Looking to do some serious upgrades.... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Looking to do some serious upgrades....

Tra2xx
11th May 2002, 05:59 PM
Hey, I'm new to the board and I was wondering about some good modifications...
The Car:
1995 Saab 900 S (No turbo + 4 cylinder = no punch)
It has about 90,000 miles on it, its a 5 speed too. I was wondering where I could find information about doing a Turbo conversion, basically any go-fast sort of mod information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Davess4
11th May 2002, 06:17 PM
yeah, I was interested in doing some stuff like that. I got a non-turbo 9000. I haven't had much luck in finding information though.

93Saab900s
11th May 2002, 09:14 PM
from what i heard, its too much of a hassle to upgrade to turbo, its easier to just buy a whole new turbo engine, or a whole new car

Davess4
12th May 2002, 01:59 PM
Is this true even if you do the labor yourself? Cause I'm sure there are some people who like to do their own engine work, maybe even more than just buying a turbocharged engine. Just a thought...

conradFL
12th May 2002, 02:18 PM
not sure about the NG900 or 9000 specs, I think the pricey problem is that compression is too high.

Probably you could find an APC system at a junkyard for cheap, and of course a blower :smile:

there are guys who just bolt on a turbo to a SAAB n/a engine but keep boost @ 6, maybe 7-8 psi.

I'm probably missing a whole bunch of specifics, trying to be general....
You can definitely do it but it's not easy and to keep the price low you've gotta scour the boneyards

Tra2xx
12th May 2002, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the replies, I think I will sell for a faster car...

tom
14th May 2002, 01:51 AM
The problem are the N/A pistons. If you do the N/A to turbo conversion, you should replace the pistons with turbo spec, and this takes some time and commitment. But it is in no means undoable, just time consuming.

The electrical work is pretty straight forward.