grille mesh [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: grille mesh

bill moffat
12th February 2004, 12:16 PM
Now thay my 9-5 is Koni'd and lowered I want to supplement the car's good looks. I have seen a 9-5 equipped with Abbott Racing's front grille mesh and very sexy it looks too.

However I don't fancy paying the Essex boys 150 quid (exchange!) to stick some chicken wire in the back of my grille. So has anybody done a DIY job and, if so, using what product ?

PS if you want to accuse me of being a boy racer feel free !

Max Power Moff.

Chris 9-5
14th February 2004, 03:53 PM
Several online stores sell the mesh and you can find it on ebay, search for "grille mesh" :wink:

Patrick X
15th February 2004, 11:41 PM
i went to Lowe's and got some Aluminum mesh screen, worked great and really easy to cut. Used some wide head screws to hold it in place, different application than you but should be about the same process. :D

Simon
16th February 2004, 03:53 PM
The cheapest method would be to buy a New (http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?products_id=1980) or second hand grille and make your own!

s3hooligan
1st March 2004, 10:33 PM
http://www.misplacedyankee.com/grill.html

doesn't get much easier than this!

Aero Coupe UK
2nd March 2004, 07:51 PM
So.......
Am I the only one here who when he did the mesh grille thing, actually spent ages cutting all the slats out of the black part of the grille????
I also cut 4 seperate pieces of mesh to fit just over the gaps that were left and glued them in place with a hot glue gun............. Oh how I laughed when I realised I'd wasted around 5 hours............... :roll:

Marrk
3rd March 2004, 02:33 PM
doesn't get much easier than this!

The idea is to get rid of all the plastic and replace with mesh, putting mesh on without removing the plastic fins is adding a restriction.
So he who spends 5 hours cutting it all out has the last laugh.. :cheesy:

Mind you one piece of mesh would have been easier!

bill moffat
6th March 2004, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the tips. I eventually went down the same laborious avenue, cutting out all of the original black slats...but I reckon it's essential to do this to get the right effect.. I also "shaved" off the central lugs which hold the Saab grille badge in place (and then glued it to the chrome part of the grille).It was then a clear run to fix my single piece of mesh in place using heavy duty cable ties.

I found all the after-market grille mesh to be rather flimsy and unimpressive, I eventually sourced sone Mondeo ST24 mesh off e bay for 8! The down side was that the mesh was incredibly tough and the use of a hacksaw / tin snippers produced, over one hour,a set of bloodied fingers and little else. My local garage came up trumps with their 60 year old metal guillotine, less than 5 minutes and "a drink" later we were in business.

The end result is impressive and I feel equals the Abbott option. The ST24/X type Jag mesh looks perfect on the Saab, I'll try and set up some photos...Bill.

Chris 9-5
19th March 2004, 01:05 PM
Bill wheres those photos, it sounds great :lol:

balata
25th August 2004, 10:46 PM
Yes Bill, I will love to see some photos of that. Thinking of doing the same to my 95

turbo5spd
27th August 2004, 02:06 PM
Who thinks you could find some plastic "mesh" that looks like the lower grille on a Viggen and do this? I prefer that honeycomb look and think it would breathe better w/ the larger holes. I'd like to do my grille and the bumper areas, but don't know if plastic would fit in the grille. Any comments?

Bill, I think you were right to spend the time and cut the slats. I plan on doing that, as well. If you're going to do a job, you might as well do it right :!

Jim

abdukted1456
3rd September 2004, 04:20 PM
So.......
Am I the only one here who when he did the mesh grille thing, actually spent ages cutting all the slats out of the black part of the grille????
I also cut 4 seperate pieces of mesh to fit just over the gaps that were left and glued them in place with a hot glue gun............. Oh how I laughed when I realised I'd wasted around 5 hours............... :roll:

I did the same with mine, cut out all the plastic slats. lets more cool air in, and looks better, the plastic shows through the mesh otherwise. I also removed the Saab "wing" and logo and painted the grill to match my car. I also figured while I was at it, i also painted the back part, where the slats used to be, I painted that dark black as well so the front grill piece would match the back piece.

Mine is a 9-3 though. I was just stopping by and looking at all the nice 9-5's here! good job guys!

TPK
5th September 2004, 01:21 PM
So.......

