Oil filtration [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Oil filtration

sumfir
2nd February 2004, 01:21 PM
Are there other Saab "approved" oil filters out there. I Have 20,000 miles on a 2001 Aero and noticing the oil is very dirty before 2000 miles. Using the dealer provided filters and logging mostly highway miles the oil is dirtyier than any vehicle I have every owned. Dealer says change more often and suggests staying with Saab filters. I 3000 miles a month. I would have to change oil 15 times a year under that theory.

Shiston
2nd February 2004, 11:15 PM
Provided you change the oil filter each time you change the oil I think the saab genuine oil filters should be well up to the task. Maybe K&N make an aftermarket oil filter.

DrBoost
3rd February 2004, 02:53 AM
Hej !

I'm not really sure if the oil is really "dirty", black oil is one thing, dirty is another.
The procedure for changing oil is important, the engine needs to be warmed up, this means that the OIL should be "hot", not only the coolant. Then, let it drain for at least 10 minutes.

If you smell the oil, it's possible to make a "analyze" the oil, however this require some experience...
So, what about sending a sample to a oil lab ?
It will cost you some money, but then you will KNOW, instead of "thinking".

I think, that there's nothing wrong with your "black oil".
But, I've not seen your car, so I'm only guessing.
What is the oil consumption ?
And, what kind of fuel economy do you get ?

I trust you use Saab oil filter, and a quality oil, fulfilling the specs. needed for you car.

sumfir
3rd February 2004, 02:32 PM
I bought this car with 12,000 miles on it. So the car is still under the 3-36 maintenance period. So the dealer has taken care of all of mine and previous owners oilchanges. The oil has been changed three times at this point (21,000k). The oil was black with odor after 2000 miles from last oil change (18,500 miles). This is my first experience with synthetic OIL so I am not familiar with the oil. I have used Pennzoil oil and Bosch filters on all of my previous three turbo cars (non-Saab)and I do know that at 5000 mile intervals I had cleaner oil then my 2001 Aero at 2000 miles. I may be over reacting. My dealer seems to be OK with the car. It is I who is uncomfortable with it being that black this soon.

My fuel mileage seems normal. I average 24/25 MPG per tank and it cruises 90 percent highways. My foot is in the turbo all the time off the highway, I cant help it, I am addicted.

My concern is that I want to maximize the longevity of this car and if I can treat it too the best filters or oil I can, I want to do that. However, I dont want anything go wrong during the warranty period and it be contributed to a K&N filter. I have witnessed first hand at a Chrysler dealership choosing not to honor a warranty because of aftermarket oil filters did not meet "Factory requirements". Something about bypass or check valves in the filters.

sumfir
3rd February 2004, 02:32 PM
I bought this car with 12,000 miles on it. So the car is still under the 3-36 maintenance period. So the dealer has taken care of all of mine and previous owners oilchanges. The oil has been changed three times at this point (21,000k). The oil was black with odor after 2000 miles from last oil change (18,500 miles). This is my first experience with synthetic OIL so I am not familiar with the oil. I have used Pennzoil oil and Bosch filters on all of my previous three turbo cars (non-Saab)and I do know that at 5000 mile intervals I had cleaner oil then my 2001 Aero at 2000 miles. I may be over reacting. My dealer seems to be OK with the car. It is I who is uncomfortable with it being that black this soon.

My fuel mileage seems normal. I average 24/25 MPG per tank and it cruises 90 percent highways. My foot is in the turbo all the time off the highway, I cant help it, I am addicted.

My concern is that I want to maximize the longevity of this car and if I can treat it too the best filters or oil I can, I want to do that. However, I dont want anything go wrong during the warranty period and it be contributed to a K&N filter. I have witnessed first hand at a Chrysler dealership choosing not to honor a warranty because of aftermarket oil filters did not meet "Factory requirements". Something about bypass or check valves in the filters.

sumfir
3rd February 2004, 02:33 PM

sumfir
3rd February 2004, 05:38 PM
Sorry, about the multiple posts. Computer hung up and I entered it multiple times.

kamalk
25th February 2004, 01:28 AM
Where do you live? the only reason I ask is because I'm trying to think if there might be some type of environmental contribution to the oil getting dirty. I would absolutely recommend staying with the "SAAB" oil filter and nothing else. Keep in mind that synthitic oil has totally different properties, physical and chemical than full organic oil. Stick with a well known product like "Mobil 1 0-40" and change it bitween 3000 to 5000 miles and as long as there is no physical "dirt" in the oil you should be ok. Regardless of how black it may be or it's odor. (as long as it dose not smell burnt)