B&G Lowering Springs [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: B&G Lowering Springs

beerbaron105
27th July 2011, 09:25 PM
Anyone running these? I am looking for a mild lowering kit for my 2008 Saab 9-3

Just thought it was weird they only work up to the 2008 model, when I believe the 2009 is the exact same.

Here is the link:

http://store.newlevelmotorsports.com/bglosp20sa93.html

pacotaco
27th July 2011, 09:57 PM
i prefer the h&r springs mainly because they can be found for cheaper and they are a good high quality spring, but b&g is a good spring so are votgotlands and eibach just avoid the megan springs.

beerbaron105
27th July 2011, 10:02 PM
i prefer the h&r springs mainly because they can be found for cheaper and they are a good high quality spring, but b&g is a good spring so are votgotlands and eibach just avoid the megan springs.

Haven't found an Eibach application for the 2008 Saab 9-3?

pacotaco
27th July 2011, 10:06 PM
thats probably because they havent tested them on an 08, the suspension should be the same among all FWD 9-3s unless you have the XWD option.

so the eibachs should work, but im gonna push h&r again just cuz i can.

beerbaron105
27th July 2011, 10:17 PM
The 1.4/1.5 drop on the H&R is safe for stock struts?

And its the 2.0T FWD

pacotaco
27th July 2011, 10:24 PM
for about a year, but the drop on every other sport spring is going to be the same they are all going to drop you the same amount. Now i say a year but it can be 2 or more but what will happen in about a years time is the struts will become less damp and performance will become worse, and at this point you should consider getting uprated struts like the koni yellows and those will last you.

so in the long run if you are looking to get the lowering springs you will most possibly need to buy new uprated struts that are shortened for the lowering. now there are other options like coilovers but those product a harsh ride and the lower end coilovers are crap and the nicer kw's are about 1400 starting. The other option is to pick up a set of aero springs and partner them with koni FSD struts which will get you a sport lowering and it will keep a nice soft ride and it will become stiff in the turns

loochy
28th July 2011, 10:19 AM
The 1.4/1.5 drop on the H&R is safe for stock struts?

And its the 2.0T FWD

I did that for about a year like Paco said. Everything was technically OK, but the ride was super bouncy. I didn't get the good handling increases until I put some Koni Yellows on.

beerbaron105
28th July 2011, 10:43 AM
Will a 03-07 Koni yellow fit a 2008 model?

I don't see anyone selling a 2008 application

loochy
28th July 2011, 11:12 AM
Will a 03-07 Koni yellow fit a 2008 model?

I don't see anyone selling a 2008 application

I'm pretty sure they fit. I think it's the same situation as with the springs that Paco talked about.

SaabMick
28th July 2011, 12:04 PM
I did that for about a year like Paco said. Everything was technically OK, but the ride was super bouncy. I didn't get the good handling increases until I put some Koni Yellows on.

yup and I have the megans, they aren't a good spring but was a cheap alternative at the time. The coating is crap, totally flaked off and was chipped right out of the box. I'm in the middle here, had them in for just over a year and just like previously stated the ride's become bouncy.

I have a question, in the rear, are the megan springs (and possibly other sport springs) meant to have the first two coils fully compressed under normal loading? Is this to keep the spring perched/seated when the car springs up and releases the body weight from the suspension? If not then mine are bound and yet another example of a megan fail.

loochy
28th July 2011, 01:57 PM
yup and I have the megans, they aren't a good spring but was a cheap alternative at the time. The coating is crap, totally flaked off and was chipped right out of the box. I'm in the middle here, had them in for just over a year and just like previously stated the ride's become bouncy.

That's what I have too. They are fine, but the paint is all chipped and they are getting rusty. I should've just got the H&Rs or the Vogtlands in the first place since I'm just going to have to buy them anyway.

I have a question, in the rear, are the megan springs (and possibly other sport springs) meant to have the first two coils fully compressed under normal loading? Is this to keep the spring perched/seated when the car springs up and releases the body weight from the suspension? If not then mine are bound and yet another example of a megan fail.

That's how mine are.

SaabMick
28th July 2011, 02:28 PM
alright that's good at least. The drop is fantastic I have to admit, especially with a black car any wheel gap left isn't noticeable at all. I think I'm waiting for next years koni yellow sale and springing into action for some vogtlands or h&rs at the same time like you.

beerbaron105
28th July 2011, 02:58 PM
Sounds like a broken record, but can someone confirm that these Koni yellows (03-07) will fit my 08?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/KONI-YELLOW-SPORT-SHOCKS-STRUTS-SET-03-07-SAAB-9-3-/320717969794?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASaab|Model%3A9-3&hash=item4aac47d982#ht_2478wt_1139

SaabMick
29th July 2011, 10:59 AM
contact genuine saab or the saabsite, or look at suspension part numbers for FWD between 03-07 and 08 for stock, that should tell you if they're the same.

pacotaco
29th July 2011, 11:27 AM
Yes they should and are the same weve gone over this one before. The part numbers are the same.