BLOW OFF VALVE [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: BLOW OFF VALVE

HOBADNESS
28th January 2004, 03:36 AM
DID ANYONE CHANGE THE BLOW OFF VALVE ON A 03-04 9-3 VECTOR-AERO?CAN YOU CHANGE IT??

SS
28th January 2004, 03:41 AM
Lol, relax man! No i dont think anyone changed the blow off valve on their cars here, and i think it is possible but i am not sure if something is out for it yet!!

Javier
28th January 2004, 04:58 AM
Not possible to install the BOV in a T8 managed engine. Need to recirculate the air.

Cayman1
28th January 2004, 09:28 AM
Well just buy a recirculating BOV and not one that vents to the atmosphere.

Liquid Calm
28th January 2004, 12:14 PM
Don't think you can do a BOV, at least not a direct replacement of the stock one in a SS. I have looked and the bypass valve is on the outlet of the turbo.
I guess you could do a custom job and just unhook the stock valve. Put in an aftermarket BOV on the i/c piping. Don't think it would be worth it though as it still would have to recerc the air. If it is the Psss sound you are after fordge has a 1/2 recerc and 1/2 vent to atmos, it may work in a custom fitting. :-??

Cayman1
28th January 2004, 12:20 PM
When you say "bypass valve" do you mean wastegate?

I have never seen a blow off valve as a part of the turbo and i didn't think it was possible.

GenSaab
28th January 2004, 03:05 PM
My previous answer to this question (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17721&highlight=)

Cayman1
28th January 2004, 03:12 PM
Wow,

I guess there is a first time for everything.

Thanks for the info!

WASAAB
29th January 2004, 03:06 AM
DID ANYONE CHANGE THE BLOW OFF VALVE ON A 03-04 9-3 VECTOR-AERO?CAN YOU CHANGE IT??
Our 93ss don't have BOV but the Diverter Valve.
However, I seen this guy installed HKS BOV before on this site..
So, Nothing's impossible. :P

WASAAB
29th January 2004, 03:12 AM
Here is ..

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13949&highlight=hks+bov

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/files/my_hks_bov_close_edit_149.jpg
:P :P For my new buddy in Hawaii. :wink:

GenSaab
29th January 2004, 03:45 PM
There is a way to convert the stock valve to atmosphere dump 8) I have not had time to test it but have a prototype part on hand. A far more elegant solution. :wink: The ports from the central hole connect to atmosphere to allow dump and therefore make the really cool sound.

http://www.genuinesaab.com/temp/SSbov.jpg

Nick T

Cayman1
29th January 2004, 03:48 PM
Whoa!

I want one.

What's the price like?

WASAAB
29th January 2004, 06:49 PM
Hey, Nick :P
I'll be the first one to buy it from you.. :wink:
and When will you have it for sale? :P

sjhudon
29th January 2004, 08:04 PM
Ok I'm lost, what does any of this do? and what are the prices?

WASAAB
30th January 2004, 02:26 AM
Yes..it is intended for make a sound..PSST PSST.. :wink:
Basically, those are used to relieve some of hot circulating wastes go out to the atmosphere..to reduce hot air pressures from turbine and engine recirculates back to the engine.
:P

pjku79
30th January 2004, 11:35 AM
Yes..it is intended for make a sound..PSST PSST.. :wink:
Basically, those are used to relieve some of hot circulating wastes go out to the atmosphere..to reduce hot air pressures from turbine and engine recirculates back to the engine.
:P

yea im with you sjhudon, it sounds like from this post there is no improvement to performance with any other these parts just more turbo whistle. Is this correct? Sorry for my ignorance this is my first turbo. im use to working on my mustang not turbos.

Cayman1
30th January 2004, 11:37 AM
It also sometimes reduces turbo lag.

pjku79
30th January 2004, 11:47 AM
It also sometimes reduces turbo lag.

well thats a plus. im not sure i want to waste my time and money on a sometimes though. someone let us know how it works.

sjhudon
30th January 2004, 12:20 PM
Yea let me know if this has any kind of performance effect, because right now (and no offense to anyone who has done this) but it sounds like doing a mod for the sake of doing a mod. please correct me if i'm wrong.

pjku79
30th January 2004, 02:35 PM
Yea let me know if this has any kind of performance effect, because right now (and no offense to anyone who has done this) but it sounds like doing a mod for the sake of doing a mod. please correct me if i'm wrong.

yea its kind of like all those ricers out there that are completely stock with a loud muffler.

-andrew-
1st February 2004, 01:28 PM

There can be a performance gain in some cases. I'm fairly new to the Saab world, but from what it sounds like is Saab uses what's called a diverter valve (DV), not a blow off valve (BOV). Both a DV and BOV serve the same basic principal which is to relieve excess boost pressure when you shift gears, get off the throttle, etc to keep the excess pressure from stopping the trubo charger. The difference between the two is a DV releases the excess pressure back into the intake before the throttle plate, where a BOV releases it into the atmoshpere making that "woosh" sound.

