the inlet outlet on the bottom is the best idea. Taking the first gen bumper/ lights takes me about 15 mins at this point ive taken it apart many times.

keep in mind the bracket pics are the second fmic i have bought for this car. the ones with the blue couplers and in the video are from two years ago..

Norm95
15-12-11, 09:51 PM
What moving the stock intercooler in front of the ac condenser?

DavisJ
15-12-11, 09:58 PM
think he means remove it completely remove the stock intercooler

SaabNineThree
15-12-11, 10:00 PM
wat lol

DavisJ
15-12-11, 10:12 PM
i think he wants to know if you can take the old intercooler out ha ha

Nice job guys on the pics. Starting to make sense now with what has to happen to get one in. How hard is the front bumper to take off? I may just order the FMIC now that I know what size to get (I'll go with something around 5.5" tall) and wait til the weather warms up to do the swap. Are you guys leaving the old I/C in for a back up, or are you gutting it to save on weight? This is turning out to be quite the informative thread! ;ol;

sobstory95
15-12-11, 10:42 PM
yes you can, just pry the core off the end tanks so you can still mount your ac condenser.

SaabNineThree
15-12-11, 10:54 PM
You can but its a bunch of work the bracket uses the inter cooler to mount the oil cooler and ac condenser to it.. i left my stock one in airflow stayed the same car did not over heat or anything..

nathanthepilot
16-12-11, 11:14 PM
I guess it might not be worth it to pull the old I/C out, but I'll see when I put the new one in if it looks like it would be hard. I've been keeping track of Toxic's progress on his 9-5 Aero Sportcombi and it's coming right along! He put one in that was placed in the stock location, but cost big $. Shouldn't be too hard then to pull the old one out?

Off to eBay for some FMIC shopping :o)

Norm95
17-12-11, 08:20 AM
Anyone do any before/after testing? Or just installing the largest front mount?

SaabNineThree
17-12-11, 11:32 AM
Anyone do any before/after testing? Or just installing the largest front mount?
its not hard to seee that any fmic will be bette then the stock one that's seated right behind the radiator the stock fmic get heat soaked like crazy

ji5mmy
17-12-11, 11:45 AM
My 28x5.5x2.5 with 2" inlet/outlet lowered my intake temperatures from 70C with the stock IC and A/C on to 50-55C with the A/C on over the summer with 40-45C ambient air temperatures. From there, the FMIC has kept intake temps, measured at the delivery pipe temp sensor, roughly 10C about ambient, A/C on or off. The main benefit of the FMIC is that it prevents heat soak from the A/C condenser. I don't know if the taller FMIC would further lower the intake temps.

nathanthepilot
17-12-11, 03:44 PM
My 28x5.5x2.5 with 2" inlet/outlet lowered my intake temperatures from 70C with the stock IC and A/C on to 50-55C with the A/C on over the summer with 40-45C ambient air temperatures. From there, the FMIC has kept intake temps, measured at the delivery pipe temp sensor, roughly 10C about ambient, A/C on or off.

That's pretty impressive considering the 28x5.5x2.5 is one of the smaller FMIC's that I've seen on eBay. Where are you getting the temperature figures from? I have the unlocked SID, but haven't figured out what all of it means. I'll get some before figures and some after ones when I get mine installed. Do you think there is any benefit to moving the front license plate out of the way and off to the side, or is the change going to be minimal?

brewtide
17-12-11, 05:20 PM
That's pretty impressive considering the 28x5.5x2.5 is one of the smaller FMIC's that I've seen on eBay. Where are you getting the temperature figures from? I have the unlocked SID, but haven't figured out what all of it means. I'll get some before figures and some after ones when I get mine installed. Do you think there is any benefit to moving the front license plate out of the way and off to the side, or is the change going to be minimal?

Tair == Temp air at the intake temp sensor (post iC, in delivery pipe).
Teng == Engine coolant temp.

There is an entire chart of the open SIDI information somewhere; I'll try to locate it. I , myself, need to fix my SID so I can make use of all the information again...

Cheers,
Benjamin

Norm95
17-12-11, 05:47 PM
@ji5mmy, that is very good for just cruising temperature drop! :)

ji5mmy
18-12-11, 10:54 AM
Do you think there is any benefit to moving the front license plate out of the way and off to the side, or is the change going to be minimal?

Many people have moved the license plate over, but unless it completely covers the grill area in front of the FMIC, it should only be minimal. My front plate is up high enough on the bumper that it doesn't cover the FMIC at all. The bumper itself covers roughly 1/2 of the FMIC, so the license plate should only be minimal anyway.

