Tonneau cover motor needs replacing, what do I need to get? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Tonneau cover motor needs replacing, what do I need to get?

J-Rod
02-08-11, 03:20 PM
On a friends car, there is a gap between the tonneau cover and the top and I have been told that's caused by a faulty tonneau cover motor.

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy1/jrodigan5/900top.png

What is the exact motor I need for it? Eeuroparts lists the "tonneau motor" for like $1100, so used would be okay.

J-Rod
02-08-11, 03:22 PM
Is this right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-03-SAAB-900-NG900-9-3-CONVERTIBLE-TONNEAU-FLAP-MOTOR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aSaabQ7cModelQ3a900Q 7cSubmodelQ3aSEQQhashZitem2eb685f79dQQitemZ2006307 28605QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessori es

widuck1
02-08-11, 03:49 PM
You might want the tonneau motor found behind the passenger side taillight. But I would take it out and troubleshoot before throwing parts at it,

John

J-Rod
02-08-11, 03:53 PM
Thanks, I'll see if I can take a look at the car today or tomorrow. How can I test it?

lifeonloan3
02-08-11, 04:34 PM
Can you give some more detail about the problem? the picture doesn't really do much for me.

The motor you posted is the tonneau latch motor, not the cover motor. The cover motor lifts and lowers the the cover, while I would assume the latch motor controls only the latches. I have experience tinkering with the former, but not the latter.

Is there just a gap, or is it actually not latched at all?

-Bryan

J-Rod
02-08-11, 04:46 PM
Don't have much info right now since its not my car and i dont have access to it right now. Working from memory when i last messesd with it, it was latched just has an inch gap there. I'll try get more info tomorrow and see if the rest of he works as it should as well as take a look at some of the ccomponents and wiring .

J-Rod
02-08-11, 05:17 PM
The top does not retract. But he said it makes a sound like it's trying to, so maybe a stripped gear back there or something?

N.E. Swede
02-08-11, 10:38 PM
from the pic., I'd guess the gap is from a bent 5th bow. For the "gear clash" noise from the tonneau, wrap a big hose clamp around the tonneau motor assembly so that motor cannot move away from the assembly (the motor is on a hinge that loves to bend pushing the motor away from the gear) This will disable the emergency release, but the release is the cause of the problem and 9 out of 10 owners get into deeper trouble when they use the release

J-Rod
02-08-11, 10:54 PM
Okay, I'll check that out tomorrow. Sorry, but what is the fifth bow? Convertible newbie here...;oops:

john bernard
02-08-11, 11:01 PM
That gap between the fifth bow and the tonneau is not the fault of the tonneau motor; the problem is that the fifth bow isn't properly latched to the tonneau. That is the job of the fifth bow latches which located on the underside of the tonneau. Their job is to grab those two prongs on the bottom of the fifth bow and pull it down tight gainst the tonneau. Nothing to do with the tonneau motor at all.
Look up an old post by flyhop that will tell you how you can test the latch system, or take to a tech who can test with his tech 2. I don't think it would take a tech more than about 15 min. to test it. If the latch system is OK, you will latch it when you are testing it

J-Rod
28-08-11, 05:08 PM
Well, I still haven't gotten a chance to really mess with it too much, but here's how the tonneau motor is acting:

Saab 900 Tonneau Motor issue - YouTube

BobSaabit
28-08-11, 09:05 PM
Well, I still haven't gotten a chance to really mess with it too much, but here's how the tonneau motor is acting:

Saab 900 Tonneau Motor issue - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JHFX-REIPI)

I've never actually looked at one in operation under load, but it sounds to me like it has a bad gear or gears.

Backing up a bit though... what does the roof do when you push the switch to open it? Does the rear of the roof lift up? Do you hear that sound after the rear is lifted and it's trying to lift the tonneau cover? Describe what the roof does or doesn't do and we can possibly be of more help. A film of the roof from outside the car would actually be more helpful at this point.

J-Rod
28-08-11, 09:31 PM
Nothing happens when I press the switch. I press the switch, the top doesn't budge, and it immediately makes that sound.

BobSaabit
28-08-11, 10:26 PM
Nothing happens when I press the switch. I press the switch, the top doesn't budge, and it immediately makes that sound.

Sounds like it's not unlatching the rear of the roof (or doesn't know it has) and/or is unable to lift the 5th bow. I'm not very expert in that area... perhaps one of the other vert guys who knows more about that area will post.

J-Rod
28-08-11, 10:44 PM
We'll probably end up taking it to the local Saab shop and have them put it on the Tech II computer to see what the cars computer has to say about what's wrong.

J-Rod
29-08-11, 08:35 PM
VID 00239 20110829 1723 - YouTube

widuck1
29-08-11, 08:48 PM
with the big gear and means the tonneau cover motor frame has probably distorted enough to allow the skip. you can take yours out and see for yourself, then evaluate your options. An ebay motor frame might be better, might not. The hose clamp trick might fix it, but I have no experience with this mod. The stiffening kit might be present, might not. This is a dealer kit availalbe for less than 20 USD which beefs up somewhat the hinge on the frame. Not a cure all if the frame itself is torqued too much.

Hope this helps some,

Good luck,

John