Most people opt to install BOVs to get a loud noise out of it. Since it releasees into the atmosphere it can make more noise. There are cases where a good valve can make a difference. I also own a chipped 1.8T VW. VW also uses a DV, however the valve itself is fairly weak. It's known to fail under stock conditions, but with the chip and increased boost levels it can leak which is an obvious problem. I replaced the valve with an aftermarket DV which holds boost much better, and also responds quicker when it's supposed to open which can help reduce that turbo lag. (by releasing pressure more quickly, the turbo slows down much less durring shifts. The faster it's still spinning when the car tries to build boost again, the less "lag" you'll feel as the turbo has to spin up again.

pjku79
1st February 2004, 01:48 PM
makes sense to me, but i havent heard of anyone complaining about the DV on these cars. i guess not too many people have added mods or chiped them either though.

Liquid Calm
2nd February 2004, 11:02 AM
Nick,

Your part will be a great solution for anyone who wants the Psst sound.
This is like the pice the Neon SRT 4 guys get from mopar wright? They have the same problem we do as there D/V is part of there turbo to. I rember reading about a spacer that went in between the D/V and the turbo which alowed the boost to vent to atmso.

Please let us know when and how much this will be, I am sure you will have many takers out there. I will be one of them. :D I miss the psst sound I got from the bov on my old car.

Vector-SS
3rd February 2004, 04:23 AM
I would definitely buy that product. That psst sound is just amazing. But i wonder where the Genuine Saab member disappeared

GenSaab
3rd February 2004, 02:19 PM
I am not "gone" just very very busy. We should have these tested within a week. Then if all goes well they will be ready to sell. The key is in the testing! :wink:

The main result is basically more sound which is desirable to most people. The performance gains will be negligible.

Nick Taliaferro

Hmmm > Pffft :cheesy:

Edit: Price should be around $75.00

Cayman1
3rd February 2004, 02:20 PM
Nick,

Any idea on pricing?

CallipNCSUsaab
4th February 2004, 01:14 AM
like a kid in the candy store, I wast one.. so long its not too pricey.. 75 is okay I guess, but more than that seems steep for what it is.

Chilli
26th February 2004, 03:41 PM
im new to this forum, and ive been reading the debate about installing a BOV, i know people with nissans, which have an sr20 engine swap, the sr20 uses the same principal of recirculating air back into the inake...the solution was to just relocate the mass airflow sensor before the BOV on the intake, that way when it releases air into the atmosphere the exta air that is let out is not read by the MAS, the reason people were running rich before was becasuse the MAS read the ammout of air before BOV vented it , the computer then thought it was getting more air then what was really present. ....... Hope this helps..

MoviStar
27th February 2004, 04:20 PM
Whatever happened with the testing Nick? I have been looking all over for a product just like this and can't wait to order one. Also....any new word on the e-code bumper strips?

03_Saab 9-3
27th February 2004, 11:36 PM
Maybe the testing didn't go so well... but im hoping it did! I wonder if this would be a hard install... a DIY? Are we talkin major warrranty voidage here too? Very interested.

GenSaab
28th February 2004, 11:04 AM
Update, Things have been moving slower than hoped around here on new product development. Spending most of my time supporting the parts we allready have. :roll: We are starting to look for some more good help.

I will try and get somebody on it within next week.

NCT

WopOnTour
28th February 2004, 06:19 PM
As I'm sure you are aware Nick
Good help is hard to find! :wink:
Good luck on the project
WopOnTour

CallipNCSUsaab
15th March 2004, 12:22 AM
PPsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssttttttttttttttt ttttttt!!!!

oslowley
15th March 2004, 09:38 AM
I guess it's not ready yet, this is a must have mod.

03_Saab 9-3
26th March 2004, 04:31 PM
Hmm have we any new.. news on this?

CallipNCSUsaab
27th March 2004, 08:44 PM
looks doubtful... but I am still wanting it (for a low price :) )

Liquid Calm
22nd April 2004, 10:58 AM
Nick,

Any new news on this?

03_Saab 9-3
22nd April 2004, 11:15 AM
I emailed Nick the other day on this, he replied that they have been busy, and maybe by mid-summer it should be available.

Liquid Calm
22nd April 2004, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the info 03_saab 93

Damn Stereo
22nd April 2004, 04:15 PM
Go Fast Bits (www.gofastbits.com) replied to my email saying that there should be an adaptor that would fit with their HYBRID model on our car. I plan to visit New Dimensions, a US distributor of GFB, to find out more information on this.

MikeHart
22nd April 2004, 05:40 PM
The HKS one works pretty well on engines designed to run recirc BOVs. I know a guy who's got a SEAT Leon 1.8T that's running around 260bhp. He recently brought an HKS BOV and it's running great. I think it's the only BOV that'll actually work.

There's a sound clip here of the HKS working on a car (not sure what car....could be a Supra!)

http://www.20v-turbo.co.uk/sounds/hksSSBOV.mp3

jcancio
22nd April 2004, 09:18 PM
Is this the bov plate that everyone is talking about?

neapleaze
22nd April 2004, 11:12 PM
So what would you guys recommend... the Forge Dump Valve? or the HKS SSQV BOV? :-??

veritas137
22nd April 2004, 11:39 PM
Eh, don't go with the hks. I tuned the 1.8t for a few years and the hks was one of the worst.

