SaabCentral Forums banner

Saab Bankrupt and Warranty Questions

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  bigsimmo 
#1 ·
What is going to happen to our new car warranties if Saab goes under? It is not looking good according to the latest news about Saab not being able to pay their bills. I wanted to buy a new 94-x but I am worried.

#4 ·
what if you bought a GMPP? Its a legally-binding contract between you and GM....

Im in that boat, have a GMPP so when GM agreed to sell me one, they agreed to service and warrant my car thru the duration of the contract.

Now as far as new car warranties... Not sure there.

#6 ·
I believe - but I am not 100% certain, so you will have to confirm this with someone else - that car manufacturers are - at least in the U.S. - required to have their warranty programs insured in case they go under and can no longer provide them themselves.

I vaguely remember hearing this a while back.

#7 ·
I believe - but I am not 100% certain, so you will have to confirm this with someone else - that car manufacturers are - at least in the U.S. - required to have their warranty programs insured in case they go under and can no longer provide them themselves.

I vaguely remember hearing this a while back.

I *think*, just think that its part of Magnusson Moss Act. It required auto manufacturers to have enough spare parts or capacity to produce spare parts and service providers for a period of 10 years after production of a specific model has ended. I know the last tidbit of information is a fact since I worked in auto manufacturing several years back, just dont remember what law states that.

#8 ·
saab by law has to fill all warrenty conditions, it's basicly like a contract when you buy the car. parts and service have to be supplied for 10 years for current model. if you have a 5 year old car they are only expected to produce parts for 5 years etc. if saab went under ,all it would mean is that the contracted suppliers would be free to sell who ever they like and all service information would be come unlicenced and free to who ever wants it.

to be honest as doom and gloom as the media makes saab sound, i think it's going to be ok, might get worse before it gets better but it will get better......have faith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.