what are other guages u want other than a boost guage? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: what are other guages u want other than a boost guage?

condaddy
29th May 2011, 08:21 PM
what are other guages that u need other than a boost guage? if you tell me one can u please the me the purpose of it and what does anyone know what my vacume should be at when im just idling?

IanT54
30th May 2011, 02:05 PM
I would get an oil pressure gauge, especially if your car is a T7. Low oil pressure is one of the main killers of these cars.

Vacuum should be about -20psi at idle.

fiveiron9688
30th May 2011, 02:35 PM
Another vote for oil pressure. I see about 17-18 in. Hg at idle on the vac/boost gauge.

GarrettCharger
1st June 2011, 10:54 AM
I would get an oil pressure gauge, especially if your car is a T7. Low oil pressure is one of the main killers of these cars.

Vacuum should be about -20psi at idle.

You are aware that (on earth) an absolute vaccuum is about -14.7 psig, right?

Sorry, had to make some sort of smartass comment on that one...

If you look closely at your average vac/boost gauge you will notice that while the boost scale is in psi(g) the vac scale is in inches of Mercury (in. Hg) However my car also pulls around 20 in. Hg (~9.8 psi of vac) when warmed up at idle.

Here is my gauge setup...

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk47/budleach/SANY0048.jpg

Boost/vac, AFR, EGT, Oil Pressure. I'd like to get an oil temp as well, but I don't know where i'd put it... I might get one of those digital multigauges in the future.

SaabNineThree
1st June 2011, 01:28 PM
Boost, Air to fuel, oil pressure.

like all of these should be common on why to have them, they well save you an engine ( if you tune it )

IanT54
1st June 2011, 02:50 PM
You are aware that (on earth) an absolute vaccuum is about -14.7 psig, right?

Actually I wasn't aware. I do see on closer inspection that the vacuum side is in in. Hg. Why is that?

What make are your gauges? I got a GlowShift AFR and it's driving me nuts at night because it's so bright. I've even resorted to sticking a post-it note on it!

Also, what did you do with your SID?

patterson2537
1st June 2011, 02:57 PM
quick question where's your Sid gone

GarrettCharger
1st June 2011, 09:40 PM
quick question where's your Sid gone

The pixels failed. I did the "fix" with an iron on the ribbon cable, and it gave it another year or so of life, but it slowly died out again. I just disassembled it, removed the screen and the housing, and tucked the circuit board neatly back into the dash.

GarrettCharger
1st June 2011, 09:44 PM
Actually I wasn't aware. I do see on closer inspection that the vacuum side is in in. Hg. Why is that?

What make are your gauges? I got a GlowShift AFR and it's driving me nuts at night because it's so bright. I've even resorted to sticking a post-it note on it!

Also, what did you do with your SID?

Not sure why the scale changes, maybe just to have the numbers look even, or it might just be convention carried over from the days of u-tube manometers.

My gauges are Autometer Pro-comp Ultra-lite, except the A/F gauge which is an AEM.