PPC Upgrade stage 2 [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: PPC Upgrade stage 2

Vector-SS
29th January 2004, 03:44 PM
I was recently browsing the BSR website and i saw that there is now a stage 2 upgrade for the Linears which includes the cat-back exhaust system. Apparently it only adds 4 hp. Not exactly what i was hopin for, but for approximately 600 dollars extra, defintely not worth it in my opinion

joshd2012
29th January 2004, 05:02 PM
I wonder if that has something to do with the exhaust system used. That cat-back system looks very similar to the Saab Sport Exhaust which is an option. Apparently, its not supposed to be much better than stock, but who knows. I think if you went with an exhaust system from someone else, you might be better off than 4HP. Of course, exhaust is only going to get you so much after you maximize power production during Stage I.

Simon
29th January 2004, 06:22 PM
Worth considering when the original exhaust system decides to fall off...

mav238
30th January 2004, 12:02 PM
I was recently browsing the BSR website and i saw that there is now a stage 2 upgrade for the Linears which includes the cat-back exhaust system. Apparently it only adds 4 hp. Not exactly what i was hopin for, but for approximately 600 dollars extra, defintely not worth it in my opinion

One can really extract useful HP from cat back exhaust mods, but it really depends on where the performance "bottleneck" is located. If it's in the cat back exhaust, replacing it with a high performance system should bump HP significantly.
But if the bottleneck is at the exhaust manifold, changing the whole exhaust header with a true high performance unit will do wonders.

Vector-SS
30th January 2004, 03:33 PM
Mav,

I didn't quite exactly get what you mean. What do u mean by "bottleneck"?

mav238
30th January 2004, 04:19 PM
Mav,

I didn't quite exactly get what you mean. What do u mean by "bottleneck"?

Every time the engine goes through a combustion cycle, spent hot gases has to be exhausted quickly. But manufacturers facing requirements to meet cost and timely delivery of products will often opt for the most cost-effective way to move the cars from development to production. Thus, in the case of exhaust systems, they may not provide with the car the most efficient exhaust systems that would maximize the car's engine's performance. The gases need to "find" the quickest way out of the car's engine, and sometimes, it's not the exhaust after the cat, or sometimes it's not the muffler, that "slows" down the exhausting of the hot gases. Depending on how the car engine was designed, exhaust headers can be optimized to "pull" gases out as quickly as possible (everytime there is a turn in the piping, the outflowing gases has to slow down, creating "back-pressure), that is why performance pipes are of the mandrel type, where the turns are done smoothly, reducing the effect of slowing down of exhaust gases. The best is of course, a short straight pipe out of the engine. But we can't forget about the need for resonators and cats and other sound reducing components in the exhaust, which then puts a limitation on the perfect design of the exhaust manifold and piping.

pjku79
31st January 2004, 05:26 PM
yea mav that would be a good thing to know. might not be the exhaust at all.

WASAAB
31st January 2004, 05:54 PM
Some cars lose HPs by replacing stock to aftermarket exhaust system..
Also, replacing muffler won't give you significant HP up..
Only way to get more HP from Turbo vehicle is to Get a better flow Downpipe, Remove the cat converter..

I read in the Magazine that
For Supra TT, muffler = 15 HP up
Downpipe = 40HP up..
For Evo VIII, muffler = 3 HP down
Downpipe = 15 HP up.
Also, I found that most cars gain more HP from Air Intake system than the exhaust system..

So, My conclusion is 4 more HP up from muffler are great.
Nothing to complaint about..many cars do lose HP by having a aftermarket muffler. ( BTW gains Torque )
:P

SS
31st January 2004, 06:16 PM
Would someone be courteous and explain to me what the hell a downpipe is cause i dont really get it!! Is it something we can change on our car and is it good or not good ? Sorry guys!

finklejag
31st January 2004, 06:43 PM
The downpipe is part of the exhaust system. Its the pipe that bolts directly to the turbo exhaust manafold. On the SAAB. The cat is right after the turbo.

On my old VW 1.8T. I replaced the downpipe + cat on it. The stock diameter was 2.25 inches. The stock downpipes are usually flow resticted by the way they are produced. Most aftermarket ones have smooth curves and are bigger. This is a picture of a VW 1.8T made by Eurosport. I had this one on my GTI.

http://www.parts4vws.com/images/parts/18tdownpipe1.JPG

It will take at least two years before anybody comes out with a highflow cat and downpipe for the SS. It took three years for aftermarket companies to come out with downpipes for the MK4 VW's.

SS
1st February 2004, 03:23 AM
So fink, you are not recommending the BSR cat-back exhaust system ?

finklejag
1st February 2004, 02:50 PM
I think the BSR system is really good. The only problem with it is. It won't fit on your Vector. It is made to sit below the valence of the Linear and Arc. The Ferrita is probably the best cat-back on the market for the SS right now. It runs $600.00 US plus $180.00 to ship it from Sweden.

http://www.nordictuning.biz/news/pic/93ss3s.jpg

WASAAB
1st February 2004, 02:56 PM
Would someone be courteous and explain to me what the hell a downpipe is cause i dont really get it!! Is it something we can change on our car and is it good or not good ? Sorry guys!
Downpipe is simillar to Header on N/A cars..like 4-2-1 Headers for Imports..