01stage295aero
22-12-11, 05:10 PM
just finished up my fmic early this morning 2:30 :cool: nice to have a heated garage .. but came out great i also did some work on the bumper but fmic wise it went smooth. made my own brackets so i did not have to drill holes yes i DIDNOT drill holes lol.. i simply used the existing holes for the horns i made a bracket to hold the horns and the ic all in one. The piping went good to right side was easy the left side took some work but came out nice. here is a pic all finished up fits perfect under the bumper

nathanthepilot
22-12-11, 05:23 PM
Nice job bro. Looks sweet. What brand was it and about how much? Have you had a chance to street test it? Better performance?

01stage295aero
22-12-11, 05:38 PM
cx racing of ebay 28.7x2.5 with 2.5 piping kit . It was 160 with free shipping got here in three days was amazed ! took it for a drive this morning boost seemed to stay longer pulled a little longer forgot to look at the intake temps on the sid , but it was worth every penny imo ;ol;

nathanthepilot
22-12-11, 09:01 PM
cx racing of ebay 28.7x2.5 with 2.5 piping kit . It was 160 with free shipping got here in three days was amazed ! took it for a drive this morning boost seemed to stay longer pulled a little longer forgot to look at the intake temps on the sid , but it was worth every penny imo ;ol;

Looks great. So this is the 7" tall one? I read before that the 7" one sits down below the bumper so I'm surprised to see that yours looks like it's completely contained behind the spoiler. I'm wondering if it's because you used a different method to mount it....:confused: Maybe I will get the 7" version then. I was thinking I'd have to go for the smaller 5.5" one. Cool! :D

01stage295aero
22-12-11, 09:49 PM
thanks yea it came close the bottom of the intercooler sits about flush with the bottom of the lip anything more than 7" would stick below the lip, but the 28x7x2.5 was perfect imo not an extremely tight fit which is nice more room to work and its not just jammed in there like some kind of cob job.

SaabNineThree
24-12-11, 03:43 PM
I have the pic everyone was dieing for but no one ever thought of taking lmao, this is 2.5 inch pipe it fits but its a really tight fit the only peice that is missing is a 2.50'' to 2.25'' rubber adapter to attach on the left side of pipes on the turbo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/Avenger01/fmichose.jpg?t=1324759246

for a better fit im going to have to run 2.25 inch pipe on that long section on the top left side to the turbo because the rads in the way..

01stage295aero
24-12-11, 09:01 PM
I used a combo of the stock ic hose and some of pipe/hose from the ebay kit for now worked out well so far used a 90 cuppler and a section of straight pipe to connect it to the stock hose going to to get the reducer and pipe the rest like saabninethree did above tho

SaabNineThree
24-12-11, 09:23 PM
yeah i did not want to damage / cut the stock hose just in case if i ever need to go back to stock, im going to be finishing my fmic soon since i found this missing peice ahaha

01stage295aero
25-12-11, 01:26 PM
thats why i like living 10 mins away from Goldwing :D thinking about make up some mounts to take out the stock ic just to mount up the ac condenser probably should order a pre filter from k&n every time i see the one you have it reminds me its a great idea !

SaabNineThree
25-12-11, 01:54 PM
ahaha yeah i love it sounds great too with a water proof sock no issues.

Norm95
23-01-12, 04:18 PM
This is the one I got and installed based on your recommendation. Attaches right to the horn bracket mounting points under the bumper reinforcement. Most of the time was spent working with the connections.

Nice drop in temps as Jimmy mentioned. And this is cooling after a GT17. Pretty much a no brainer for different stages as the drop ETS maintains higher cruising temperatures or just like stock.

01stage295aero
23-01-12, 06:42 PM
Nice ! got any pics ??

Norm95
24-01-12, 09:12 AM
Nice ! got any pics ??

Not really, just this one.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/Norm1988GT/SU1HLTIwMTIwMTIzLTAwMzIzLmpwZw.jpg

01stage295aero
25-01-12, 12:32 PM
nice work. How did you do the pipe thats in the pic ? looks like you went a different route than i did

Norm95
25-01-12, 01:34 PM
nice work. How did you do the pipe thats in the pic ? looks like you went a different route than i did

Forty-five degree silicone and 45 degree aluminum going into uncut stock rubber tubing. Not sure if I like it as any bend in the oblong stock piece has it collapsing. The whole install was done with bumper in place.

01stage295aero
25-01-12, 06:07 PM
I also used a combo of the stock hose and the piping from the kit. Going to redo do it in the spring i want to get rid of the stock hose.

DavisJ
08-04-12, 05:06 PM
I'm looking into ordering an intercooler soon and i haven't found to many that will work unless I'm not looking in the best places ? what do you think of this one??

http://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16529&cat=1402&page=1

TankTak
08-04-12, 08:32 PM
I'm looking into ordering an intercooler soon and i haven't found to many that will work unless I'm not looking in the best places ? what do you think of this one??

http://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16529&cat=1402&page=1
there are plenty of them on ebay, you want to try for 27 or 28" X 5 X 2.5 or 3" deep
some have gone with 7" high ones but any larger and they stick out from under the bumper