I don't care what anyone says, if the stock system is designed to run a recirculating valve, the best replacement is a recirc valve. I have seen a couple setups that recirculated almost all the air, but let off a small amount for noise work, but if it were my car, I'd go with the best recirc valve I could find. And IMHO those are the Greddy and the gofastbits.

Cayman1
23rd April 2004, 10:06 AM
Is this the bov plate that everyone is talking about?

yep, that's the one.

is that on your car?

Automaggot
2nd June 2004, 07:56 PM
I hope these plates are coming along nicely!

CallipNCSUsaab
2nd June 2004, 08:04 PM
I am not "gone" just very very busy. We should have these tested within a week. Then if all goes well they will be ready to sell. The key is in the testing!

this was back in FEB.. I take it the "testing" is not going so well??

oslowley
2nd June 2004, 10:11 PM
I had emailed Nick at genuinesaab and he stated that they sold their test car so testing has been put off for now.

Boostedtrini
30th January 2005, 05:47 PM
Does anyone know what the status is of the plate?

drew_2003
30th January 2005, 11:42 PM
I would definitely be interested in getting one of these plates from Nick. That is if it will ever be available to us. Ive been looking at BOV for months now and the only one that seems like it would work would be the one from gofastbits. Its pricey but IMHO worth it. I love that PSSST sound :cheesy:

Automaggot
31st January 2005, 12:09 AM
Just get an open air intake... it's uber loud.

saab19
31st January 2005, 03:32 PM
Yep, it is, and the turbo sounds sick as well

ricot83
31st January 2005, 05:28 PM
im new to this forum, and ive been reading the debate about installing a BOV, i know people with nissans, which have an sr20 engine swap, the sr20 uses the same principal of recirculating air back into the inake...the solution was to just relocate the mass airflow sensor before the BOV on the intake, that way when it releases air into the atmosphere the exta air that is let out is not read by the MAS, the reason people were running rich before was becasuse the MAS read the ammout of air before BOV vented it , the computer then thought it was getting more air then what was really present. ....... Hope this helps..

u have this backwards the maf would b after by the way u r describing this. because the way u r describing it is the way it is stock. just like on our saabs.. the maf is before the diverter valve... one way of going around this would b to move the maf closer to the throttle body which in essence would eliminate the maf from ever seeing this air... then u would have the bov before the maf after the turbo...and the reason they run rich is because the maf reads all the air that is there, then when u vent to atmosphere, u lose that air instead of recirculating it like it was meant to do... thus this creates a rich condition. similar to all my buddies with dsm's they all run rich b4 they move their maf sensors closer to the throttle body...
not trying to prove a point just trying to teach u guys the right info.....

drew_2003
31st January 2005, 07:45 PM
Just get an open air intake... it's uber loud.

Got the open air but since my car is at the dealer for what i hope to only be a dead battery i havent installed it yet. Ive had it for 2 weeks and im itchin to put it on. Just been too cold and havent had much time.

saab19
31st January 2005, 10:41 PM
wow that sucks

SS
1st February 2005, 03:51 PM
There is one from Forge Motorsports coming out tomorrow! Its listed here. It actually improves throttle response!

Here it is: http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_168&products_id=2604

Automaggot
1st February 2005, 04:11 PM
Awwww, it's only for the Aero.

Booooooo! :evil:

saab19
1st February 2005, 04:35 PM
I agree, we need one for the linears

Simon
1st February 2005, 04:46 PM
There are two seperate products. One for the Aero and one for the 1.8t/2.0t...

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/default.php?cPath=28_168

ctrlz
1st February 2005, 05:24 PM
Hey! I don't see any harnesses for moving that MAF sensor. Must be an oversight:lol:

I still think you guys should generate the "Pffft!" sound with an effects chip and route it through AUX-IN:cheesy:

jcancio
1st February 2005, 06:00 PM
where does this part go? any cutting required?

drew_2003
1st February 2005, 07:57 PM
There is one from Forge Motorsports coming out tomorrow! Its listed here. It actually improves throttle response!

Here it is: http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_168&products_id=2604

OOOOOOH!! That is getting bought this weekend. Thanks for the info. $320 is more money than the gofastbits one but screw it. ITS MINE :lol:

nestoraero
1st February 2005, 08:59 PM
One more thing to add on my list....:D :D :D

Automaggot
2nd February 2005, 12:33 AM
Oh man. That must be uber loud combined with the Optiflow. Perhaps this summer I will buy it!

drew_2003
2nd February 2005, 07:57 AM
Oh man. That must be uber loud combined with the Optiflow. Perhaps this summer I will buy it!

I cant wait that long. :lol:

Bladey
2nd February 2005, 12:07 PM
as soon as someone fitted it let us know if its any good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simon
3rd February 2005, 12:21 PM
Here you go...

Forge Motorsport BOV fitting Instructions (http://www.partsforsaabs.com/info_documents/93ssBOV.pdf)