BSR PPC Performance Dyno Data - Before & After [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: BSR PPC Performance Dyno Data - Before & After

CrankCase
12th February 2004, 07:12 AM
Now that we no longer have to remove and send our ECU's away, the BSR route is starting to look more viable.

So how about posting your Dyno run data here, one before, and one AFTER the mod!

mav238
12th February 2004, 09:49 AM
Now that we no longer have to remove and send our ECU's away, the BSR route is starting to look more viable.

So how about posting your Dyno run data here, one before, and one AFTER the mod!

hmmm... are you looking for a "guinea pig" or test-bed to try it out first? If you have been on this forum for a while now, I believe that someone here has already tried it out and the results are quite impressive.

CrankCase
12th February 2004, 10:55 AM
Err... not really. I've pretty much decided to go for it myself already, except that it is "low" priority for now.

Just thought I'd start this thread to validate the claimed figures, discuss if the trionic boost adaptation is required post mod, check on any experiences with reversing the mod back to original state, etc

pjku79
13th February 2004, 07:35 AM
Err... not really. I've pretty much decided to go for it myself already, except that it is "low" priority for now.

Just thought I'd start this thread to validate the claimed figures, discuss if the trionic boost adaptation is required post mod, check on any experiences with reversing the mod back to original state, etc

what is a trionic boost adaptation?

CrankCase
14th February 2004, 04:55 AM
Basically the Trionic engine management system will learn/adapt according to your driving habits. Here's an excerpt from GenuineSaab (http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/default.asp) .Click on "1 Service" for the methodology.

"...On all Trionic versions including T5, T7 and T8 maximum turbo boost pressure is
continuously adapted and optimized during normal driving. There are times when it is
desirable to force the Trionic to adapt more rapidly by carrying out the procedure
explained below. It is recommended to perform this adaptation after replacement of the
Trionic control module (ECM) be it original or upgraded..."

oslowley
15th February 2004, 12:09 PM
I will be ordering it on Wednesday so I'll be happy to give a report.

CallipNCSUsaab
15th February 2004, 10:43 PM
the dyno has been done:

http://www.genuinesaab.com/tuning/440.htm

joshd2012
16th February 2004, 01:54 AM
the dyno has been done:

http://www.genuinesaab.com/tuning/440.htm

Those are the dyno sheets from BSR. I think most of us here are looking for an independant dyno. :wink:

CallipNCSUsaab
16th February 2004, 02:09 AM
^ I imagine they will be better then this dyno in that case then. Anyone spending the money for this will have done more to their car than what BSR has.

exhaust, air filter. etc.

Saba
16th February 2004, 02:36 AM
the dyno has been done:

http://www.genuinesaab.com/tuning/440.htmYes they are just sheets created in photoshop. Purely promotional.

CallipNCSUsaab
16th February 2004, 03:03 AM
can they really be much different? Dont get me wrong.. I am curious to see dynos too, but there is going to be variations dependent on the shop you go too.. the type of dyno they have.. what other mods that paticular person has, etc.

that graph is probably right on for what we should expect as is.... or do you all think its overly optimistic? I hope its dead on :)

CrankCase
16th February 2004, 06:09 AM
Even if our independant dynos are similar, or different from BSR's, the data is still useful:

1) are the figures consistent?

2) what's the highest score - and how was it achieved (ie. filter, exhaust, other mods)

3) what's the lowest score - any possible causes?

4) do different "versions" of the software produce different results? (BSR imply that future software upgrades can be downloaded through the internet)

5) by addressing issues 1-4, any "bugs" in the software can quickly be detected, reported and (hopefully) fixed by BSR

We all wanna learn from each other's positive/negative experiences, right? So I'm sure the data can be interpreted in a meaningful way.

CallipNCSUsaab
16th February 2004, 11:17 PM
^ :) well if you put it that way, haha. Sign me up.

pjku79
17th February 2004, 03:41 PM
thats a nice intercooler at the genuine saab site, too bad it costs soo much.

CrankCase
18th February 2004, 07:39 AM
Yeah, I heard that aftermarket intercoolers for Subaru and Audi/VW don't cost as much. Wonder what's so special about SAAB - maybe Swedish :cheesy: Then Volvo should be just as expensive as well :-??

joshd2012
18th February 2004, 01:40 PM
Yeah, I heard that aftermarket intercoolers for Subaru and Audi/VW don't cost as much. Wonder what's so special about SAAB - maybe Swedish :cheesy: Then Volvo should be just as expensive as well :-??

The reason it is so expensive is because there is a very small market for them right now. They have to recover cost, and they do that by raising the price. The more people who purchase it, the faster the price will drop for everyone else.

I'll be getting one eventually, I just have a few other performance mods I want to tackle first (that, and I need to buy the car :cheesy: )

CrankCase
19th February 2004, 12:08 AM
Hmmm...I'm not sure if that makes good business sense. Coz if they price their intercoolers too high, then they are only gonna get less buyers - which is precisely what they don't want. Plus, if they subsequently lower the price in the future, those who bought at the high price are gonna feel "cheated", and that damages goodwill.

I'm sure that if they fix the price lower, more people will buy. What they lose in terms of mark-up can then be compensated by volume - with no loss of goodwill.

Saba
19th February 2004, 01:02 AM
Hmmm...I'm not sure if that makes good business sense. Coz if they price their intercoolers too high, then they are only gonna get less buyers - which is precisely what they don't want. Plus, if they subsequently lower the price in the future, those who bought at the high price are gonna feel "cheated", and that damages goodwill.

I'm sure that if they fix the price lower, more people will buy. What they lose in terms of mark-up can then be compensated by volume - with no loss of goodwill.Yes I agree, better business sense. The cost of development would be factored in over the long term.

SS
19th February 2004, 02:37 AM

I'm sure that if they fix the price lower, more people will buy. What they lose in terms of mark-up can then be compensated by volume - with no loss of goodwill.Yes I agree, better business sense. The cost of development would be factored in over the long term.

But then again, you have to remember that there are a lot of people who dont really give a crap about the price tag. They want it, they buy it. True that a lower price will definately increase the number of buyers, but then again, there are those who dont mind paying 1800 for an intercooler. All IMHO!!