I did the same with mine, cut out all the plastic slats. lets more cool air in, and looks better, the plastic shows through the mesh otherwise. I also removed the Saab "wing" and logo and painted the grill to match my car. I also figured while I was at it, i also painted the back part, where the slats used to be, I painted that dark black as well so the front grill piece would match the back piece.

Mine is a 9-3 though. I was just stopping by and looking at all the nice 9-5's here! good job guys!

Our bulbs looks exactly the same... very nice job on the osram mod

winden77
9th September 2004, 08:03 AM
Hey there all... I decided to try the mesh thing and it worked great. Wanted to say thanks first off for the ideas.

I am wondering if anybody has figured out a good way to attach mesh to the lower slots below the grill. If so.. please let me in. thanks

Chris 9-5
9th September 2004, 11:38 AM
Like this?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/cbullock/Cosmic%20Blue/saab-bling010.jpg

A couple of black cable ties with the tiny exposed bit dabbed with a silver marker pen!

joshd2012
9th September 2004, 06:00 PM
That looks exactly like what I want to do. Where is everyone getting their mesh from? I found this place:

http://www.customcargrills.com

that seems to have so high quality mesh (their prices certainly indicate that). I am planning on sending away for a free sample to see how durable the stuff is. Is everyone else just using gutter guard, or have you found a place that sells mesh like the ones they are selling?

Chris 9-5
11th September 2004, 06:49 AM
I must admit I got mine cheap off ebay, thought I'd feel better that way if it looked bad and I had decided to take it off!

By the way I dont seem to have suffered any cooling / performance loss problems with the mesh in place :D

bill moffat
13th September 2004, 06:44 PM
funnily enough there is now a guy advertising a mesh grille kit for the 9-5 trading on e bay (and seemingly attracting a lot of bids!). Any of you lot ?

Chris 9-5
14th September 2004, 03:27 PM
I saw that too and he's very local to me, dont recognise the name though, good idea though, saves blunting the wife's kitchen scissors :roll:

texan_saaber
6th October 2004, 09:24 PM
has anybody done a DIY mesh grille install on a 02 or newer 9-5? the factory grille is integrated with the front bumper, and while i i'm sure it isn't difficult i don't want to accidentally break any plastic by pulling where i'm not supposed to be pulling.

Maverickvii
9th October 2004, 09:26 PM
Hey, I have an '03 9-5 2.3t with the newer grill style. I inserted black (or painted black mesh) into the grill with minimal trouble. The one problem is that it's a little hard to secure because you can't simply sandwich it in between the silver and the inner black grill parts. I ended up leaving small squares (tabs) of mesh around the main cutout, bending them back and then using screws to secure them to the black part of the grill. Heres a before and after.

serencavalier
9th October 2004, 09:46 PM
Chris 9-5
can you PLEASE give exact details about how you installed these grilles???? did u have to remove the bumper for the lower air vents? did u buy from the ebay guy who keeps saying he is selling it in 3 part kit??? what are the 3 parts??????????????? im just so amazed at how ur 9-5 looks that i want to get this done as soon as possible!
oh btw, do u have any picture of the front from a distance? just curious about how it looks from to passersby...
THANKS!!!

Chris 9-5
10th October 2004, 09:42 AM
I have replied to your private message and thanks for the compliments!

The lower grilles are in three sections, one central and one each side of the fogs, I guess thats why they refer to it as a three part kit, but you can do it your self far cheaper!

I did drop the undertray so it was easier to thread the cable ties through but nothing on the bumper needs to be removed, they simply cable tie onto the existing black slats.

The upper grille can be prised apart and the mesh sandwiched in between fairly easily, I also noticed those very nice chaps at www.partsforsaabs.com have the mesh for sale now too 8)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/cbullock/Cosmic%20Blue/saab-bling012.jpg

serencavalier
10th October 2004, 09:50 AM
thanks chris very much for your reply! unfortunetly CT Racing doesnt sell it anymore on ebay, and even if they did, they only ship within the UK! im in the US and cant find any alternative other than the Gutter Guard mesh sold in hardware stores, which i dont think is going to look as nice, as you might know because the patterns of the diamonds vary and i want one that definetly stands out when u look at (more like yours, which looks absolutly gorgeous on your 95!!!)
well thanks for the help, i hope i can find something soon!

Chris 9-5
10th October 2004, 09:54 AM
Does this help?

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?products_id=2482