where did you get your magnaflow muffler, and why... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: where did you get your magnaflow muffler, and why...

CallipNCSUsaab
2nd February 2004, 11:44 PM
did you guys research other mufflers?

why did you go with the magnaflow?

Did you get it at your local shop, if so did they have it in stock, if not.. how long did you have to wait?

How long did it actually take to have the muffler swapped?

did you get JUST the muffler, any pipe enlarging.. tips.. etc

the decor kit, do you have to paint it, or does it come in a black like the side panels on the car.. any pics?

okay, no more questions.. wow, just REALLY CURIOUS as to the process and would love to get some more info, I read ALL the magnaflow threads just trying to be concise and intrigued to know why it seems to be the only one being used, any reason for that?

dang, already asked that didnt I :)

moz
3rd February 2004, 12:05 AM
>> did you guys research other mufflers?

Yeah, I looked at most of the popular ones - Borla, Flowmaster and a few others.

>> why did you go with the magnaflow?

Good pricing, all reports/reviews were favorable as to the quality and finish of the mufflers. I also wanted something low-cost as an intermediate solution and will consider replacing the whole thing with a cat-back once a viable solution presents itself.

>> Did you get it at your local shop, if so did they have it in stock, if not.. how long did you have to wait?

Got it via mail order through the internet. Performance peddler is the company, they sell some through ebay too. Prices were very low, nothing came close. Product was delivered as expected.

>> How long did it actually take to have the muffler swapped?

Simple job, cut off the OEM and weld the Magnaflow in place with a little pipe bending to connect it to the outlet. Probably less than 40 minutes total.

>> did you get JUST the muffler, any pipe enlarging.. tips.. etc

I bought the SS series with the tips included, nothing else.

>>the decor kit, do you have to paint it, or does it come in a black like the side panels on the car.. any pics?

I have the Saab body kit on my car so I didn't have to deal with the decor kit :)

okay, no more questions.. wow, just REALLY CURIOUS as to the process and would love to get some more info, I read ALL the magnaflow threads just trying to be concise and intrigued to know why it seems to be the only one being used, any reason for that?

dang, already asked that didnt I :)

HTH!

CallipNCSUsaab
3rd February 2004, 01:29 AM
haha, wow you are the man.. thanks for the reply man!!

anyone else?

CallipNCSUsaab
3rd February 2004, 02:47 AM
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/mirrorfinish/streetseries.htm model 14830, how do I know if and how it will fit.. I dont want the pipes sticking out too far.. how do you know what is the best fit, and size for that matter?

WASAAB
3rd February 2004, 02:48 AM
http://www.waveperformance.com/mufflerclips/muffler.htm

http://www.legend.org/performance/mods/exhaust-1.html

Here are the links to the sites that I found that are related to the Magnaflow muffler. :P
Hope it helps..

CallipNCSUsaab
3rd February 2004, 03:07 AM
you got the one tip right, any reason or just choice?

moz
3rd February 2004, 03:05 PM
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/mirrorfinish/streetseries.htm model 14830, how do I know if and how it will fit.. I dont want the pipes sticking out too far.. how do you know what is the best fit, and size for that matter?

Any of those SS series should fit, 2.25" inlet / 14" is fine. As for the tips sticking out - get your installer to do it nice and flush, not a problem there is plenty of room to work with. Only thing I'd worry about with the one you posted is the size of the outlet tips, mine are 2.75" in width (each) and there is enough space on the outside of the cutout so as to prevent any melting if the pipes move around too much. 3" dual outlets may fit ok, but I'm not sure.

epsilon93
8th February 2004, 10:03 AM
Is the Magnaflow ECE compliant? Meaning does it come with any ECE approval papers and if it is available for sale in the Euro.

CallipNCSUsaab
8th February 2004, 08:06 PM
^ good question, anyone?

ALSO FOR THOSE WHO ALREADY HAVE THE MAGNAFLOW:

did the shop installing it change any of the hangers or was it a simple remove old muffler, put on magnaflow?

have you noticed any gains.. or notice any slag off the line that was not there before?

mav238
12th February 2004, 11:00 AM
^ good question, anyone?

ALSO FOR THOSE WHO ALREADY HAVE THE MAGNAFLOW:

did the shop installing it change any of the hangers or was it a simple remove old muffler, put on magnaflow?

have you noticed any gains.. or notice any slag off the line that was not there before?

Wow, you sure do have a lot of questions ! :o :D

Anyway, I have to say that the main gain is the improved sound, very aggressive deep tone growl during hard acceleration, not like the ricey "dunk" type mufflers you find in the Honda's and Nissan's. I don't think you would expect a significant or observable performance gain with just a muffler swap.

CallipNCSUsaab
12th February 2004, 10:40 PM
^ asking lots of questions is why I drive a saab now and not a bmw.

I dont expect much in the gain category, I want to make sure I am not going to lose any on the low end.

MoviStar
13th February 2004, 01:51 AM
you might lose a little on the low end if you have the automatic. I just put the muffler on my 9-3 arc and instead of getting different tips i just got a turn down for the outlet. just like the stock exhaust but now it is one outlet instead of two and it is still hidden behind the bumper.

mav238
13th February 2004, 12:46 PM
you might lose a little on the low end if you have the automatic. I just put the muffler on my 9-3 arc and instead of getting different tips i just got a turn down for the outlet. just like the stock exhaust but now it is one outlet instead of two and it is still hidden behind the bumper.

Actually, it's been over 8 months now and I am very satisfied with the MAGNAFLOW exhaust. The sound is very European like, and the impact on performance has been interesting. In full automatic mode, the performance seems better in the low end, while in manual mode, the response has been improved as well. I don't believe that there is a significant increase in absolute HP and torque numbers.

Saline
13th February 2004, 04:02 PM
Movistar, could you post info on the tip (from where, model #) as well as which model of muffler?
I like the idea of not having to cut up the rear, and really prefer the hidden muffler look.

I wonder on the Saab SUV if they will come up with a better rear end than the Trailblazer - worst looking rear end with that big muffler hanging there...

mav238
13th February 2004, 06:38 PM
Movistar, could you post info on the tip (from where, model #) as well as which model of muffler?
I like the idea of not having to cut up the rear, and really prefer the hidden muffler look.

I wonder on the Saab SUV if they will come up with a better rear end than the Trailblazer - worst looking rear end with that big muffler hanging there...

Movistar:

I did not have to have the rear apron cut up to put the muffler in, it still looks very stock like.

CallipNCSUsaab
16th February 2004, 03:04 AM
mav, how close is that gap between the metal and your car? If its as close as it looks with the way I drive it might melt my bumper :) ha.

I like the idea of not having to get the decor kit put on. Can you post a pic mav directly behind your car so I can get another angle?

mav238
16th February 2004, 01:23 PM
mav, how close is that gap between the metal and your car? If its as close as it looks with the way I drive it might melt my bumper :) ha.

I like the idea of not having to get the decor kit put on. Can you post a pic mav directly behind your car so I can get another angle?

Here you go.

The gap between the tips and rear apron is about 5mm. Thus far, no issues with the "melting"... As you drive your car hard, (that is when your exhaust tips gets really hot), the rush of the cold air will cool down your tips well enough. No worries there. Just make sure you have a knowledgeable and experienced installer.