SaabCentral Forums banner

2011 9-5 LED Headlamp signature lighting

17K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  mikelyden 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 Saab 9-5 Turbo4 Premium. Is there a way to activate the LED strip in the front headlamp assemblies?

I was disappointed to find out that the LED's only turn on in the "technolgy package" option with the Bi-Xenon headlamps. Saab.com website states the following note under the standard Halogen headlights "Please note: LED signature lighting is not available with the halogen headlights."

My dealer is not real familiar with the 9-5 headlamps and does not have a good answer for me.

I am hopeful there is a way to activate them as the 9-3 LED pipes turn on with both the halogen and xenon headlamp assemblies.

#3 ·
'Kross' - Your car has the "Technolgy Package" with the upgraded Xenon Lights where the LED's light up.

I have the regular halogen lights and the LED's do not come on.

I am wondering if there is a way to get mine to light up with the purchase of additional parts?

My local dealer has no idea???

#6 ·
This makes we wonder in an LED bulb can be added.

Does anyone know if the back of the headlamp housing has an opening for the LED bulb? I am hoping that a bulb fixture, bulb, harness, and power supply can be retrofitted to get these to turn on.

With the strip being there, there must be a creative way to activate these.

#7 ·
led

it is very frustrating when the answers are not there I know the feeling, alas I cant help you with your quest, I also am trying to find a solution to my 2011 9-5 2.8 XWD front turn signal lights, they have orange covers and I want them off and replaced with clear one but cant seem to find any info on them

#8 ·
I hope this gets us a step closer for anyone following. I hope there is a knowledgable service tech out there that can give this a try.

Response:
Re: 2011 Saab 9-5 Headlamps (Can the LED strips be activated?)
Trying to get this solved as well. I worked for SAAB at the Trollathan plant in Sweden as contractor. Got following Feedback via-via from someone who works at SAAB Parts:

RPO Codes in the engineering system control the light (LED) to function, you could request that to be changed, but must be done through a dealer. The dealer can programme the VCI, where they read out the car setup and then submit this with a change request to "SAAB" (there was no instance in Belgium, Germany or Sweden so I suspect it needs to go to GM). They can then change the configuration and the car can then be loaded with a new VCI programming to the proper function. The dealer should be able to help and charges should be low.

So, if we find a dealer that could read the codes of a 95 with halogeen lights and one with Bi-Xenon lights the difference should visible and reprogramming a matter of minutes.

Will continue to feed as soon as I found more!​

#12 ·
I recieved a PM from another member with the following observation:

It appears that it should have three bright LED bulbs that are missing . One that goes into the center and one at each end of the glow bar (look closely and you will see the spots). The reason this has not been figured out yet is because the front bumper has to be removed to get the headlamp out to look at it. According to the 9-5 dealer WIS manual i downloaded from this site, there are at least 15 fastners holding the bumper on the car!

#18 ·
Found Master Tech for MK 11

So I found a Master Tech in Palm Beach County. Auto One has 2 SAAB Tech's with one who is trained on MK 11 9-5. He's doing and inspection and oil change as we speak. He has the a Tech 11 software and diagnostic tools. Going to look into navigation upgrade and turning on accent lighting on 2011 SAAB 9-5 Premium. Keep you posted!

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Maybe possible.

I also have the basic headlight in my 9-5 NG. I am wondering if it is possible to add LEDs to my headlights. I can see the light stripe but LEDs are obviously not present. The question is what will happen if I light this stripe up adding LEDs? Will it work or this is just a marker of a proper light stripe?

If it's just a matter of LEDs installed under the light stripe it's a piece of cake. All you have to do is het ther install LEDS somehow and solder them with some other wires to get voltage.

I've found some picture of fully equiped headlamp. I can see some small, green board in the middle.

#23 ·
I also have the basic headlight in my 9-5 NG. I am wondering if it is possible to add LEDs to my headlights. I can see the light stripe but LEDs are obviously not present. The question is what will happen if I light this stripe up adding LEDs? Will it work or this is just a marker of a proper light stripe?

If it's just a matter of LEDs installed under the light stripe it's a piece of cake. All you have to do is het ther install LEDS somehow and solder them with some other wires to get voltage.

I've found some picture of fully equiped headlamp. I can see some small, green board in the middle.

I think what needs to happen is to open up the headlight and experiment which Im not capable of. Ive also read that the whole bumper must be removed in order to do so. So until then I fear this question will be left unanswered. Isn't a headlight from on totaled NG out there? I just cant seem to find one.

#24 ·
There is no problem in taking off the front bumper. I've tried it once with my 9-3 SS when I had to replace a converter in my xenon headlamp. I don't think (looking into WIS) that this time would be tougher.

The problem is that I still don't know if there is a point in taking the lamp off.

I would definitelly like to put my hands on a headlamp form saome damaged/totalled 9-5 NG

Maybe somebody has one?

#26 ·
None yet from me...

I've got a 'search alert' set for any inexpensive or damaged non-Xenon assemblies to experiment on. No pick'n'pull salvage yards by me anymore as far as I know!

I've already got a lot of LEDs to test install, as I build electronic stuff quite often.

I'm open to accepting (and returning) donations if anyone has a set! I actually only need one lamp to pull apart, so I'm not set on getting an extra pair--I just haven't seen any single assemblies selling for less than $250 each yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.