SaabCentral Forums banner

Discovered a Software bug in the 2011 9-5 Infotainment System

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  jerryme5 
#1 ·
Is there any way to file a bug report with Saab?

How to reproduce.
  1. Fill an iPod with a large amount of artists, some must be band names, others must be artists with first and last names.
  2. Connect iPod via sync cable and USB to factory head unit via center console. (tested on 11 speaker Harman kardon system without nav)
  3. Switch unit to iPod mode using aux button.
  4. Once playing a song, press the menu button
  5. go to search
  6. Select "artist"
  7. turn knob fast to search by Letter.

--- This is were it will differ depending on what artists are on your ipod, but here is how it works for me. ---

8. I want to listen to Depeche Mode, so I turn the knob quickly to skip to D. the head unit gives me an example of D artists, but only David Bowie is listed (odd, I know I have music from many artists starting with D)
  9. I stop scrolling only to find that the head unit has highlighted David Bowie in my list, but he is sorted alphabetically with the "B"'s, not with the D's.
  10. I turn the knob fast again to try to get to the D's, but only David Bowie is there again, and when I release I'm in the middle of the B section again.
  11. The only way to get to the ACTUAL D's is to turn the knob very slowly so you don't go to "skip by letter" mode until you get to the D's the long way. (this can be very frustrating if you - like me - have a large music collection on a 160Gb iPod Classic. DEFINITELY don't try this while driving.)
  12. If while doing this you accidentally turn the knob too fast, you have to start over.

So, the root cause here appears to be that the system tries to be smart and sort artists with first and last names, by their last name, but the letter skip function (when you turn the dial quickly) doesn't do this, and instead sorts them by the first letter in the artist tag.

These two subroutines need to be homogenized so they treat artists the same way. Which way, I don't particularly care.

This could potentially be a rather serious bug, as a driver could try to do this while driving, and become distracted from the road, causing an accident.

The system is supposed to minimize distractions, not create them.

See less See more
#2 ·
This is a real pain ... gotta try it myself.... I guess there's no difference to models with navigation ... btw..

have you experienced the following annoyance?:

when selecting an album on the ipod, it'll play only in alphabetical order - there's no way to change that, only solution is to choose random playback.
the order of tracklists are completely ignored ... NOW this is a really bad implementation of iPod-Support and as you say very distracting and dangerous..

#3 ·
This is a real pain ... gotta try it myself.... I guess there's no difference to models with navigation ... btw..

when selecting an album on the ipod, it'll play only in alphabetical order - there's no way to change that, only solution is to choose random playback.
the order of tracklists are completely ignored ... NOW this is a really bad implementation of iPod-Support and as you say very distracting and dangerous..

#4 ·

#5 ·
Interesting.

I hadn't noticed that yet (have;t tried to play albums yet).

I wonder to what extent the software in the infotainment system is upgradeable if they fix it...

#6 ·
sorry for my triple post above - my postings simply didn't show up, required moderation, hmm ... anyway,

Mattlach, it seems as the ipod-control through the satnav screen works a little different to the radio - i.e. there's unfortunately no "speed-browsing" as you described and as is to be found on the ipod. it's annoyingly artist by artist, name by name etc.
one can only speed it up by holding the scroll down button on the screen, otherwise you need the perpetually turn the central wheel below the screen until you find the right album or your wrist hurts.

#7 ·
sorry for my triple post above - my postings simply didn't show up, required moderation, hmm ... anyway,

Mattlach, it seems as the ipod-control through the satnav screen works a little different to the radio - i.e. there's unfortunately no "speed-browsing" as you described and as is to be found on the ipod. it's annoyingly artist by artist, name by name etc.
one can only speed it up by holding the scroll down button on the screen, otherwise you need the perpetually turn the central wheel below the screen until you find the right album or your wrist hurts.

ah, and here's the reason for my triple post saying:
Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting.
May I kindly ask the moderator to delete my double posts - thank you!

#8 ·
I have the 2010 model with Nav and the alphabetical song order drives me nuts. I finally just put my iPod in shuffle mode and get what I get. I did try using the Playlist feature in iTunes and it seemed to work sometimes and then revert back to alphabetical for no reason. Makes listening to certain things painful. Try creating play lists as a work around. The USB port with a memory stick and the Hard Drive all have the same problem. Really hoping this gets fixed - it is a GM Nav unit. As of now, there is no new Navigation update for the roads, so I'm hoping once that comes out it will fix that little issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.