SaabCentral Forums banner

Break-In Period

Tags
new 9-5
1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  PlumLoopy 
#1 ·
Seeking advice, just purchased my third Saab, an '11 9-5 Aero with under one hundred miles on it. However, I need to drive it 2000 miles to get it from point of purchase to my home. I decided against paying a transporter. The first 1000 miles of the trip is basically flat, but then I will hit some mountainous terrain. I've read a recent Popular Mechanics article about changing oil after 20 miles and then at 1000 miles, but I'm wondering if I can make the trip back without an oil change without harming the car? Also, I know it's advised no steady speed for the first 1000 miles, which pretty much rules out cruise control and makes for a long trip. Does anyone know what the Saab manual says about breaking-in the vehicle? :confused: I pick the car up in a week and would like to not destroy the car during it's maiden voyage. Thanks for your advice.

#2 ·
I would not be concerned with this in the least. I have purchased and broken in several cars including a Porsche. Just make an attempt to not go higher than about 3-4K RPM's and drive it. That old myth about changing the oil after 100 or 1000 miles is bunk IMO especially with today's manufacturing tolerances. I don't buy the old "there will be metal filings in the new engine" thing and even if there were, that's why you have a nice oil filter.

Worse case if you are feeling uncomfortable, change the oil at 5,000 miles vs the more typical 7-8K change interval that is fine for the high quality synthetic oil in your new car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.