lighter please [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: lighter please

jim_mcghee
16th May 2002, 02:58 PM
does anyone know if i can get a FibreGlass bonnet for my 900i ?
Is the pre face lift bonnet different from the post face lift model?
thank you

Janne Selinummi
16th May 2002, 05:55 PM
The bonnet's the same in pre and post facelift models, but early cars (up to '81 or '82) had twin air vents, where the later ones only have one.

There's a Swedish company that sells GRP body parts for Saabs, the website is at
http://home.swipnet.se/rpglasfiber/

I think I'll go GRP when my bonnet starts to have rust problems. I don't know about the quality of the parts that company sells, since I've never seen any of those parts fitted to a car. But I'm sure the people at the company can send pictures... If aquire a pic or any info, please let me know!

Eric van Spelde
27th May 2002, 09:28 AM
I'd be concerned about passive safety when replacing my steel bonnet for a fibreglass one. The OE part is designed to take considerable loads of impact energy, crumpling in the process whle the rear part stays in the two longitudinal sliding affairs, whils a fibreglass one would just shatter. The bootlid of the Silver Arrow (2-door saloon) however, suffers from rust in one spot and I'm tempted to replace it with a fibreglass one as the original does not seem to have a lot of impact-resisting strength anyways.
I'd be very interested in a carbonfibre bonnet, though... :smile: